News   Apr 26, 2024
 403     1 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 195     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 657     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

Is there a specific reason why the Parliament/Cherry GO/RER/SmartTrack station is no longer in the RER/ST plan? Is it because the East Harbour GO station is close enough to Union and the Relief Line south is enough for the location? Also with this inverse logic, is the Spadina GO Station continuing even though it is close to King/Liberty Village GO Station because the Relief Line West is still decades away, as opposed to the Relief Line South, which should be in in 1-2 decades?

^ Maybe I'm missing what you're trying to suggest. Wouldn't an concept for a Parliament/Cherry station simply have been moved to East Harbour because it is the closest to the Relief Line? Doesn't it make more sense to have the West Harbour station where it's proposed instead of between Cherry-Parliament?

^ Maybe I'm missing what you're trying to suggest. Wouldn't an concept for a Parliament/Cherry station simply have been moved to East Harbour because it is the closest to the Relief Line? Doesn't it make more sense to have the West Harbour station where it's proposed instead of between Cherry-Parliament?

Besides the East Harbour station will span the Don and serve West Donlands anyways. The only thing it won't have is convenient interchange with 514 Cherry, but that's a small price to pay.

AoD

Why not both?

You can't. The western end of East Harbour Station is literally at the eastern end of the original Cherry St. Station.

AoD

I googled it and the LaughTrack site has disappeared the GO Richmond Hill/Don Branch Lines from the East Harbour Station schematic.
http://smarttrack.to/smarttrack/new-stations/east-harbour-unilever-station/
I thought the Cherry/Parliament St station would only be served by the Richmond Hill Line, therefore it would only need one platform. It actually kind of makes sense as the East Harbour station is served by the rest of the East lines.

20180221_160817_HDR.jpg

At Kennedy Station now. A southbound Stouffville train and a SRT. One got on and three off.

Attachments

• 20180221_160817_HDR.jpg
    20180221_160817_HDR.jpg
    218.3 KB · Views: 335
Last edited:
20180221_161028_HDR.jpg
20180221_161039_HDR.jpg

Looking Southwest on Kennedy GO platform. South and west portion is fenced off for the construction of the west GO platform and a new pedestrian underpass.

Attachments

• 20180221_161028_HDR.jpg
    20180221_161028_HDR.jpg
    219.3 KB · Views: 289
  • 20180221_161039_HDR.jpg
    20180221_161039_HDR.jpg
    244.6 KB · Views: 304
Last edited:
20180221_161259_HDR.jpg

Looking to the north of the platform. The ROW opens up to the east, but the website says that they are adding a west track?

Attachments

• 20180221_161259_HDR.jpg
    20180221_161259_HDR.jpg
    285.3 KB · Views: 407
View attachment 135179

Looking to the north of the platform. The ROW opens up to the east, but the website says that they are adding a west track?

On a temporary basis, the double-track will begin immediately north of Kennedy Station. The signal diagrams show the current track becoming the east main, with the new track to the west - I would therefore assume that they will slew the tracks to the east to allow that to happen. The section to the south will be completed later on, once Metrolinx has figured out what they want to do with Scarborough Junction.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

I was up that way today.... lots of progress being made, but the new track clearly won’t be ready in 2018. The longest lead item I could see was the added bridge work over the creek south of Sheppard. It appears to be in very initial stages only.
One note of interest was how the parallel SRT trains overtook my GO train. That sure makes the case for electrification, especially if the ST stop is added at Lawrence.

- Paul

I was up that way today.... lots of progress being made, but the new track clearly won’t be ready in 2018. The longest lead item I could see was the added bridge work over the creek south of Sheppard. It appears to be in very initial stages only.
One note of interest was how the parallel SRT trains overtook my GO train. That sure makes the case for electrification, especially if the ST stop is added at Lawrence.

- Paul
Yes SRT trains always overtake GO. If you read the electrification thread it seems QP is planning on hydro trains. I am not sure what that will mean to the whole RER project...

Yes SRT trains always overtake GO. If you read the electrification thread it seems QP is planning on hydro trains. I am not sure what that will mean to the whole RER project...

If they decide to use hydro trains on this corridor, they effectively kill Smarttrack.

Back