News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 429     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

The CTC is operational. What you may have seen is the duplicate signals that have been installed in anticipation of cutover from the old signalling to the new. Apart from rebuilding Hamilton Jct with a new set of signals, CP is transitioning from conventional single-lens signals to the new diode-based three-lens signals. So you have lots of extra non-working signals sitting there waiting for the cutover.

As for the rusty rails, there isn't a need for two main tracks for the current GO service - but those tracks may be needed in future. CP and CN seem to route all GO trains over one route to Ham Jct, but which line is used changes every so often. Every so often one sees northbound and southbound freights meet at Desjardins, heading to/from the line to Campbellville, so both CP main tracks are available if needed.

- Paul

Thanks Paul. Sorry just to confirm and for clarity, I did see the duplicate signals where the LSW train moves from the CN to CP track but I was surprised to see the signals off in the portion indicated in red. I guess the freight traffic is low enough that it's not an issue?

2m1xdwu

^Yes, the CTC in that zone is in operation. I have very direct confirmation of that fact (not gonna go into details of that here).

There may have been maintenance in progress, or an operational issue that killed the power - was this around the time of the thunderstorms yesterday? That would explain why your train walked through the zone.

Or, some signals may be approach-lit.

- Paul

PS: The CTC only goes as far as the GO station at Hunter St. From there to Welland, the TH+B is dark territory.

Last edited:
As to the commuters from afar, far better that we improve 7 day, all day service on other routes rather than creating more spaces at Long Branch.

- Paul

That's noble...but one of the lines that people are travelling to LB from is not included in ReR at all and the other is only included subject to some agreement with CN which has been as achievable as finding an unicorn!

The problem is that the location of the dealership is not necessarily a great indicator of where someone is currently living. People will purchase vehicles a great distance away from their home to save a buck.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Lol, I live in Kitchener and bought my car from Mississauga Hyundai because they were the only dealer with anything close to the model I wanted to test drive, and treated me great while I was there. I almost feel bad that I haven't been back to them for any service. Almost.

Last edited:
The people living nearby Long Branch station do not owe those drivers a spot in a parking garage. It's an expensive, retrograde, and anti-urban idea that you're promoting (but then we have a retrograde government taking power at the moment, so live your dream).

Then you need to be strongly advocating for local bus connections to the GO train.

The people living nearby Long Branch station do not owe those drivers a spot in a parking garage. It's an expensive, retrograde, and anti-urban idea that you're promoting (but then we have a retrograde government taking power at the moment, so live your dream).

Then we need service on Milton, Brampton, etc to get done so the car jam stops.

Then we need service on Milton, Brampton, etc to get done so the car jam stops.
The car jam would be improved by charging for all parking spots at GO Stations, the price should at minimum be the same as 2 local bus tickets.

That's noble...but one of the lines that people are travelling to LB from is not included in ReR at all and the other is only included subject to some agreement with CN which has been as achievable as finding an unicorn!

Basically in the west end GO users on the Milton and Kitchener lines are screwed and you have to live close to Lakeshore or be willing to drive there to benefit from RER at all.

The arguments forwarded here are sometimes opinions, and sometimes facts posted by knowledgeable participants who know a lot from school and life experience.

This is a discussion board.

And one might strongly oppose a government that may forward policies which don’t represent one’s own closely held ideals.

But going after a poster for expressing a thought, or a view? Wrong. And from a staffer no less.

The issue is the issue on the table. Parking garage at Long Branch GO. Ad hominem sentiments have no place. Walter Bagehot would have been disappointed.

This is often attributed to Voltaire, but may have been written by a biographer about him. It is appropriate nonetheless.

‘Sir, I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.’

Last edited:
Just went by Exhibition tonight and they paved a small path w/ asphalt beside the current northern platform. Delete the picture I took by accident, but it stretches to the side door of where the current stairs are now.

Also saw this new sign. I'm sure this'll make things move *so* much better. Wonder if this is just to cover themselves for the impending lawsuit when someone gets trampled over after a game.
upload_2018-7-8_21-5-13.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-7-8_21-5-13.png
    upload_2018-7-8_21-5-13.png
    359.2 KB · Views: 844
Just went by Exhibition tonight and they paved a small path w/ asphalt beside the current northern platform. Delete the picture I took by accident, but it stretches to the side door of where the current stairs are now.

Also saw this new sign. I'm sure this'll make things move *so* much better. Wonder if this is just to cover themselves for the impending lawsuit when someone gets trampled over after a game.
That's beyond bizarre. I can certainly see the concern, I don't know what 'charge' they have in mind, other than ones not covered in their Bylaw. Have there been instances of obstruction in their quaint little sewer mains? In all fairness to Exhibition, I've witnessed the 'flood surge' at a few stations during peak. Staying pinned to the wall on the right is the best you can do when trying to get to the train they're all getting off from.
Wonder if this is just to cover themselves for the impending lawsuit when someone gets trampled over after a game.
I think you're probably right, but why haven't they posted these at other stations where the crush, unless you're physically fit, is dangerous and chronic?

Back