News   Apr 26, 2024
 324     1 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 184     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 639     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

after RER the total at grade count for each corridor will be as follows:

Kitchener (Union-Bramalea): 0

Barrie (Union-Aurora): 10 road crossings, 5 farm driveway crossings, 1 busway crossing (Finch Hydro Corridor Busway). Total: 16

Stouffville (Union-Unionville): 8 road crossings, 1 pedestrian. Total: 9

Lakeshore East (Union-Oshawa): 3-4 road crossings (not sure if Poplar road will be closed or not), 1 pedestrian crossing. Total: 4-5

Lakeshore West (Union-Aldershot): 9 road crossings.

Total: 30 road crossings, 2 pedestrian crossings, 5 farm driveways, and a busway. 38 level crossings in all.

A lot of these could be eliminated without expensive grade separations mind you. The busway could probably be closed now that the spadina extension is open, frontage roads could eliminate the farm crossings, a lot of the smaller residential crossings could be closed, small ped tunnels or bridges could be built relatively cheap to remove those crossings, etc. Could get it down to the 25 range without a lot of money.

The busway still services the Finch Rocket, which is independent of the spadina extension.

bbbb
after RER the total at grade count for each corridor will be as follows:

Kitchener (Union-Bramalea): 0

Nitpick: I believe there is still one at Scarboro St in Malton

Total: 30 road crossings, 2 pedestrian crossings, 5 farm driveways, and a busway. 38 level crossings in all.

The Metrolinx study on this lists 185 level crossings, of which about a dozen are being actively separated. Not all of these are in RER territory.

ML will be working at grade separations for quite a while.

- Paul

ooh good point forgot the Malton crossing. Thanks.

Yes, there are far more on the greater network. Especially with the Niagara extension now, that has a huge amount of grade crossings.

Metrolinx officially has 10 crossings being separated as part of RER. The Davenport Diamond project is happening to eliminate another one as part of its scope, and I believe Oakville is advancing a separation of Kerr street independently of RER currently. There is also a few crossings that I believe Metrolinx is planning to simply close. Probably 12-15 crossings being eliminated in total right now.

Are currently constructed rail grade separations generally wide enough for 3 tracks, or are some restricted to 2? Of course there are some with 3+, but those are only for the Lakeshore Lines (I think).

Another thing he appeared to note at the luncheon, and someone correct me if I misinterpreted his words, is that perhaps 1/2 to 2/3 of Kitchener line and Stoufville line trains would become express after Bramalea and Unionville respectively, and that Bramelea-Unionville would essentially run as a through-service stopping at all the intermediate destinations.

The reason? A within-the-City-U eliminates negative impacts on the outer passengers by making sure they're on express trains, thereby lessening the negative impact of new stops within the City.

Metrolinx is just laughable at this point. Between these controversial stations and their fantasy Hydrail project, this is just horrific transit planning at its finest and both of these issues have Del Duca's hands written all over them. The degree to which he interfered with transit projects is just sickening.

Another thing he appeared to note at the luncheon, and someone correct me if I misinterpreted his words, is that perhaps 1/2 to 2/3 of Kitchener line and Stoufville line trains would become express after Bramalea and Unionville respectively, and that Bramelea-Unionville would essentially run as a through-service stopping at all the intermediate destinations.

The reason? A within-the-City-U eliminates negative impacts on the outer passengers by making sure they're on express trains, thereby lessening the negative impact of new stops within the City.

Bramelea-Unionville would essentially run as a through-service stopping at all the intermediate destinations - I believe that there is a name for this part - SmartTrack.

Bramelea-Unionville would essentially run as a through-service stopping at all the intermediate destinations - I believe that there is a name for this part - SmartTrack.

It's just the first time I've heard Metrolinx distinguish it as essentially its own service, not more trains on existing routes. For awhile they were careful to say their impression was just more trains on existing routes.

Toronto boundaries to Bramalea and Unionville is 6.3 km and 3.1 km respectively. If it really was SmartTrack an took TTC fares, Bramalea riders would be benefiting a lot.

I guess taking the Eglinton West LRT out of the SmartTrack plan and in its place extending it to Bramalea does make sense. However, this does put EWLRT to about the level of EELRT, though still a bit higher on the priority list.

Actually, some GO trains do this already, but passengers have to get off and reboard. Similrly, VIA’s Ottawa-Toronto trains morph into Toronto-Windsor trains upon arrival at Union. It makes for better train and platform utilization. It’s good to see GO marketing the through service.

- Paul

Metrolinx is just laughable at this point. Between these controversial stations and their fantasy Hydrail project, this is just horrific transit planning at its finest and both of these issues have Del Duca's hands written all over them. The degree to which he interfered with transit projects is just sickening.
It's interesting - so Del Duca pushed for Highway 7, Kirby and Park Lawn. Only Kirby (the one with the most abysmal IBC) gets through.

Park Lawn needs political interference given Metrolinx's inability to plan and continued intransigence.. I don't like to see it lumped in with the other questionable stations.

Toronto boundaries to Bramalea and Unionville is 6.3 km and 3.1 km respectively. If it really was SmartTrack an took TTC fares, Bramalea riders would be benefiting a lot.

I guess taking the Eglinton West LRT out of the SmartTrack plan and in its place extending it to Bramalea does make sense. However, this does put EWLRT to about the level of EELRT, though still a bit higher on the priority list.
I am interested in seeing how this SmartTrack fare works. I board the train at Centennial, one station north of Unionville. If I am paying $7-8 GO fare at Centennial but the $3ish TTC fare at Unionville, why wouldn't I drive to Unionville instead. I admit driving to Unionville during rush hour is a pain in the rear end.

I am interested in seeing how this SmartTrack fare works. I board the train at Centennial, one station north of Unionville. If I am paying $7-8 GO fare at Centennial but the $3ish TTC fare at Unionville, why wouldn't I drive to Unionville instead. I admit driving to Unionville during rush hour is a pain in the rear end.
This is just an idea of mine, but what if SmartTrack Stations had paid parking, while regular GO and RER stations didn't. There should be a way to balance it out so that one wouldn't be compelled to drive further to get a lower fare or no parking fee. Although, this might promote taking local transit or carpool/drop off.

Back