News   Jul 22, 2024
 500     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 613     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

There is a transition time for new ministers - they can't exactly jump in full swing. They need to get familiar with their subject matter.

That said, I don't expect the 3 times weekly press conferences Del Duca preferred.

Oh, I'm aware. There are even places that are 100 feet underground. I'm just making sure that you're aware.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.
Hell, I'd love to see an interchange between Castlefrank/Broadview and Richmond Hill GO RER ("DRL Express") by 2050.

Once most of current "Metrolinx 2041" Big Move is already built (2050,2060?) and the Richmond Hill TTC subway extension is built, then Richmond Hill RER can be a sort of a rapid bypass to reduce some north-south load. With added infill stations closer to downtown too. Yes. In the Valley.

I've been on an escalator that long.... in Washington DC.

There's a Washington Metro subway station with an escalator with more than 100 meter vertical elevation change -- same height as Prince Edward Bridge deck!!

Could be large inclinator vehicles (not preferred), a zero-wait gondola (so it doesn't feel like a transfer), but could be a very long covered high-efficiency escalator too.

Let's not forget the future potential for interchanges in the Don Valley -- the vertical elevation change is not that insurmountable and more interchange opportunities is needed network-wide to properly grid-out our freuent rail rapid transit, reduce car dependance systemwide.

Only "when it's time" -- aka a few decades from now.

Last edited:
McMeekin said negotiations for track access or twinning continue with rail corridor owner CN. Those negotiations have been going on since at least late 2011, when then-premier Dalton McGuinty came to Hamilton to promise all-day GO for the city.

But McMeekin added the federal government is now involved in the negotiations, which he said he understood to be going well.

Now, *that* is interesting. Nothing like the eve of an election to get the Ottawa and Ontario Liberals aligned.

- Paul

Not sure if this one on GO Ex Station has been posted - from the Jan Ex Board Meeting:

Item: http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgendaItemHistory.do?item=2018.EP8.2
Presentation https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2018/ep/bgrd/backgroundfile-112265.pdf

From Presentation:

upload_2018-2-12_13-23-17.png

upload_2018-2-12_13-30-9.png

AoD

Attachments

• upload_2018-2-12_13-23-17.png
    upload_2018-2-12_13-23-17.png
    635.6 KB · Views: 323
  • upload_2018-2-12_13-30-9.png
    upload_2018-2-12_13-30-9.png
    737.3 KB · Views: 467
Last edited:
What's the timeline for completion? This project is years overdue and it would be good to see a bit of direction and goal setting coming from the people supposedly managing the process.

What's the timeline for completion? This project is years overdue and it would be good to see a bit of direction and goal setting coming from the people supposedly managing the process.

None I am aware of - years more I think (I vaguely remember someone mentioned a planning timeline for the next two years with no words on construction start). For what is ultimately a rather simple project.

AoD

Last edited:
RER RFQ (package 3, the big one) expected in March or April.

For Package 2, which he said was a combination of six new stations, six SmartTrack stations and the renovation of more than 36 other stations — “so a fairly significant project” — he mentioned “spring.” For Package 3, he said the RFQ is set to go out at the end of March or early April. A slide he presented indicated March for the Package 3 RFQ.
The RER project involves the installation of new systems and infrastructure for the electrification of five GO lines over the next 10 years.
Package 3 also includes vehicle procurement and maintenance and operation of the entire GO fleet.​

https://canada.constructconnect.com...8/02/io-targets-march-april-rer-package-3-rfq

Sorry if this news has already been posted. I knew it was coming but didn't know the timeline.

RER RFQ (package 3, the big one) expected in March or April.

For Package 2, which he said was a combination of six new stations, six SmartTrack stations and the renovation of more than 36 other stations — “so a fairly significant project” — he mentioned “spring.” For Package 3, he said the RFQ is set to go out at the end of March or early April. A slide he presented indicated March for the Package 3 RFQ.
The RER project involves the installation of new systems and infrastructure for the electrification of five GO lines over the next 10 years.
Package 3 also includes vehicle procurement and maintenance and operation of the entire GO fleet.​

https://canada.constructconnect.com...8/02/io-targets-march-april-rer-package-3-rfq

Sorry if this news has already been posted. I knew it was coming but didn't know the timeline.
Wow...actual RER and infrastructure details aside, I find the continual emphasis on this being 'partnered' encouraging. Ontario is tapped out for big spending, and there's little choice but to involve private capital. I don't think a lot of Ontarians and Torontonians realize the change coming.

This paragraph really struck me as being positive:
Toigo said, “We have had the benefit of talking to many world partners the last two to three weeks to hear what their concerns are with this and how we can best deliver it and there has been a lot of discussion in the industry on how to actually engage on these projects.”
"world partners". And with that comes "world" rolling stock and methods.

Bring it on!

Back