News   Jul 12, 2024
 217     0 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 5.3K     0 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 900     6 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

Something is happening behind the scenes, but slowly. Don't know much of the details to be honest, and even if I did, I couldn't say anything.
You sound like Anne-Marie Atkins. Something has been happening behind the scenes, but slowly, on this file for coming up on 7 years.

Walking through the tunnel on Sunday night gave me bad flashbacks to last year after TFC playoff games. It is NOT safe. This situation is unacceptable.

You sound like Anne-Marie Atkins. Something has been happening behind the scenes, but slowly, on this file for coming up on 7 years.

I'd rather have insertnamehere keep his job and sound like Anne Marie Aikins than make you happy with more specific information.

I'd assume some of the foot dragging on Exhibition relates back to the Western Waterfront Plan. If there are significant changes coming to the Exhibition LRT loop, with a possible extension West, than that may affect plans for Exhibition GO.

That said the situation is indeed dire. On nights where there are events at BMO, Ricoh, and Budweiser Stage there are upwards of 60,000+ people pushing through that area counting attendees and staff. A single tiny tunnel is a dangerous choke point.

At minimum a pair of foot bridges at either end of the station, one meeting up with Jefferson Ave and the other meeting up with Hanna Ave, would relieve some of the congestion. However, the tunnel itself also needs to be expanded to at least double it's current width.

I'd assume some of the foot dragging on Exhibition relates back to the Western Waterfront Plan. If there are significant changes coming to the Exhibition LRT loop, with a possible extension West, than that may affect plans for Exhibition GO.

That said the situation is indeed dire. On nights where there are events at BMO, Ricoh, and Budweiser Stage there are upwards of 60,000+ people pushing through that area counting attendees and staff. A single tiny tunnel is a dangerous choke point.

At minimum a pair of foot bridges at either end of the station, one meeting up with Jefferson Ave and the other meeting up with Hanna Ave, would relieve some of the congestion. However, the tunnel itself also needs to be expanded to at least double it's current width.

Foot bridges over the tracks would be a welcome addition, even if just temporary, to siphon off the people who are just 'passing through' Exhibition Station on their way to Liberty Village. It would help leave the tunnel for people who are actually using Exhibition Station as a GO Station.

Metrolinx has known for years that they will have to change the entrance for the EX loop extension. The extension is a done deal with money being ask to take design from 30% to 100% and go out to tender on it in the 2018 budget.

There should be 2 tunnels with accessibility access with the other between Dufferin and current one. It needs to be wider than the current one.

It also means the EX will have to give up parking and storage space for this new access point.

Two new Metrolinx tenders out on MERX:
Supply & Delivery of Track Material for West Track Enhancement
Metrolinx is accepting Tenders for The Supply and Delivery of Track Material for West track Enhancement.

Each Tender must be accompanied by a bid deposit in the amount of $500,000.00 in the form of a bid bond or certified cheque payable to Metrolinx

RFP-2017-COCB-041 - Design Build Construction of 6 Secure Bike Rooms @ 6 locations

Metrolinx is accepting bids (“Requests”) for RFP-2017-COCB-041, which Work relates to the design and construction of six (6) secure bicycle rooms at six (6) GO station sites, as more particularly described in Appendix “B” – Owner’s Statement of Requirements.

Reactions: rbt
Where is the "West Track Enhancement"? Is that Union Station Rail Corridor West?

Yes. The design contract was awarded in July 2016 but I don't recall what it involved.

"... will add new track and improve existing track to increase speed capabilities and additional mainline capacity at the east and west limits of the Union Station Rail Corridor."

There is an East Track Enhancement project too which adds a couple more tracks (one in the storage yard and a 4th main-line track).

Between these and the additional south platform Union is going to be a mad-house of construction for a number of years to come even as the main parts of the station finish up.

Last edited:
Yes. The design contract was awarded in July 2016. I'm not sure what it involves.

"... will add new track and improve existing track to increase speed capabilities and additional mainline capacity at the east and west limits of the Union Station Rail Corridor."

There is an East Track Enhancement project too which adds a couple more tracks (one in the storage yard and a 4th main-line track).

Between those and the additional south platform Union is going to be a mad-house of construction for a number of years to come even as the main parts of the station open.

Thanks. So the design is done, does "supply & delivery of track material" mean it's a RFP for a contractor to bid and then actually start building?

I have been in on the dicussion about Exhibition station for a long time.....and, yes, foot bridges or additional tunnels or widening the existing tunnel will all help and are necessary.

A very small improvement, though, is sitting right there.....it has been two years now since the tunnel has been pushed through to the future new platform entrance on the north side....yet they have yet to open it up. Just that tunnel extension would help things by pushing the Liberty Village/KingWest bound people straight ahead and the only people turning right or left would be people headed for the Lakeshore WB train.

Thanks. So the design is done, does "supply & delivery of track material" mean it's a RFP for a contractor to bid and then actually start building?

On MERX it is listed as a "PT" or Public Tender - So I assume it is a straight contact out for tender for materials for the project (no pre-qualifying), and not for constructing the track itself.

I'd rather have insertnamehere keep his job and sound like Anne Marie Aikins than make you happy with more specific information.
Fair enough. I'm not specifically asking him to reveal information that is confidential. My comments are more borne out of frustration over a situation that has dragged on far, far, too long. Especially as part of the solution is already done (see comment below by TOareaFan).

I have been in on the dicussion about Exhibition station for a long time.....and, yes, foot bridges or additional tunnels or widening the existing tunnel will all help and are necessary.

A very small improvement, though, is sitting right there.....it has been two years now since the tunnel has been pushed through to the future new platform entrance on the north side....yet they have yet to open it up. Just that tunnel extension would help things by pushing the Liberty Village/KingWest bound people straight ahead and the only people turning right or left would be people headed for the Lakeshore WB train.
This is what is so frustrating. This tunnel extension would make a huge difference on it's own, and yet they just leave it sitting there. Just take down the hoarding already.

And what is stopping them from opening the tunnel extension that is already complete? Why is the tunnel that we have already built and paid for not being opened and put into use? We've already waited 7 years for this first tunnel, do we now have to wait another 7 more because they want it to coincide with the Western Waterfront Plan? Enough is enough. This has been going on for years already. They are letting perfect become the enemy of the good.

Ontario announcing tunnel extension in 2009
Improving GO Transit Service in the Greater Toronto Area and Hamilton
April 3, 2009 11:35 A.M.
Ministry of Transportation

• Exhibition Station:
      • A pedestrian tunnel extension and new north tunnel entrance will be built, an elevator will be installed, the platform will be widened and a snowmelt system installed. Construction is expected to begin spring 2010, and be completed in winter 2011. These improvements will allow for improved customer access to train platforms with new and extended tunnels, as well as improved customer comfort with wider and snow/ice/salt-free platforms.

Metrolinx facebook updates from 2013
https://www.facebook.com/MetrolinxOfficial/posts/10151684424178035
Metrolinx
May 22, 2013 ·
We’re at the Exhibition GO Station. Excavation work is underway for the future pedestrian tunnel extension to conveniently access the platforms. http://bit.ly/10ytDFk

----------

Nous sommes à la gare GO d’Exhibition. Les travaux d’excavation sont en cours pour le prolongement du tunnel piétonnier qui facilitera l’accès aux quais. http://bit.ly/10ytDFk

See Translation

Exhibition GO Station; April 2013
We’re at the Exhibition GO Station. Excavation work is underway for the future pedestrian tunnel extension to conveniently access the platforms....
FLICKR.COM

Metrolinx pauses work in 2015 for Pan-Am Games
GO Transit is about to take a Pan Am pause on its Exhibition station modernization. But most of the $32.5-million makeover remains incomplete three years after construction began.

Concerns raised over Tunnel capacity in November 2016 (after TFC playoffs)
The regional transit agency said it’s working on a permanent fix, which might include options such as a wider tunnel or an additional access way.

“We’re looking at all of that to make it easier for people,” said Aikins.

But before Metrolinx does that, the agency said its’ priority is electrifying that stretch of the GO rail line. Aikins said work to alleviate the strain on the Exhibition GO station tunnel will begin some time after that.

Some tweets from February & March 2017
upload_2017-5-3_18-12-4-png.107548

upload_2017-5-3_18-9-43-png.107547

So now there cannot be a permanent fix until the tracks are electrified? For Lakeshore West, that's what, 2024 - 2025? Gimmie a break. Delay, delay, delay. Push everything off until tomorrow. Another day in the life of Metrolinx.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fair enough. I'm not specifically asking him to reveal information that is confidential. My comments are more borne out of frustration over a situation that has dragged on far, far, too long. Especially as part of the solution is already done (see comment below by TOareaFan).

This is what is so frustrating. This tunnel extension would make a huge difference on it's own, and yet they just leave it sitting there. Just take down the hoarding already.

Are you @studs_up_tackle and did you send in an email? Just curious what the response was from the email if it was sent and if there were any other Metrolinx/GO replies you didn't include above?

Last edited:
Are you @studs_up_tackle and did you send in an email? Just curious what the response was from the email if it was sent and if there were any other Metrolinx/GO replies you didn't include above?
No, neither of those handles are mine. Those tweets were posted in this very thread back in May 2017.

Back