News   Mar 28, 2024
 1.2K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 629     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 909     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

If they decide to use hydro trains on this corridor, they effectively kill Smarttrack.

Are we making assumptions here, or do we actually know the acceleration profile of hydrogen trains.

I know we assume they might be slower than catenary electric, but do we have hard numbers on that?

^ Good question. Did the Feasibility Study touch on acceleration?

Don’t have the report on my phone so can’t look for any data - but - what I recall reading said that acceleration from a stop will be handled by battery rather than from the fuel cell. The fuel cell provides a slow recharge which combined with regenerative braking readies the battery for the next cycle.

So the issue is, how well do standard available batteries provide peak current for a short period, and how robust are batteries in that kind of charge-recharge cycle.

I’m not optimistic that battery could compete with catenary for those short peak-current cycles.

And note - this design would not suit VIA HFR or GO HSR where the duty cycle is different. VIA may need to string wires anyways.

- Paul

Took a visit to Burlington GO tonight. Thought I would post some pictures of the (FINALLY) completed station. Such a massive, massive upgrade over the old station crapbox.. Probably one of the nicest GO stations right now, actually. (Maybe Oshawa is nicer? haven't seen the new station building there)

The Station from the bus loop, the near 1,000 unit Paradigm condos under construction looming in the background:

IMG_0421.JPG

Some nice textured paving:

IMG_0423.JPG

Interesting accessible parking, cars drive up onto sidewalk level, instead of dropping sidewalk level to the level of the parking spot:

IMG_0432.JPG

The station interior:

IMG_0426.JPG
IMG_0428.JPG
IMG_0429.JPG
IMG_0431.JPG

And of course, Tim Hortons. Wonder how busy this is during the morning rush. Closed at 9:30pm on a Friday..

IMG_0430.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0421.JPG
    IMG_0421.JPG
    112.9 KB · Views: 280
  • IMG_0423.JPG
    IMG_0423.JPG
    158.2 KB · Views: 313
  • IMG_0426.JPG
    IMG_0426.JPG
    150.9 KB · Views: 312
  • IMG_0428.JPG
    IMG_0428.JPG
    71.6 KB · Views: 311
  • IMG_0429.JPG
    IMG_0429.JPG
    130.2 KB · Views: 304
  • IMG_0430.JPG
    IMG_0430.JPG
    199.3 KB · Views: 303
  • IMG_0431.JPG
    IMG_0431.JPG
    159.2 KB · Views: 304
  • IMG_0432.JPG
    IMG_0432.JPG
    161.8 KB · Views: 295
"MetroLinx will be entering into an access agreement with Parks in order to allow their contractor to enter the rail corridor on the east side of Corktown Common. The work is required as part of Metrolinx's signal and track-switching upgrades. This is not part of the Union Station Rail Corridor widening plan that was initially proposed along the south limit of the park.

The construction is expected to start at the end of March and to continue (though not continuously) for one year. Most of the work will take place week nights between approximately 8:00 p.m. and 6:00 a.m. and on weekends in order to minimize conflicts with the commuter train schedules. MetroLinx is using the park for access purposes only, and all equipment and materials will be stored in the rail corridor itself."

Are the platforms fully covered? Also are any more condos planned in the area? The location is great.
After 4 years of building Burlington new Station, it should look nice. Lot of room for retail in the station. No idea if Burlington Transit has moved back to the new bus bays, but GO is using some of theirs.

The south platform is cover.

Its taken a long time to get development next to the station and will be sometime before another condo site take place. It took almost 10 years to get the Walmart there, with the city opposing the location for it. Used to be farm land and in use until Walmart got the go ahead to built there.

The current Paradigm condos site calls for 5 towers with 3 being built at this time. Looking at the site, you can get more than 5 towers on the site.

If Metrolinx builds the extra levels for the parking structure, the current south lot can be redevelop to house underground parking with more condos on top of it, with retail at the base. You can build more condos to the east of the station, but decades down the road.

As for Oakville, there is a plan if it sill alive to shift the station to the east with new bus bays, but far down the road. Again, the current parking lot could have underground parking with development on top of it, along with retail at the base.

I was at Corktown Common yesterday for a few hours. There appears to be some work going on in the GO storage yard, and possibly some on the eastern track of the Richmond Hill/Don Branch approach, but the latter was too far to be sure of.

The reference in @DSC post to “initially proposed” - has there been a change to GO’s plan for track E0? (Also DSC what’s the source of the text above?)

I was at Corktown Common yesterday for a few hours. There appears to be some work going on in the GO storage yard, and possibly some on the eastern track of the Richmond Hill/Don Branch approach, but the latter was too far to be sure of.

The reference in @DSC post to “initially proposed” - has there been a change to GO’s plan for track E0? (Also DSC what’s the source of the text above?)
(appointed) Councillor which was circulated to neighbourhood groups.

No change for the plan to expand EO as far as I know. There will be another public meeting this spring.

Tried for a better look today, there were what looked like ballast wagons on the Richmond Hill east track with a smaller (spoil?) wagon behind and a flat or two. No activity though.

I see that the Lakeshore East Guilford to Pickering stretch is finally getting underway which is great news. That will basically bring the entire Union to Oshawa section of the Lakeshore line up to full grade separation. Is there any plans to bring Union to Aldershot {RER section of Lakeshore} up to grade separation? I think the goal should be for the entire RER system to be grade separated effectively making a subway/Metro service

I see that the Lakeshore East Guilford to Pickering stretch is finally getting underway which is great news. That will basically bring the entire Union to Oshawa section of the Lakeshore line up to full grade separation. Is there any plans to bring Union to Aldershot {RER section of Lakeshore} up to grade separation? I think the goal should be for the entire RER system to be grade separated effectively making a subway/Metro service
Stouffville Line will still have 3 to 4 level crossings.

after RER the total at grade count for each corridor will be as follows:

Kitchener (Union-Bramalea): 0

Barrie (Union-Aurora): 10 road crossings, 5 farm driveway crossings, 1 busway crossing (Finch Hydro Corridor Busway). Total: 16

Stouffville (Union-Unionville): 8 road crossings, 1 pedestrian. Total: 9

Lakeshore East (Union-Oshawa): 3-4 road crossings (not sure if Poplar road will be closed or not), 1 pedestrian crossing. Total: 4-5

Lakeshore West (Union-Aldershot): 9 road crossings.

Total: 30 road crossings, 2 pedestrian crossings, 5 farm driveways, and a busway. 38 level crossings in all.

A lot of these could be eliminated without expensive grade separations mind you. The busway could probably be closed now that the spadina extension is open, frontage roads could eliminate the farm crossings, a lot of the smaller residential crossings could be closed, small ped tunnels or bridges could be built relatively cheap to remove those crossings, etc. Could get it down to the 25 range without a lot of money.

Back