News   Jul 15, 2024
 221     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 374     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.9K     1 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

Canpa is useful as a contingency, but it’s not a silver bullet for full service. Lack of signalling, andlimited capacity on the Galt Sub. It will work for weekends bu thats all.

- Paul

Canpa will only be good if the Galt Sub is 4 tracks, otherwise, CP will call the shots. At the same time, it has to be rebuilt to current standards. Will add time to riders trips on the Lakeshore line.

We were heading to the EX on Friday and try to get shots of the Humber River work, but hard to get shots.

Aug 26
Bramalea Station
Part of the new west tunnel is dug and being built on the north side. Other than stripping the south platform, didn't see anything new today since my last visit. The platform edge for the east extension in place with various footing waiting to be built to match the ones already built.

I maybe wrong, but the south-east corner of Steeles and Bramalea is being rebuilt as a GO parking lot. Some of it is in place, but major work still in process for a temporary GO Parking lot. It will not be a fun walking in the winter to get to/from this lot, as it will be a long walk. This will free up space on the current lot to build the new parking structure and the station.

Torbram Rd
I didn't get a good look at the closure sign, but I could be wrong on the opening date. It said the road to open in Aug 2018, but more like 19. The KW bridge is the killer that is already behind schedule.

Various sections of the east retaining wall on the south side of the new 3 track KW bridge is built, with gaps between them. A huge round tank has been built were a retaining wall is missing. Now that tank is built, the retaining wall can be built. The west retaining wall is built as far as it can go south. I am assuming due to lack of space, only a 3 track bridge could be built now, with the 4 track being done after the the temporary bypass tracks are move onto the new bridge. Everything is in place to start putting tracks on the new bridge and across Torbram Rd bypass, since the road is close to all traffic. Don't expect to see traffic using the northbound lanes until 2019 and wouldn't be surprise the southbound lanes opening in 2020.

The intersection between the 2 bridges has been rebuilt along with new southbound lanes and sidewalk.

The CN Halton Sub underpass southbound lanes should be open to traffic either by the end of Sept or early Oct. They are getting ready to pour the last section curb on the north side, with a small section of retaining wall and sidewalk to be built. The road base is ready for concrete/paving material.

Looks like they can build more of the east retaining wall on the north side since they have removed part of the dirt for the road since I last saw it.

The whole road for the CN grade separation should be completed by summer of 2019, depending what work gets done this year after traffic is shifted to the underpass.

Hwy 401 Underpass
As I have said in the past, using Google maps or what every is only good to a certain point, but one needs to see the area in person by riding transit, driving, biking, walking and shooting the question area. It been sometime since I was at the Islington Overpass to comment on the maps and what been said about the track. The rain yesterday kill my visit to the area, but was able to get to it today.

No work has started at the 401, but various equipment has been setup to help in building the new tunnel.

Metrolinx built a stone retaining wall south of the overpass support columns when they added track 2 & 3 when rebuilding the corridor. They also have duct bank on the south side of the columns.

Between the support columns and the south pier support, there is a sloping embankment with large stones on top of it.

If one looks at the north side of the overpass, there is 2 lanes of traffic between the support columns and the north pier support. That pier support is a straight retaining wall that curves on both side of the road and in rough shape.

If one looks at the corridor on both side of the overpass, they can see track 1 stops north of the block signals, with tracks 2, 3 & 4 going under the overpass and the 401. Track 4 can be shifted to the south of the support columns after that area is dug out and the south pier support either being reinforce or a new retaining wall built haft way to allow clearance for the track and duct bank. That relocated track 4 will bend to get under the 401 location like it is today. Track 1-3 will also bend some what at Islington to line up with track going under the 401. Track 1 will bend more, as it will match the current track 2 (1), as well connect with track 1 at the signal block.

Stouffville line passengers: Track construction will be taking place between Scarborough and Kennedy GO Stations starting today, and continuing each day until Wednesday, September 5. Trains will need to operate slower than normal through the work areas, and delays of up to 10 minutes are possible along the entire line. This work is part of our plans to increase future service levels along the Stouffville corridor.

Keep getting this message these days. What track construction are they working on? Is it related to double tracking the section?

Metrolinx expanding nighttime rail work in Guelph
NEWS 11:01 AM Guelph Mercury

Residents living near ongoing improvements to the railroad tracks between Imperial Road and Edinburgh Road can expect more nighttime work.

According to a post on the City of Guelph’s website, starting Monday there will be increased night work, with Metrolinx notifying residents about the work.

The project, which started at the end of April, is seeing Metrolinx upgrade tracks and improve safety infrastructure on the tracks between Imperial and Edinburgh.

There have also been overnight work projects on the crossings near Silvercreek Parkway and Alma Streetover the past month.

RELATED CONTENT
Anyone looking to receive updates on this project is advised to sign up for the email distribution list by sending an email to laura.durie@metrolinx.com, or calling 416-202-3467.

https://www.guelphmercury.com/news-story/8862594-metrolinx-expanding-nighttime-rail-work-in-guelph/

Public meeting for Lincolnville Station.

Notice of Public Meeting
Lincolnville GO Station EA Addendum

Metrolinx, an agency of the Province of Ontario, is working to bring more transit connections to communities within the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area (GTHA) through the GO Expansion program. As part of GO Expansion, Metrolinx is planning to build the new Lincolnville GO Station in your community. On September 13, we are hosting a public meeting to provide information about the new Lincolnville GO Station and to get your feedback.

Thursday, September 13, 2018
6:00-8:00 P.M.
19 on the Park
19 Civic Avenue, Stouffville

The Project

Metrolinx is preparing an addendum to the Lincolnville Layover and GO Station Improvements Environmental Project Report (EPR) in accordance with the Transit Project Assessment Process (TPAP) set out in Ontario Regulation 231/08: Transit Projects and Metrolinx Undertakings. The TPAP has already been completed for the Lincolnville Layover site, and an addendum is required to evaluate the potential environmental effects of a proposed new station.

Project Location
The site for the proposed Lincolnville GO Station is located at 12902 and 12958 Tenth Line in the Town of Whitchurch-Stouffville, south of the existing station and layover site, on the Stouffville Rail Corridor.

^ There are some updates in there. Provides the status for example of the design work for the 401/409 tunnel, the freight bypass for the Kitchener Line, etc.

^ Yes. Status of the Bypass and I posted the quote here. This is the first time we've seen this date reference. Also, first time we've seen a design drawing update for the tunnel.

I knew there was construction at Oriole, but this is news to me. Sounds like the two stations will be better integrated.
Screen Shot 2018-09-07 at 2.01.24 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-09-07 at 2.01.24 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-09-07 at 2.01.24 PM.png
    154.8 KB · Views: 462
Agenda for the Sept 14 Metrolinx Board meeting is up.
Here is a disappointing, non-update on capital projects.

^ There are some updates in there. Provides the status for example of the design work for the 401/409 tunnel, the freight bypass for the Kitchener Line, etc.

"...the project includes the construction of a new 180m twin tunnel beneath Highway 401/409, located directly to the north of the existing tunnel, which will house tracks 1 and 2 after expansion of the Kitchener Corridor and electrification. Tracks 3 and 4 will remain in the existing tunnel."

That's a pretty nice tidbit of info IMO!

Is there 1 piece of information that was really new to you?
There were several things I wasn't aware of. Probably some I'd missed.
- 10% design for Finch West submitted in August,
- Geotechnical investigation for Finch West MSF started in August
- construction of Kipling Station bus terminal began in July
- Photography Drive bridge complete
- foundation work for TTC ventilation at south end of Eglinton station started
- 401/409 tunnel design at 60% completion
- new Union Station Bus terminal status

Back