News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 429     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

UPX. It's not identical, but close enough to see the capacity jammed at peak.
Upx is the model in which ttc should put for their subways. Fare by distance or zone is what almost all of the metros around the world uses and generates much more revenue. The increments dont even need to be markedly higher as well to be effective

Upx is the model in which ttc should put for their subways. Fare by distance or zone is what almost all of the metros around the world uses and generates much more revenue. The increments dont even need to be markedly higher as well to be effective
I'm referring to how they slashed the fare for *GO* Presto users, not *UPX* and usage multiplied. It's an example of 'slash the cost, and they will come'.

It still remains to be seen if this Ford regime honours what the Libs already promised. Ford and Accessories claim they will do all the Libs promised and more.

And I can fly to the Moon...

There is a planned fare reduction to $3 for GO in 416 area code.

Will Ford preserve that?

Wasn't that just another one of those pre Election promises by the Liberals? My guess is its dead.

I honestly think we should worry about the discount people are getting when transferring from GO to TTC. I could see that scaled back (like OHIP+)

As per at least this journo's take:
  • SmartTrack and GO service: Mayor Tory’s SmartTrack plan, which would add GO service within Toronto to supplement the TTC, is predicated on the province, which controls GO transit, lowering its fares to TTC levels. The cheaper GO fares are expected to cost Queen’s Park $90 million over three years, and if a new government pulls the plug on that plan, it would unravel SmartTrack and leave a big hole the city’s transportation plans.
But the Cons have stated that they will honour all that the Libs have promised on transit. So it remains to be seen what happens. If Ford screws Tory, guaranteed there'll be a shift to the left in the Mayor's chair, no matter who's sitting in it.

Here's how the Stun reports it April 5:
The Ford PCs responded in an e-mail that Wynne and the Liberals have proven time and time again that they can’t be trusted to keep their promises on the transit file.

“We support anything that makes life more affordable,” the PC party said, when asked if a Ford government would commit to the $3 GO Transit fares.

But Green Party Leader Mike Schreiner said in a statement that Ford’s “ire” with bike lanes, streetcar projects and light-rail transit expansion is well known.

“With Doug Ford at the helm, it’s questionable whether public transit would even be on the radar. His history suggests he cares more about moving votes than moving people,” Schreiner said.
http://torontosun.com/news/provincial/3-go-transit-fares-riding-on-election

Slippery, slimy and slithering answers from the Dougster.

As per at least this journo's take:
But the Cons have stated that they will honour all that the Libs have promised on transit. So it remains to be seen what happens. If Ford screws Tory, guaranteed there'll be a shift to the left in the Mayor's chair, no matter who's sitting in it.

Here's how the Stun reports it April 5:

http://torontosun.com/news/provincial/3-go-transit-fares-riding-on-election

Slippery, slimy and slithering answers from the Dougster.

simple answer is that other than the word subway, he has absolutely no idea what else is there. He has no idea how to implement it, where to find the actual money, how to plan for it, what ridership numbers mean, what other viable alternatives are there that is more cost and operaionally effective and will not listen to any expert advice that goes against his personal beliefs.

June 25
If I only look at photos I shoot
29261389758_4aee3c6b7f_b.jpg

43083130972_12df4dbaa0_b.jpg

43133315651_f6a8a58d29_b.jpg

43133309421_be58d7f547_b.jpg

29261384888_e499337c60_b.jpg

41322104740_0594dfc1df_b.jpg

Burlington GO Station
Standard illegal drop off
42414960684_57660d8e39_b.jpg

Not idea if Tim has every open here or not
28264312947_eeb4f0573b_b.jpg

No Burlington Buses yet and not Finish. Tower crane to come down the next day
42414958744_98d31bd14b_b.jpg

No idea if the tiles are being added or have been replace and is on going. You can see the different material between the top and bottom
42415118684_234f8463be_b.jpg

42415117094_3479ac0df4_b.jpg

42229751345_54212f5751_b.jpg

About time for directions markings. New green paint
29261990838_815d967eb2_b.jpg

Tim Hortons in Burlington has been open when I've passed through, once at 645am and another at 430pm, en route to a GO bus from the loop to Aldershot due to a last minute short turn by the train.

Incredible shots. The empty stations I won't comment on, I'd rather look at the elephants in the jungle of the outdoor shots you took.

You could post pics from Sumatra and they wouldn't look much different. It's incredible how tropical things are at this time.

Interesting photos I came across in a transit group I am in on Facebook.

They are of a GEXR freight train crossing the Credit River outside of Georgetown on the CN Halton Sub. The bridge seems to have a new-looking extra span (but no bridge yet) added, allowing 3 tracks to be accommodated. Upon further investigation on Google Maps, the line between Georgetown GO and Mount Pleasant GO seems to have all of its signal masts capable of supporting 3 tracks, and there is a grade seperation occurring the Creditview Road, that evidently opened in late 2017. No Google streetview yet, but some panning docs seem to either indicate that it accommodates at least three spans, or could accommodate more spans in the future.

So my question to the forum is, what Metrolinx project was this a part of, if it was Metrolinx's doing (Georgetown bridge spans and signal masts at least, as Creditview was a Region of Peel Project). Seems like a lot of work if track isn't going to be laid soon, which would be helpful in boosting service to Kitchener and helping with CN congestion. I'm confused, please explain this to me!

Edit: "Third Track Construction in Georgetown" is listed on the Metrolinx "For a Greater Region Kitchener Line" Page, but I can't find more info.

Photos by Blane Pebesma‎, from the Ontario Shortline & Regional Railways Facebook group:
erUoiYk.jpg

44GkpXj.jpg

Last edited:
That is on CNs portion of the line, so it's probably their working. And fairly standard fare - most grade separations and bridge structures are built for more tracks than are existing.

^That bridgework was from the GO Transit Infrastructure Improvement Program (GO TRIP) of about 2005-2009. There is little documentation remaining online from this project other than a few press releases.

It’s the same project that built Mount Pleasant station, and double tracked the Kitchener line from Brampton East to Peel, and added the third track Bramalea-Peel and Brampton-Norval.

Whats now evident is that while CN was happy to see GO improve the line - eliminating the single track segments sure helps the freight business - GO failed to adequately negotiate the right to use its investment fully - setting the stage for today’s bypass stalemate.

- Paul

PS: I wish I had started archiving GO/ML documents much earlier in my life. Things like the Kitchener GO EA have pretty much vanished from the web.

One thing that I did keep was the track chart from the Kitchener EA of 2009 - if anyone wants to see what the original track plan was, it's here.

- Paul

Last edited:
My understanding of the grand plan is as per @Allandale25's blue line: going all the way from the new bridge, merging into the existing North Track just west (south) of Bayview, where the new crossover is. Both CP lines will tie into the new blue line. What I don't know is what the crossovers will look like from the blue line over to the two existing tracks at Ham Jct. There has to be a path from the "Cowpath" (the connecting line to the CN Dundas Sub, heading west to Dundas) into Hamilton Yard, for CN freight. And there has to be some redundancy in routing for GO trains, they can't all use the blue line or there is no potential for 2 way routing. That's a very tight area to place the number of potential crossovers. And it's a big job to install them all..... and then test the signals further.View attachment 148431

June 25
29261389758_4aee3c6b7f_b.jpg

43083130972_12df4dbaa0_b.jpg

43133315651_f6a8a58d29_b.jpg

The only comment I'll make is when they tie in the third track with the Dundas sub, they'll have to make sure that it's not in a curve. Don't need a repeat of Silver!

The only comment I'll make is when they tie in the third track with the Dundas sub, they'll have to make sure that it's not in a curve. Don't need a repeat of Silver!

Amen.

In theory it ought to be simple, but CN has shifted the tracks down there so often that who knows.

I'm told (but not necessarily buying) that there is enough stuff buried under the junction (including the top of the road underpass) that the placement of the new signal bridges and switches was pretty tricky. That is the explanation offered for why the crossovers have to be 25 mph instead of 45mph.... no linear space for the faster but longer crossovers.

- Paul

Bayview routing.jpg

Attachments

• Bayview routing.jpg
    Bayview routing.jpg
    294.9 KB · Views: 602

Back