News   Jul 05, 2024
 877     0 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 1.1K     12 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 517     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

Can someone explain why they're still using wooden ties over concrete ones? I get the outer borough lines, but for the Weston sub...come on CP.

Because there is simply no need to. Concrete ties need special machinery to handle and install - wooden ties can be done with three guys and a hammer. One derailment and every concrete tie needs to be replaced. And there is no speed advantage to be had by switching to concrete ties.

To be honest I'd much rather they were looking at plastic ties as they have all of the advantages of wooden ones without the drawbacks of splitting and variable lifespans.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

GO is using concrete ties on all of its current double tracking projects right now. I took a pic of a gigantic pile of them on the Lakeshore East line this weekend, these will be used for the stouffville double tracking:

IMG_0474.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0474.JPG
    IMG_0474.JPG
    227.8 KB · Views: 472
I think it's positive that the EA will follow the existing route through Guelph, because it will likely result in what's actually needed: an upgraded rail corridor that can serve both local and express trains at higher speeds, but not necessarily HSR-level speeds. It also makes it more likely that something will actually be built.

I could see a few peak trains skipping Guelph as long as there's enough demand for express Kitchener-Pearson-Union trips, but a limited-stop rail service making additional stops at Guelph and Brampton with faster trains would be a huge improvement.

Some interesting excerpts from today's ML Board Meeting Capital Projects Report. Sheds some light on a few projects that have been discussed here recently.

• In February 2018, CN commenced construction of a third track between the existing Hamilton Yard and the Desjardins canal, as part of the ongoing Hamilton Rail Expansion program.

• The Milton Corridor Capacity Study was completed and the final draft of the report is underway, following an extension to include scenario and potential impact of express trains.
  • The Union Station Trainshed project, which started construction in 2010, reached substantial completion in December.
  • The Technical Advisor for the signalling program is currently developing the project- specific output specifications (PSOS) and reference concept design (RCD) for all signalling work related to on-corridor infrastructure for Package 3, the network infrastructure work required for the RER program. This signalling work includes enhanced train control, new signals related to track expansion work and electrification readiness. The Technical Advisor submitted the Enhanced Train Control 50% PSOS for Metrolinx review in December 2017 and the Enhanced Train Control 50% RCD in February 2018.
  • The Whitby Rail Maintenance Facility was scheduled to reach substantial completion in December 2017. Project Co. submitted their Notice of Substantial Completion on December 14, 2017, but upon review by Metrolinx and Infrastructure Ontario, it was determined that the facility was not ready for operations and a Negative Opinion was issued to the Independent Certifier who agreed with the evaluation. The facility is anticipated to achieve substantial completion in March 2018.
- Paul

^ Speaking of Hamilton, in verbal remarks given to the board during his report, the CEO said he "toured Confederation GO under construction and that they [Metrolinx] got a lot of work to do with CN Rail to secure final agreements on how we operate on the corridor. Confederation is a big part of our service pattern in the Hamilton area in the future."

Because there is simply no need to. Concrete ties need special machinery to handle and install - wooden ties can be done with three guys and a hammer. One derailment and every concrete tie needs to be replaced. And there is no speed advantage to be had by switching to concrete ties.

To be honest I'd much rather they were looking at plastic ties as they have all of the advantages of wooden ones without the drawbacks of splitting and variable lifespans.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

But again, much less maintenance, and that will need to be essential on all lines with trains running less than every 15 minutes. I don't know where plastic ties are used but I would think it would be an environmental issue due to leaching plastic chemicals and such.

But again, much less maintenance, and that will need to be essential on all lines with trains running less than every 15 minutes. I don't know where plastic ties are used but I would think it would be an environmental issue due to leaching plastic chemicals and such.

Much less? Somewhat less, yes. But it doesn't seem that there has been any concrete evidence to yet suggest that the reduced maintenance and lifespan outweigh the additional upfront installation and handling costs. Not only that, but the advent of other tie styles - steel, plastic, to name but two - propose to offer many of the same maintenance savings while lowering purchase and handling costs versus concrete.

Plastic ties are already used in lots of locations in the Toronto area, especially level crossings where wooden ties would eventually degrade and fail. And frankly, I don't think that the concerns about leachate are any worse than those from wooden ties.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Noticed a few things on the Metrolinx Don Branch while driving (as a passenger) along the DVP. For starters, the half-mile bridge is now fenced off on both ends, to prevent people from trespassing. This is pictured below.

aCmoGwr.jpg

Additionally, the entire Don Branch between the Richmond Hill line and the half-mile bridge has had its extremely over-grown track cut back so it looks like a railway, not a bush again. Strange to see this work take place, without an impending reason. Yes, VIA envisions using this track for its HFR/Dedicated Tracks project, but that is still a few years away. Metrolinx has also upgraded the Canpa sub (mentioned here a while back) without any clear reason. Maybe it’s just keeping its lines up to date?Anyways, glad to see the Don Branch looking a little more fresh!

It might be entirely coincidental but changing ministers appears to have sped up Kitchener work quite a bit; or at least made it much more visible.
Well Kathryn McGarry is MPP for Cambridge so what did you expect. If we had a Minister from Ottawa I suspect the priority might have been up there!

Re Don Branch: isn’t this mostly likely about
1. Fencing to head off liability from trespassers who get themselves in difficulty
2. A minimal level of maintenance to ensure the trackbed isn’t compromised but not indicative of return to service any time soon

Sorry to just bust in here with a question a propos nothing but does anyone know what the what is (not) happening at Exhibition? I could build a bridge to St Catharines at this rate.

Additionally, the entire Don Branch between the Richmond Hill line and the half-mile bridge has had its extremely over-grown track cut back so it looks like a railway, not a bush again. Strange to see this work take place, without an impending reason. Yes, VIA envisions using this track for its HFR/Dedicated Tracks project, but that is still a few years away. Metrolinx has also upgraded the Canpa sub (mentioned here a while back) without any clear reason. Maybe it’s just keeping its lines up to date?Anyways, glad to see the Don Branch looking a little more fresh!
It's required by the Transportation Act and others, and just good property management to boot. CTA might have dropped an indirect hint with the Prince of Wales bridge and the Trillium Line case in Ottawa.

And there is the distinct possibility of work trains needing clear access to the bridge for maintenance...if not more.

Hat tip to @dowlingm who remarks much the same. Bottom line: They're on the ball, for whatever reason. That they replaced the track so fast after the Belleville underpass *finally* being finished is indicative of their sense of responsibility in maintaining the 'branch/spur' for many positive reasons.

Sorry to just bust in here with a question a propos nothing but does anyone know what the what is (not) happening at Exhibition? I could build a bridge to St Catharines at this rate.
Didn't you hear? Metrolinx announced that Exhibition station renovations were complete about a year ago! That plywood hoarding blocking the tunnel is the finished product. Enjoy!

In the meantime, they have plans for an upgraded station with extra tracks, a second tunnel, and a couple more Presto readers and will begin consultations soon with construction to begin at an undetermined time in the future! Exciting times!

Didn't you hear? Metrolinx announced that Exhibition station renovations were complete about a year ago! That plywood hoarding blocking the tunnel is the finished product. Enjoy!

In the meantime, they have plans for an upgraded station with extra tracks, a second tunnel, and a couple more Presto readers and will begin consultations soon with construction to begin at an undetermined time in the future! Exciting times!

Sick. Perfect. Ford elected. DST. This great news. Feels like Christmas up in here.

Back