News   Jun 24, 2024
 205     0 
News   Jun 21, 2024
 4.9K     6 
News   Jun 21, 2024
 1.9K     3 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

Why aren't they removing the rest of the concrete roof, but keeping the original steel trusses, then add more glass directly on top of the original trusses? (I had thought there was some structural reason they couldn't do that, but seeing how they are dismantling the roof, it seems not.) Then you'd keep the heritage but get something that looked nicer than the original, imo.

Now that you mention it, that would be awesome! It would do a great job at visually linking the old and new sections, and make it much brighter and more pleasant.

I don't know if it could be a cost issue, because I expect green roofs are more expensive than glazing anyway. There may simply be some by-law requiring green roofs on structures with such enormous roof areas.

Now that you mention it, that would be awesome! It would do a great job at visually linking the old and new sections, and make it much brighter and more pleasant.

I don't know if it could be a cost issue, because I expect green roofs are more expensive than glazing anyway. There may simply be some by-law requiring green roofs on structures with such enormous roof areas.

I agree, I think that keeping the original support columns but replacing the roof with glass would look amazing. It would also solve the biggest complaint about the train shed as it is right now: it's too dark and dingy. Even with the new centre roof fixture, I still have my doubts as to how much light that's actually going to let in beyond that central section.

At the very least I hope the redo the lighting in the existing sections.

Any updates on the 3rd track for the Milton line ? Will it ever happen.

Considering 2012 was to be the completion date for the 3rd track as proposed back in 2008 and no track now, 2020 looks like a good date now.

CP wants 4 tracks in this corridor now, since this line is their main line to the US. I agree with CP on this since I have stated at every GO EA meeting that GO needs to be putting in 2 tracks, not the one track, as they will need both tracks down the road and not to tie to the RR for the other track if they went to one track.

Even if only 3 tracks were installed for this line which by the way does has some in a few places, Lisgar, Dixie, Cooksville and Kipling stations need a 2nd track now. Kipling does has a 2nd track, but CP store cars on it.

The big issue for this line is the fact that Metrolinx doesn't have the $1 Billion dollars to upgrade the line at this time since their money is going to the Georgetown Line so it completed by 2015.

There is an EA out there for this line, but flying below the radar due to funding. There was to be a few meetings this year for it, but expect to see it in 2013/14 at this time.

As much as I'd love to see GO really utilize it's routes, Milton, with all its potential, is getting shafted. And I'm not optimistic about it. Be prepared for many years of train-buses.

As much as I'd love to see GO really utilize it's routes, Milton, with all its potential, is getting shafted. And I'm not optimistic about it. Be prepared for many years of train-buses.

As was mentioned earlier in another thread, I think the best solution is to extend the York Sub (I think that's what it is, the line that runs just north of Steeles across York Region) along the 407 and then have it connect in Milton. That would provide a main freight bypass of the entire GTA, and allow the Midtown and Milton lines to have the tracks to themselves.

It may even be cheaper than the large expense of widening the Milton line ROW.

As was mentioned earlier in another thread, I think the best solution is to extend the York Sub (I think that's what it is, the line that runs just north of Steeles across York Region) along the 407 and then have it connect in Milton. That would provide a main freight bypass of the entire GTA, and allow the Midtown and Milton lines to have the tracks to themselves.

It may even be cheaper than the large expense of widening the Milton line ROW.

Sounds great, but is it feasible? possible? plausible?

Sounds great, but is it feasible? possible? plausible?

Certainly plausible. There may be a few engineering challenges along the way, but the 407 ROW between Bramlea and the 407-401 interchange, coupled with the hydro corridor ROW that runs parallel, is more than wide enough to accommodate 2 or even 3 tracks. It would run between just east of Bramlea Stn to just west of Lisgar Stn.

It will need a few bridges, and basically every major crossroad will need a new overpass or underpass. But when you look at the potential price tag vs upgrading the Milton line, I think this option would come out less expensive, and certainly less disruptive to both the nearby neighbourhoods and traffic.

EDIT: I did a Google Earth count, and it would require 7 new road overpasses (11 if you do secondary arterials as well). It will also require 2 highway bridges (over the 410 and the 401). It would also need 1 bridge over a river. So by no means an astronomical undertaking.

Last edited:
A number of meetings and walking tours schedule for May and June for the Georgetown line as well a few others. Info can be found ""HERE""

May 10
I don't remember a plus 30 bridge going in for the Erindale Station, but work underway for one now. The north end is up to the 5 floor with work taking place at the south end for the 2nd floor. They are building the new entrance off Burnhamthorpe now.
7174037574_fe7c2a729c_b.jpg

7174039480_5f55aa4e22_b.jpg

7174086716_707c03e0b0_b.jpg

7174002000_2fbaff294e_b.jpg

7174042018_a273368708_b.jpg

Wait what is this bridge connecting to?

The last photo show the location on the platform and will connect to the garage. I am assuming level 3 will the bridge location like Burlington, but don't remember seeing any supports for it.

If they are doing it here now, wonder if they will do it at Oakville?

More money down the tube.

The west side
7174009048_f7d70e9b26_b.jpg

Let me get this straight, so there'll be a bridge connecting the platform to the parking structure?

I think that was the pre-existing footbridge across Burnhamthorpe. It appears to have been placed on a temporary support and then disconnected while they built the new entrance to the car park into the slope on the north side of Burnhamthorpe.

Back