News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 409     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

Fantastic stuff, reaperexpress. Please keep this up over the years.

We don't have Google Streetview (Railroadview) Time Machine for tracks like we can do for streets.

I wish we could do Google Time Machine "streetview archaeology" with Metrolinx's GO network.
(Example: below)

AB6E2053-CBA3-411C-97CD-7CC08B677221.png

So seeing the before-and-after for many sections of GO. If only...

Your content is the closest thing to this for the Stoufville Corridor.

Attachments

• AB6E2053-CBA3-411C-97CD-7CC08B677221.png
    AB6E2053-CBA3-411C-97CD-7CC08B677221.png
    332.3 KB · Views: 763

We don't have Google Streetview (Railroadview) Time Machine for tracks like we can do for streets.

I wish we could do Google Time Machine "streetview archaeology" with Metrolinx's GO network.
(Example: below)

View attachment 150242

That's a cool idea, Google paying/get paid by Metrolinx/CN/CP and other rail corridor owners to take pictures of their corridors as an addition to the streetview network (cars, bikes, walking, snowmobiles) as trains.

Helpful video thanks for sharing. Increasing the speed of the video at certain points helped with viewing.

Great video - thanks for that !

Thanks all, I'm glad to know you're enjoying the videos. I like seeing the progress, and I figure I might as well film while I'm out so you can see it too.

I do have a decent set of videos for the Barrie Line double tracking, but the bidirectional weekend service made that a lot easier than the Stouffville line. I could take a weekend trip from Union to Maple, then it's only a 3 minute connection to the southbound train back to Union.

The only time the Stouffville line has a bidirectional schedule is during the weekday while I'm at work, or during the evening when it's too dark to take video for most of the year. I had to time this video specifically for when the days are the longest - and even then you can see that the video has a lot of reflections from the interior of the train. So no promises for a similar time series for Stouffville line progress.

Last edited:
When do we expect substantial completion of RER-route double tracking on both lines? What frequencies would we be able to get to in that case.

I'm not sure of RER levels of service, but after the currently tendered double tracking of Barrie and Stouffville lines, you should expect all day hourly frequencies between Aurora - Union - Unionville, albeit with bilevels.

I think both projects will complete end of 2019

When do we expect substantial completion of RER-route double tracking on both lines? What frequencies would we be able to get to in that case.

Not sure which two lines you are referring to. Unionville- Scarboro Jct was notionally to be done by 2019, But with the section south of Kennedy missing, and the fourth track to Union yet to be done, two way service is at best a 20 min headway, and 30 a safer bet.

As for Barrie, we don’t have tenders awarded. So no improvement over today until 2021 or later. And don’t forget the promise to Davenport residents that in effect trains won’t exceed hourly service midday and evenings until electrification is finished. Wonder what Doug will do with that promise.

- Paul

July 04
Noticed a number of switches have been partly removed west of Bathurst St
42758357454_74bf7d4e48_b.jpg

43475031561_84753f67ec_b.jpg

42758351784_1b9beb3be6_b.jpg

43475022271_1373ed011d_b.jpg

In today's Guelph Mercury-Tribune:
Overnight work on Guelph rail crossing starts Friday
NEWS 10:05 AM by Mercury Tribune staff Guelph Mercury

rpjGoTrainFiles0013_Super_Portrait.jpg

Metrolinx has announced it will be conducting overnight maintenance work on the Silvercreek railway crossing. The work is being done as part of improvements to the GO Transit Kitchener line. - Rene Johnston Toronto Star

Residents may see some equipment near the railway crossing on Silvercreek Parkway later this week.

Metrolinx has announced it will be conducting overnight maintenance work at the crossing between July 20 and 23. The work is part of upgrading existing infrastructure to improve GO Transit’s Kitchener line.

This is a continuation of the work Metrolinx started in late April, when it started clearing brush and vegetation and installing new fencing on the line between Imperial Road and Edinburgh Road.

With the latest slate of work, Metrolinx states that “residents may notice noise from the machinery and some ambient light from the site. The volume, frequency, and pitch of backup beepers are regulated by law and cannot be altered, as they act as a vital safety measure. Their use will be limited to essential work only. We will also mitigate any light necessary by pointing away from residential areas.”
https://www.guelphmercury.com/news-...t-work-on-guelph-rail-crossing-starts-friday/

I was through that ex-intersection (Silvercreek railway crossing. "Hanlon" sign sits right on top of where Silvercreek used to cross, an underpass planned, but signals and hut right on ground zero for that) just a week ago, and noticed the track sections pre-assembled with very heavy rail and much lower tangential turnouts. The road bed is going to need some levelling too, as the sidings now sit about a foot or so lower than the mainline.

Apologies for poor pic quality, it's an inexpensive cell phone I carry as I have a habit losing good quality stuff cycling long distance. I was taken aback at how the pre-assembly was done by a private company. Waybills were still attached to some assemblies.

upload_2018-7-17_17-8-28.png

upload_2018-7-17_17-9-25.png

upload_2018-7-17_17-10-11.png

upload_2018-7-17_17-11-4.png

upload_2018-7-17_17-12-3.png

upload_2018-7-17_17-12-51.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-7-17_17-8-28.png
    upload_2018-7-17_17-8-28.png
    586.8 KB · Views: 727
  • upload_2018-7-17_17-9-25.png
    upload_2018-7-17_17-9-25.png
    536.3 KB · Views: 737
  • upload_2018-7-17_17-10-11.png
    upload_2018-7-17_17-10-11.png
    509.7 KB · Views: 751
  • upload_2018-7-17_17-11-4.png
    upload_2018-7-17_17-11-4.png
    539.8 KB · Views: 737
  • upload_2018-7-17_17-12-3.png
    upload_2018-7-17_17-12-3.png
    642.5 KB · Views: 703
  • upload_2018-7-17_17-12-51.png
    upload_2018-7-17_17-12-51.png
    651.9 KB · Views: 739

Once the current construction work is complete, the line will have at least two tracks all the way from Unionville to Union, with the exception of the single-track segment between Kennedy and Scarborough Junction.

Green is existing segments with 2+ tracks, Amber is under construction
Screen Shot 2018-07-17 at 18.53.31.png

Given that it takes 4 minutes to get through the single-tracked segment, the theoretical minimum headway for bidirectional service would be about 10 minutes, so service could be scheduled about every 15 minutes. However, that frequent service would come at the expense of Lakeshore East and VIA services on the shared segment between Union and Scarborough, making it a non-starter. The City would also not be very happy with trains going at grade through the Danforth & Midland intersection every 8 minutes.

I think the most optimistic use of the tracks under construction would be 30-minute local service to Unionville all day, plus peak-period peak-direction express service to Lincolnville every 30 minutes. Anything more would be unfathomable without the planned 4th track on the Kingston Sub and some kind of resolution for the Kennedy-Scarborough Jct segment.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-07-17 at 18.53.31.png
    Screen Shot 2018-07-17 at 18.53.31.png
    758.9 KB · Views: 908
Last edited:
Given that it takes 4 minutes to get through the single-tracked segment, the theoretical minimum headway for bidirectional service would be about 10 minutes, so service could be scheduled about every 15 minutes. However, that frequent service would come at the expense of Lakeshore East and VIA services on the shared segment between Union and Scarborough, making it a non-starter. The City would also not be very happy with trains going at grade through the Danforth & Midland intersection every 8 minutes.

I think the most optimistic use of the tracks under construction would be 30-minute local service to Unionville plus 30-minute express service to Lincolnville in the peak period, peak direction. Anything more would be unfathomable without the planned 4th track on the Kingston Sub and some kind of resolution for the Kennedy-Scarborough Jct segment.

The double track at Kennedy starts north of the platform, so one has to add the dwell time in station for both trains to that four minutes of travel time. Plus, it would really mess up the Kingston Sub if meets at Scarboro Jct were so tight that an upbound train were sitting on a Kingston main track waiting for the Union bound train to come off the single track..... or even hitting restrictive signals as it came eastwards. So there has to be a gap of a few minutes after a train comes south-to-west before the next upbound is due. So, I’m dubious about even a 15 minute headway. Thirty minute headways would sure be better than hourly, of course, but it’s certainly closer to RER Light.

And....I still wonder whether a Mount Joy turnaround could be managed instead of Unionville.

- Paul

The double track at Kennedy starts north of the platform, so one has to add the dwell time in station for both trains to that four minutes of travel time. Plus, it would really mess up the Kingston Sub if meets at Scarboro Jct were so tight that an upbound train were sitting on a Kingston main track waiting for the Union bound train to come off the single track..... or even hitting restrictive signals as it came eastwards. So there has to be a gap of a few minutes after a train comes south-to-west before the next upbound is due. So, I’m dubious about even a 15 minute headway. Thirty minute headways would sure be better than hourly, of course, but it’s certainly closer to RER Light.

And....I still wonder whether a Mount Joy turnaround could be managed instead of Unionville.

Right, I forgot that the second track/platform at Kennedy isn't planned imminently. I guess they're waiting for Crosslinx to get out of there before starting on it.

If they don't run 15-minute peak direction service, then the question becomes what to do with the counter-peak service. Perhaps they would run 20-minute peak service to Unionville, with service only every 40 minutes counter-peak and north of Unionville?

Mount Joy to Unionville takes 15 minutes, so it wouldn't be possible to run 30-minute with the current single-track, given the need for turnaround time and recovery time.
Double-tracking through the centre of Markham would be a challenge, but maybe they could double-track Mount Joy station and south to just north of Markham station, then have a 30-minute layover at Mount Joy?

The double track at Kennedy starts north of the platform, so one has to add the dwell time in station for both trains to that four minutes of travel time. Plus, it would really mess up the Kingston Sub if meets at Scarboro Jct were so tight that an upbound train were sitting on a Kingston main track waiting for the Union bound train to come off the single track..... or even hitting restrictive signals as it came eastwards. So there has to be a gap of a few minutes after a train comes south-to-west before the next upbound is due. So, I’m dubious about even a 15 minute headway.
I'm reminded of 'Houlihan's Law'. What's that? Houlihan thought Murphy was an optimist.

State of the Art signalling and train control can do wonders with short stretches of single track, or even longer ones with passing sidings, but there's a limit that quickly comes into play when other complicating factors inevitably spoil two-dimensional models when the third dimension doesn't sing a harmony.

It's heresy to think it, but I wonder if using Scarborough Station as a turn-around terminal outside of peak shouldn't be considered to remove that 'third dimension' until sufficient pathings into Union are available? It might also make the number of consists needed as being fewer, and a heck of a lot easier to maintain schedules overall. If RER and/or more frequent service is running on LE, the inconvenience to the limited number of passengers off-peak is minimal.

To put that 'inconvenience' into perspective, the TTC had to drop the 'alternate B-D trains heading downtown' for exactly the issue of getting the 'Y' to function on a predictable basis.

Modern controls and signals could help by magnitudes, but not do the impossible. All it takes is one or two missed hand-offs, and the dance goes off the rails.

You hardly hear any complaints today about 'Suburbanites' right to a ride directly downtown'.

Back