News   Jul 05, 2024
 873     0 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 1.1K     12 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 516     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

the don branch line is not active. There has not been a train on it in years.. Metrolinx has gone as far as erecting fencing around the bridge that does not have a gate, meaning if they decided to run a train they would need to rip out the fencing.

Which makes all the issues with the updated don trail underpass so much funnier. Metrolinx required them to replace the track above, despite the entire line's track needing replacing before trains can be run on it again.

overbrush clearing is just minimal maintenance. The line is not going to be reactivated any time soon unless VIA's scheme starts to move forward.

Noticed a few things on the Metrolinx Don Branch while driving (as a passenger) along the DVP. For starters, the half-mile bridge is now fenced off on both ends, to prevent people from trespassing. This is pictured below.

aCmoGwr.jpg

Additionally, the entire Don Branch between the Richmond Hill line and the half-mile bridge has had its extremely over-grown track cut back so it looks like a railway, not a bush again. Strange to see this work take place, without an impending reason. Yes, VIA envisions using this track for its HFR/Dedicated Tracks project, but that is still a few years away. Metrolinx has also upgraded the Canpa sub (mentioned here a while back) without any clear reason. Maybe it’s just keeping its lines up to date?Anyways, glad to see the Don Branch looking a little more fresh!

For those who have a had the opportunity to stand or sit on that bridge and take in a sunset, congrats on seeing one of the most beautiful vistas in the city! I wouldn't know, but a "friend" tells me it's one of a kind. :rolleyes:;)

I guess next time he'll see it will be from and HFR train. Now that sounds exciting :)

20171022_173150.jpg
20160918_193328.jpg

Attachments

• 20171022_173150.jpg
    20171022_173150.jpg
    456.1 KB · Views: 524
  • 20160918_193328.jpg
    20160918_193328.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 482
Certain people who have taken pictures up there have told me that the crossties are in pretty poor condition, and care is needed even in daylight. At night, it's quite dangerous. I'm surprised that the bridge hadn't been secured long before now. One soul's exciting photo opportunity is another soul's 15 minutes of Darwinian fame.

- Paul

Certain people who have taken pictures up there have told me that the crossties are in pretty poor condition, and care is needed even in daylight. At night, it's quite dangerous. I'm surprised that the bridge hadn't been secured long before now. One soul's exciting photo opportunity is another soul's 15 minutes of Darwinian fame.

- Paul

Completely agree. One needs to be vigilant io the state of things. Ie don't run out like a fool across suchs structures at night and keep extremely cautious when your around century old abandoned infrastructures. Important to have your Whits about you lest you eat pavement below...

New renders for Agincourt, Milliken, and Unionville Stations from here and here.
Artistic_Rendering_of_Stouffville_GO_1.png

Artistic_Rendering_of_Stouffville_GO_2.png

Artistic_Rendering_of_Stouffville_GO_3.png

Artistic_Rendering_of_Stouffville_GO_4.png

Artistic_Rendering_of_Stouffville_GO_5.png

Artistic_Rendering_of_Stouffville_GO_6.png

Artistic_Rendering_of_Stouffville_GO_7.png

Artistic_Rendering_of_Stouffville_GO_8.png

Artistic_Rendering_of_Stouffville_GO_9.png

RER_Stouffville_GO_Ren_01.jpg

Attachments

• Artistic_Rendering_of_Stouffville_GO_1.png
    Artistic_Rendering_of_Stouffville_GO_1.png
    788.8 KB · Views: 827
  • Artistic_Rendering_of_Stouffville_GO_2.png
    Artistic_Rendering_of_Stouffville_GO_2.png
    712.4 KB · Views: 846
  • Artistic_Rendering_of_Stouffville_GO_3.png
    Artistic_Rendering_of_Stouffville_GO_3.png
    600.4 KB · Views: 820
  • Artistic_Rendering_of_Stouffville_GO_4.png
    Artistic_Rendering_of_Stouffville_GO_4.png
    387.6 KB · Views: 834
  • Artistic_Rendering_of_Stouffville_GO_5.png
    Artistic_Rendering_of_Stouffville_GO_5.png
    584 KB · Views: 801
  • Artistic_Rendering_of_Stouffville_GO_6.png
    Artistic_Rendering_of_Stouffville_GO_6.png
    848.2 KB · Views: 796
  • Artistic_Rendering_of_Stouffville_GO_7.png
    Artistic_Rendering_of_Stouffville_GO_7.png
    698.2 KB · Views: 869
  • Artistic_Rendering_of_Stouffville_GO_8.png
    Artistic_Rendering_of_Stouffville_GO_8.png
    694.4 KB · Views: 855
  • Artistic_Rendering_of_Stouffville_GO_9.png
    Artistic_Rendering_of_Stouffville_GO_9.png
    710.7 KB · Views: 813
  • RER_Stouffville_GO_Ren_01.jpg
    RER_Stouffville_GO_Ren_01.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 825

Looking at those renders............

It wasn't my imagination was it??

I thought Metrolinx put out renders of some stations implying a move towards full over-track canopy/roof?

Are you thinking about this for Maple GO?
Maple_ConstructionRendering.jpg

That's one of them, for sure, I was pretty sure there prelim. renders for Rutherford and Agincourt that showed something similar, but that may be a faulty memory.

Per the Mayor of Lincoln's tweet today: "It's official. Grimsby GO Station is announced a few minutes ago by MPP JIM BRADLEY Congratulations all round by @TownofLincolnON @Township of West Lincoln @NiagaraRegion Chair Al Caslin Great news for the economy of Niagara West communities and phase 1 for Niagara GO Train"

DYGMI0GWkAAMWTM.jpg:large

Didn't you hear? Metrolinx announced that Exhibition station renovations were complete about a year ago! That plywood hoarding blocking the tunnel is the finished product. Enjoy!

In the meantime, they have plans for an upgraded station with extra tracks, a second tunnel, and a couple more Presto readers and will begin consultations soon with construction to begin at an undetermined time in the future! Exciting times!
Language is no longer "complete" but "halted"

https://twitter.com/TOareaFan/status/970294879980085250

upload_2018-3-12_13-24-16.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-3-12_13-24-16.png
    upload_2018-3-12_13-24-16.png
    171.2 KB · Views: 706
Why can they not just open the god damn tunnel temporarily? I don't see what this has to do with digging up things twice. Metrolinx needs to cut with the bullshit, stop looking for excuses, and find a solution NOW. The situation is unsafe.

At work, I can go to jail if I create an unsafe environment - whether I intended to or not. We do what we have to do - even temporarily - to render things safe.

Back