News   Apr 26, 2024
 109     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 148     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 574     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

Also, this new contract is up on MERX:

SQ-2018-CINF-040: Pre-Qual for Maple Parking Structure & Station Infrastructure

Metrolinx is issuing this Request to be Pre-Qualified (Stage 1 procurement) to establish a Prequalified List of Design Build Proponents with the necessary experience, qualifications and resource availability to design and construct infrastructure upgrades required in and around the Maple GO Station located in the City of Vaughan, details of which will be issued via the Stage 2 invitational procurement process.

Big photo dump of the 3rd track to West Harbour GO, and some of the station itself. Pending a little more ballast and tie-ins, it is close to being done.

Great shots! I assume the final track layout will look like this? [below lines added by me to show the third track extension]

2tJcykg

Those shots of CP/CN junction save me time trying to get the ones I shoot on Monday up later than sooner.

The blue track layout is about right, but doesn't continue west to connect with CP tracks as far as I know. There shouldn't be a switch there since I haven't seen any work for a signal mast in that area.

Was going to get some shots over at Bayview Junction, but got on to the 403 and head to Burlington by error.

Had a look at Torbram grade separations this morning and the road is close until July 16, but expect it to be longer than that. The sign said that the work is to be completed this year, but more like 2019 compare to the plan 2017.

By Sept, you should be using the west, north-south lanes for both directions under the CN 3 tracks to allow the northbound lanes retaining wall to be built and the removal of the grade crossing. This will allow traffic to be shift to the west so they can start work on building the east retaining wall for Metrolinx lines.

Most of the north side retaining wall is in place for the CN tracks now, with final grading next month or so.

They are starting to build the east retaining wall on the south side of Metrolinx corridor, with a chunk of the west retaining wall up and not much more until traffic can use the northbound lanes in 2019.

As for Bramalea Platforms, the south one is fully out of service and been work on. Both ends of the centre platform been work on to the point new style of platform edge support being install on the north side at the east end.

Since I can't get to the west end to have a look, can the south track connect to the mainline or is it a service track. I think this is the 4th time I been to the station and many years ago.

Having the bus bays and loops going in as per the drawing will better service everyone.

The one thing I would like added to this station as well all GO Stations, having more than one elevators regardless what being added by the parking garage. That extra elevator would be at the west end area.

No idea when I will have photos up and backlog at 1,500 at this time.

Cameras don't like me to the point, drop off one on Tuesday in Whitby for repairs & servicing, sack a month old one today, with a replacement being ship to me on Tuesday at no cost; have to send out a 300 zoom thats only 2 years old for repairs in July, considering I already had another done early this year that was older. Going to be well under 20,000 shots and videos this year.

Those shots of CP/CN junction save me time trying to get the ones I shoot on Monday up later than sooner.

The blue track layout is about right, but doesn't continue west to connect with CP tracks as far as I know. There shouldn't be a switch there since I haven't seen any work for a signal mast in that area.

I'm not sure I fully understand that comment. Why wouldn't the CN/GO have three tracks all the way through? Right now there are two CP tracks branch off of the existing CN/GO tracks. Why would these same two CP tracks simply branch off of the new three track CN/GO corridor? (and I realize there are two GO train lines splitting hear. One via CP to Hamilton and one via CN to West Harbour)

2tDs8ic

2KiRNXR

2Kud8JQ

Last edited:
I'm not sure I fully understand that comment. Why wouldn't the CN/GO have three tracks all the way through? Right now there are two CP tracks branch off of the existing CN/GO tracks. Why would these same two CP tracks simply branch off of the new three track CN/GO corridor? (and I realize there are two GO train lines splitting hear. One via CP to Hamilton and one via CN to West Harbour)

I forgot that CN use that blue track extension as part of the Bayview Junction and have see CN trains using it, but years ago.

There is to be 3 tracks up to the Bayview Junction where it will become 2. This will allow GO to get trains onto the new 3rd track sooner as well access to CP Hamilton tracks. One hopes there will be high speed switches there than what there now when work starts on that remaining section.

When one doesn't do much train watching these days, one forget about things seen in the past and this is one of them.

On Tuesday while in Oshawa, spent 3 hours train watching and years since I spent that much time doing so. Then, never train watch in that area at all and was very busy when I was there. Even saw an ex Santa Fe lease locomotive on a CN train in its old colour built in 1996.

There is to be 3 tracks up to the Bayview Junction where it will become 2. This will allow GO to get trains onto the new 3rd track sooner as well access to CP Hamilton tracks. One hopes there will be high speed switches there than what there now when work starts on that remaining section.
Thanks and no worries re memory. Happens to be all the time. I don't mean to belabour the question/point but I'm still confused. Is the plan to keep only two tracks between Bayview Junction and Hamilton Junction as shown on the map below? Or, will the third track run continuously to fill the gap?

2yQOYrv

CN Signals crews spent a weekend work block on the 15-17th testing the signals for the new crossover that was installed at Bayview. The signals design and testing is no small feat for this project, because there are so many routes, and the testing has to cover every possible combination of indications for every possible route, and every possible spacing of trains. Each of the successive approach indications has to be verified, to ensure they display the right indications leading up to a stop signal. That means testing the signals all the way back to Aldershot, and all the way onto the CP line.

As soon as they were done, the crossovers were spiked (locked in place) and haven't seen any use.... still a work in progress.

My understanding of the grand plan is as per @Allandale25's blue line: going all the way from the new bridge, merging into the existing North Track just west (south) of Bayview, where the new crossover is. Both CP lines will tie into the new blue line. What I don't know is what the crossovers will look like from the blue line over to the two existing tracks at Ham Jct. There has to be a path from the "Cowpath" (the connecting line to the CN Dundas Sub, heading west to Dundas) into Hamilton Yard, for CN freight. And there has to be some redundancy in routing for GO trains, they can't all use the blue line or there is no potential for 2 way routing. That's a very tight area to place the number of potential crossovers. And it's a big job to install them all..... and then test the signals further.

There will also be a new interlocking "Dundurn" between Ham Jct and West Harbour, to give a north end entry to the CargoFlow yard. You can see one of the signal masts for that interlocking in @alexanderglista's third shot.

I'm also told that the ongoing negotiations with CN over the Niagara extension aren't going much better than the Halton Sub negotiations. They will be continuing for a while yet.

Pardon my crummy paintshop - this is what I think I remember what I was told, it may be a little wrong, but you get the idea.

- Paul

Ham Jct Maybe.jpg

Attachments

• Ham Jct Maybe.jpg
    Ham Jct Maybe.jpg
    810.5 KB · Views: 793
Based on what I have seen so far. 3 track from Hamilton Yard to Bayview Junction, where the north track merger with the current centre track to cross the junction.

Like I said before, I like to see high speed switches replace the current one as it would allow trains to get through this mess faster and allow more trains to use the lines.

The last time I rode a Hamilton Train on CP Tracks to Hamilton, very rough ride through those switches.

Hours before Ford's swearing in:

https://blog.metrolinx.com/2018/06/...-of-metrolinx-plans-for-go-transit-expansion/

Metrolinx understands their audience. Pushing the grade separation aspect of RER (the most expensive part of the project) is smart. Even if all they were allowed to do is build hundreds of bridges (with extra track-space of course) it would make service expansion pretty trivial for the next premier.

https://blog.metrolinx.com/2018/06/...-of-metrolinx-plans-for-go-transit-expansion/

Metrolinx understands their audience. Pushing the grade separation aspect of RER (the most expensive part of the project) is smart. Even if all they were allowed to do is build hundreds of bridges (with extra track-space of course) it would make service expansion pretty trivial for the next premier.

I'm glad to see Metrolinx having a political understanding of Queen's Park, and a political nuance. They're fighting hard for to save GO RER.

Big photo dump of the 3rd track to West Harbour GO, and some of the station itself. Pending a little more ballast and tie-ins, it is close to being done.

PEk2tkk.jpg

PbJhnXk.jpg

ADmEuMJ.jpg

wXxP3LC.jpg

PEk2tkk.jpg

nyGTbft.jpg

ZrdKKQa.jpg

rSKImm7.jpg

ZrdKKQa.jpg

dOCmEWS.jpg

VVXFlpa.jpg

Qs1ErbE.jpg

hkgTS6w.jpg

nyGTbft.jpg

IqBmsuY.jpg

HZCZ8Pa.jpg

p0AUIMY.jpg

MSHtBk7.jpg
Anyone know if those searchlight signals would be up for grabs via auction or for free?

It's actually a really good thing. This will save lives and increase GO speeds. If there's one thing everyone, conservative or liberal, should agree on, it's this.

It's interesting that they put an electric train in that rendering

^ Good catch, although personally I wish it was an EMU, but I think for familiarity purposes it probably makes sense to uses today's rolling stock.

Back