News   May 06, 2024
 507     1 
News   May 06, 2024
 1K     0 
News   May 06, 2024
 688     1 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

Work at Bramalea Station has started, with the main platform now torn up and only half the cars opening their doors. The platforms are to be lengthened to allow for 12-car trains, along with new canopies and snow-melt system. A new parking garage and station building will come next, along with a new bus loop and accesses to Steeles Avenue for Brampton Transit/Zum connections.

https://www.gotransit.com/en/the-future-go/improvements/bramalea/bramalea

I'm told ML has instructed staff to keep lips sealed on the building. I'm hearing occupancy around end of summer, but the cutover to standalone GO dispatching may take up to a year from that.... lots to install and lots to extricate from CN's signals infrastructure, people to train, etc......
I bet.

Don't forget that Union needs to be integrated into this too, and the Union Station Rail Corridor is still controlled by a 1930s machine. It's so reliable compared to many flaky modern systems, that it hasn't ever needed to be replaced.

It's such a massive feat -- It sounded almost as complicated as demolishing & rebuilding all of Canada's airplane traffic control, in-situ, while airplanes are flying. Not quite. But conceptually almost as mind-bending!

There's CN, there's CP, there's that USRC machine, there's all that signalling systems that need to be hooked up to the new centre, and there's all the new GO infrastructure. And CN/CP needs to be modified to the new handover boundaries and change of responsibilities system-wide where the systems mesh together at the connection points. Ultimately, eventually, the whole region's GO trains will be monitored and dispatched by this new Oakville office.

I fear 2020 is more realistic, but here's to hoping for 2019 -- at least incrementally.

I bet.

Don't forget that Union needs to be integrated into this too, and the Union Station Rail Corridor is still controlled by a 1930s machine. It's so reliable compared to many flaky modern systems, that it hasn't ever needed to be replaced.

It's such a massive feat -- It sounded almost as complicated as demolishing & rebuilding all of Canada's airplane traffic control, in-situ, while airplanes are flying. Not quite. But conceptually almost as mind-bending!

There's CN, there's CP, there's that USRC machine, there's all that signalling systems that need to be hooked up to the new centre, and there's all the new GO infrastructure. And CN/CP needs to be modified to the new handover boundaries and change of responsibilities system-wide where the systems mesh together at the connection points. Ultimately, eventually, the whole region's GO trains will be monitored and dispatched by this new Oakville office.

I fear 2020 is more realistic, but here's to hoping for 2019 -- at least incrementally.

That old system is pretty impressive. Thanks for the link. Wanna bet the new digital system freezes on day one?

I just came across this about Go Transit Expansion in Newmarket and the Newmarket GO Mobility Hub Study which provides this plan:
Newmarket GO.png

Attachments

• Newmarket GO.png
    Newmarket GO.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 571
Work at Bramalea Station has started, with the main platform now torn up and only half the cars opening their doors. The platforms are to be lengthened to allow for 12-car trains, along with new canopies and snow-melt system. A new parking garage and station building will come next, along with a new bus loop and accesses to Steeles Avenue for Brampton Transit/Zum connections.

Yes, any cars west of the accessibility car are not opening.....sure makes this far west car I am in much less crowded

That's an awful lot of hyperbole. The fact that they have to keep a blacksmith on the staff for repairs tells you all you need to know about how "reliable" the machinery really is.

I'm told ML has instructed staff to keep lips sealed on the building. I'm hearing occupancy around end of summer, but the cutover to standalone GO dispatching may take up to a year from that.... lots to install and lots to extricate from CN's signals infrastructure, people to train, etc......

- Paul

My friends who fear the impending move are being told "fall" as the timeline for the operations staff to start being based out of there. They're also hearing that early 2021 may be a more realistic date for the signal system cutover.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Yes, any cars west of the accessibility car are not opening.....sure makes this far west car I am in much less crowded
They are also announcing on trains that the closure of parking spots in the west end of the North Lot at Bramalea starts on July 7 (I think they said 190 spots close) for construction.

In the announcement they got to great detail in telling people how to get to the south lot (although they should tell poor Kaitlyn how to pronounce Alfred Kuehne Blvd).....but miss a great opportunity to pump up the idea of not driving to the station....why not include in the announcement the BT routes that serve the station......or, if that is too much, just the words "may we remind you that BT also has 6 routes serving the Bramalea station and you can leave the car at home!"

Perhaps the most rebuilt and moved bus loop in GO's history?

If you include the temporary bus loop coming soon, there will be five loops in Bramalea Station's history:

- The original small loop between the parking lot and the Cashway property (similar to Malton's) with the direct access to Steeles Avenue. It only served GO Train-Buses and BT's train-meet routes (A, B, 15, 13/16)

- The second loop built after GO acquired the Cashway property and expanded the parking lot. A larger loop was definitely needed once the Highway 407 service started up.

I hated that loop: it required passengers to walk across a parking lot to get between buses and trains, which was especially bad when the few midday trains and the early evening train were introduced that went only as far as Bramalea. The train-meet buses (that replaced direct runs to Union Station) then could only turn right out to Steeles, requiring a roundabout route via Orenda Road that ate 5-10 minutes to go west to Shoppers World and Downtown Brampton.

- The third, existing loop which was larger and a huge improvement, but not large enough for all GO and Brampton Transit buses, and not too easy to get in and out for through routes (BT 11, 511, and 115 don't service it - the 115's northbound stop is really far away).

- The fourth temporary loop.

- The new one meant to accommodate all BT bus routes with better access and the shortest walk from the train platforms.

I can think of several stations that got replacement bus loops (Burlington, Oshawa, Oakville, Erindale) but not as many as Bramalea.

If you include the temporary bus loop coming soon, there will be five loops in Bramalea Station's history:

- The original small loop between the parking lot and the Cashway property (similar to Malton's) with the direct access to Steeles Avenue. It only served GO Train-Buses and BT's train-meet routes (A, B, 15, 13/16)

- The second loop built after GO acquired the Cashway property and expanded the parking lot. A larger loop was definitely needed once the Highway 407 service started up.

I hated that loop: it required passengers to walk across a parking lot to get between buses and trains, which was especially bad when the few midday trains and the early evening train were introduced that went only as far as Bramalea. The train-meet buses (that replaced direct runs to Union Station) then could only turn right out to Steeles, requiring a roundabout route via Orenda Road that ate 5-10 minutes to go west to Shoppers World and Downtown Brampton.

- The third, existing loop which was larger and a huge improvement, but not large enough for all GO and Brampton Transit buses, and not too easy to get in and out for through routes (BT 11, 511, and 115 don't service it - the 115's northbound stop is really far away).

- The fourth temporary loop.

- The new one meant to accommodate all BT bus routes with better access and the shortest walk from the train platforms.

I can think of several stations that got replacement bus loops (Burlington, Oshawa, Oakville, Erindale) but not as many as Bramalea.

It'll be six if they build the 407 Transitway and have any freakin' common sense to shift the station south.

Here's the new layout - and more details here.

There will probably be three phases at the traffic signal at Steeles Avenue: regular east-west traffic, buses exiting the station, cars exiting the station. I also hope that the new access to Bramalea Road is signalized for GO and BT buses to get in and out.
GOBramalea.png

Attachments

• GOBramalea.png
    GOBramalea.png
    195.8 KB · Views: 627

Back