News   Apr 23, 2024
 327     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 915     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 498     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

^ Good catch, although personally I wish it was an EMU, but I think for familiarity purposes it probably makes sense to uses today's rolling stock.
Every study for RER points to using EMUs in core sections and diesels/electric loco groupings or dual modes for travel distal to Oshawa, Aldershot, Barrie, Bramalea, and Lincolnville.

I'm glad to see Metrolinx having a political understanding of Queen's Park, and a political nuance. They're fighting hard for to save GO RER.
Or "GO Metro", if they rename GO RER.

RER is the subway to pickering, so just call RER the "GO Metro".

(A suggestion that a few has brought up -- myself included)

Or "GO Metro", if they rename GO RER.

RER is the subway to pickering, so just call RER the "GO Metro".

(A suggestion that a few has brought up -- myself included)
It goes to Markham too!

It would be hilarious if that was what DoFo meant - a metro system that consists of the current subway and electrified GO, with fare integration.

Smart move on Metrolinx's part. By building more grade separation RER becomes a true subway which it already is for most of the city of Toronto save electrification. Metrolinx should relabel the entire system as subway/Metro expansion. Ford could easily cancel RER and to most people it wouldn't mean anything because most people don't know what RER is and even fewer care but even Ford would never dare cancel a subway line. If Metrolinx were to spend less time and money on parking garages and station improvements and more on electrification and grade separation Metrolinx could proclaim to most areas of Toronto that subways are truly on the way and no Conservative MP is going to risk their next re-election on cancelling a subway to their community to save Ford's skin.

Not only would this make the most sense politically but it would also to the travelling public. Yes you can build garages, new stations, and improvements to the line but get the damn system up and running first and do those non-essentials later. This is where QP and Metrolinx blew it...………..they put the cart before the horse. If Metrolinx really wanted to add the pressure but not in a way that becomes a personal threat against Ford, they should get Tory and the TTC on board and have the subway maps showing the Metrolinx RER/subway system under construction like they did for the Spadina extension.

^we will still need fare integration. At the current fare I would imagine most commuters would rather squeeze on the crowded buses to the overcrowded subways because fares are cheaper and there are free transfers.

It would be hilarious if that was what DoFo meant - a metro system that consists of the current subway and electrified GO, with fare integration.
Keep in mind that Ford not only stated "subways, subways, subways" incessantly, Fedeli repeated it (perhaps euphemistically) just yesterday. And that Ford is on record of 'uploading the *subway*' from the TTC to the Province. Not mentioned that I can find is an intent for that provincial agency to be Metrolinx.

So what's left for the TTC? Nada...Ford claims to intend to continue the Libs budgeting and plans for Metrolinx. That remains to be seen. The 'audit of the books' is a 'get out of jail free' card for Ford to axe vast swaths of transit, including what is critically necessary for the 905 region.

"Blame it on the Libs, not me!"

^we will still need fare integration. At the current fare I would imagine most commuters would rather squeeze on the crowded buses to the overcrowded subways because fares are cheaper and there are free transfers.
There is a planned fare reduction to $3 for GO in 416 area code.

Will Ford preserve that?

There is a planned fare reduction to $3 for GO in 416 area code.

Will Ford preserve that?
People who dream about higher order fares being identical to local transit are just naive and dreaming pure fantasy. No large transit agency will ever justify this. There is a reason why there are different orders of transit. It's like asking via rail to have the same ticket price as a go bus from Toronto to Hamilton. It just wont happen and should not be expected to happen if one is to remain profitable.

Ttc commuters are already lucky that they can ride all of the network on 1 low flat price. They really shouldn't be complaining tbh

Back