News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 446     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

Meeting tonight:

I popped in to the afternoon session. It covered plans for Long Branch, Mimico, and the proposed Park Lawn stations.

At a high level, the details I found interesting were:

- RER program slide stated that 52 new trainsets would be procured - that's a rather specific number to throw out
- Mimico sees 1200 riders daily, projected 2K - 4K in a few years; Long Branch sees 1,000, projection is 1K-2K ... I was surprised that LB was that low compared to Mimico, would have expected the reverse.
- Timeline: RFP 2018, Contract award early 2019, construction starts 2020, substantial completion 2023; Park Lawn longer because of need to do an EA
- New report on Park Lawn due late 2018 leading to recommendation for funding and approval to perform the EA

I won't nitpick the designs - all were basically reasonable, with attendees offering lots of suggestions about little things. My big point is, all the things that ML previously said just couldn't be done at Park Lawn suddenly seem eminently doable. A real example of how the prime obstacle was the mindset of the bureaucracy, and not technical or environmental or business constraints.

- Paul

I popped in to the afternoon session. It covered plans for Long Branch, Mimico, and the proposed Park Lawn stations.

- RER program slide stated that 52 new trainsets would be procured - that's a rather specific number to throw out
- Mimico sees 1200 riders daily, projected 2K - 4K in a few years; Long Branch sees 1,000, projection is 1K-2K ... I was surprised that LB was that low compared to Mimico, would have expected the reverse.
- Timeline: RFP 2018, Contract award early 2019, construction starts 2020, substantial completion 2023; Park Lawn longer because of need to do an EA
- New report on Park Lawn due late 2018 leading to recommendation for funding and approval to perform the EA

I won't nitpick the designs - all were basically reasonable, with attendees offering lots of suggestions about little things. My big point is, all the things that ML previously said just couldn't be done at Park Lawn suddenly seem eminently doable. A real example of how the prime obstacle was the mindset of the bureaucracy, and not technical or environmental or business constraints.

- Paul
I was going to pop in tonight before I do my grocery run at No Frills. Worth going?

Any update on the Stouffville double tracking?

Rode the line a week ago. Lots going on, from Kennedy north. It's falling into place but I can't see completion in 2018, I would predict late 2019 from Kennedy north....but.....still single track south of Kennedy with no signs of mobilization down there. That's the Scarboro Jct conundrum playing out.

What about phase 2 of Barrie double tracking?

RFP for double tracking issued April 30th 2018, but no contract award yet. RFP for the Davenport overpass issued in February, also not awarded yet.

So it's in Douggie's hands to decide if it's a go, or not.

- Paul

Last edited:

- Paul
My assumption on this always was that while ML likes to say they are independent they really take their cues from the government and if they are told that something is a "no"....they are very good at coming up with explanations why....if the government says "do it" they will quickly figure out how and the explanation of "why".

I was going to pop in tonight before I do my grocery run at No Frills. Worth going?

Always worth getting your oar in. No presentation, just the story boards and some ML people on hand to discuss and answer questions. The plans are conceptual but detailed enough to be worth checking out.

- Paul

Always worth getting your oar in. No presentation, just the story boards and some ML people on hand to discuss and answer questions. The plans are conceptual but detailed enough to be worth checking out.

- Paul
There are two people from ML (don't remember the names, but certainly the faces) who were very intransigent about Park Lawn in the past two years who I truly hope will be there.

Remember him, @interchange42 ?

My assumption on this always was that while ML likes to say they are independent they really take their cues from the government and if they are told that something is a "no"....they are very good at coming up with explanations why....if the government says "do it" they will quickly figure out how and the explanation of "why".

With a healthy dose of "never deliver bad news to government". If it's gonna cost a bundle, or ruffle feathers, then deny, deny, deny.

- Paul

There are two people from ML (don't remember the names, but certainly the faces) who were very intransigent about Park Lawn in the past two years who I truly hope will be there.

Remember him, @interchange42 ?
I don't remember the particular Metrolinx planners of the top of my head, but maybe I'll recognize them this evening? I am curious as to who all will be there (and I'll be there close to the end of the meeting I suspect)!

I don't remember the particular Metrolinx planners of the top of my head, but maybe I'll recognize them this evening? I am curious as to who all will be there (and I'll be there close to the end of the meeting I suspect)!

That's what I'm hoping for as well. I'll be there around 7. See you there, maybe,

RFP for double tracking issued April 30th 2018, but no contract award yet. RFP for the Davenport overpass issued in February, also not awarded yet.

So it's in Douggie's hands to decide if it's a go, or not.

- Paul

The Davenport overpass had a lot of money thrown at extras to appease locals. After all money solves a lot of problems. I'm guessing but I would think that some of these extra's which added millions to the price tag may be removed from the RFP and re-tendered.

As for the Stouffville line, its double track north of Passmore Ave 100% now and becomes single track there going south. The north side of Steeles is double track with no swing from one side to the other like I saw the last time I was there.

Between Passmore and about 200' south of McNicoll Ave, the row on the west side has been clear and ready to start laying the base for the new #2 track. Lots of work still to be done going south and don't expect it will be done this year

Track panels are sitting on the north side of McNicoll to be place across it sometime soon for both tracks.

Never got around to look at other areas, as I was beat from the heat and walking so far this week. The Tracker has me doing just under 85,000 step and 70 km. This is since July 1st

No idea when work will start for the grade separation, but it can't happen soon enough to deal with the fools for this crossing. Cars park on the crossing due to traffic backup, people walking in front of the train as it departing the station northbound and can be seen on the video I was shooting. Then the women pushing her stroller with 2 kids in it and have a photo of that. As I was shooting a video, a women was caught up on here cell phone and almost walk into the side of the moving train.

Looking at the area again today, going to be tough to put in a bypass road to the north, other than being single lane to build the the underpass, since not much land there from the existing road to the new tower mast and signals control box.

This isn't directly related to GO construction but I can't think of a better thread. Took the GO train to Hamilton last night and to the Hunter St station. Passed through the work happening at Bayview Junction. Nothing further to note beyond what's been posted here. What I found interesting is that all the CTC signals on the CP line from Bayview Junction to Hunter Street station appeared to be turned off. Also, it looked like the tracks really aren't used that often but maybe that's just my perception. Is traffic down on this portion of the CP network? I also notice that the train travels pretty slowly from Bayview Junction into the Hunter Street station.

Bringing this back to the topic of this thread I wonder if a slowdown by CP would allow GO to do any upgrades on the track? Or do the curves and the tunnel really limit how much can really be done here?

- Paul

Display boards from the open house here.

Im looking at the prelim designs and I really cant fathom why theyre not taking this opportunity to make the platforms level with the doors. Theyre rebuilding the station, why not also modernise it to modern rail platform standards?? Have they not learned that level boarding saves significant amount of time?

HaHa....just when I was going to say that Long Branch should be one station that everyone should support more parking at and the construction of a parking garage ......I see that the new building will significantly reduce the amount of parking!

Back