News   Jul 15, 2024
 723     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 881     1 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 625     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

no, just speculation about how it would be done if it ever were. An Uxbridge extension hasn't even been mentioned by Metrolinx in the last decade or so. They have no real interest in it. Though at this point, there aren't many more valuable extensions left after RER is done.

Sorry I'm a little confused. Does this report imply that train service to Uxbridge is actually happening? If so, when?

Sorry for the confusion, there is NO Current plan for immediate extension to Uxbridge. Metrolinx/GO Transit has owned the rail line all the way to Uxbridge for many, many years. Rail extension will come one day, but nothing right now.

If you've ever wanted to know how much the Bowmanville and Niagara Extensions will cost, it appears the number is now being put into the Capital Working Group's reports. See page 2 in the June 2017 version.

If you've ever wanted to know how much the Bowmanville and Niagara Extensions will cost, it appears the number is now being put into the Capital Working Group's reports. See page 2 in the June 2017 version.
> 1/2 a Billion $ (of the 2014 variety...so more now) to get GO trains to serve Bowmanville?

> 1/2 a Billion $ (of the 2014 variety...so more now) to get GO trains to serve Bowmanville?

Given the length and scale of the bridge over the Oshawa GO parking lot, over the 401, and then under the CP Rail spur via the creation of an underpass, I wonder how much of the $550M budget that takes up? Guess we'll have to wait a few years for the breakdown.

Given the length and scale of the bridge over the Oshawa GO parking lot, over the 401, and then under the CP Rail spur via the creation of an underpass, I wonder how much of the $550M budget that takes up? Guess we'll have to wait a few years for the breakdown.

I am not an engineer....so I am not questioning whether it should cost that much for that length of line....but how many people are going to get served by this extension? On a cost per rider if the goal was to make the Scarborough subway look like a good deal in comparison....they may be successful.

I am not an engineer....so I am not questioning whether it should cost that much for that length of line....but how many people are going to get served by this extension? On a cost per rider if the goal was to make the Scarborough subway look like a good deal in comparison....they may be successful.

Not sure if you have read the "Initial Business Case" for the Bowmanville Extension and if it provides any helpful information. The $550M figure is the same one mentioned in this document.

Speaking of Bowmanville, this was tweeted out today: https://twitter.com/Metrolinx/status/879418682325250048

Metrolinx Chief Comm. Officer Judy Pfeifer spoke with the Clarington Board of Trade today on Bowmanville GO Train extension plans.

Last edited:
Not sure if you have read the "Initial Business Case" for the Bowmanville Extension and if it provides any helpful information. The $550M figure is the same one mentioned in this document.

No I hadn't but thanks....I was using a much more simple sort of analysis..that was based on the question "what warrants spending over half a billion dollars building a rail service to a town of 40k people....what kind of cost recovery model is that?"

Seems the answer comes very early on in the document you linked:

upload_2017-6-26_16-55-41.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-6-26_16-55-41.png
    upload_2017-6-26_16-55-41.png
    41.3 KB · Views: 294
I always wondered how operationally Linconville would fit into an extension to Uxbridge. I wondered if the north end of the yard would re-connect back into the mainline or if Uxbridge trains would just bypass Linconville.

None of the above.

In the more short-to-immediate term, a new Lincolnville Station will be built at the south-west corner of Bethesda and 10th. This will allow a rebuilding of the yard to enable it to store more trains.

Longer term, another storage facility would be built in or near the south end of Uxbridge.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Rutherford station pedestrian tunnel work starts July 4, link here

There were supposed to be 2 tunnels, as per the original plans. The language in the notice above make it sound as if it's only 1 tunnel. Strange.

Rutherford station pedestrian tunnel work starts July 4, link here

There were supposed to be 2 tunnels, as per the original plans. The language in the notice above make it sound as if it's only 1 tunnel. Strange.
No work has started at Rutherford Station at all as of June 25, other than some markings on the platform.

Given the location of the platform, the 2 tunnel would be very close to each other and would have to line up with the current walkway to/from the parking lot. I only can see one tunnel being built with the elevator being at the north end with a stair going south. A 2nd tunnel could be built at the south end for stairs only, but still a long walk to get off the platform.

I am at the 2nd walkway with the first just north of the 2nd shelter. The property line is about 10 feet south of me.

I was just perusing some pages on GO's website and I noticed something I hadn't seen before: http://www.gotransit.com/public/en/improve/projects/kingcity/

At King City GO station on the Barrie line, they are building a second track and platform for AD2W service, and will build "pedestrian bridges so you can access the new track and platform". The other Barrie Line GO stations where construction has been announced so far (Rutherford, Maple, and Aurora) are having underground pedestrian tunnels installed. I thought this was an interesting tidbit--GO isn't doing so many over-track pedestrian bridges these days.

I was just perusing some pages on GO's website and I noticed something I hadn't seen before: http://www.gotransit.com/public/en/improve/projects/kingcity/

At King City GO station on the Barrie line, they are building a second track and platform for AD2W service, and will build "pedestrian bridges so you can access the new track and platform". The other Barrie Line GO stations where construction has been announced so far (Rutherford, Maple, and Aurora) are having underground pedestrian tunnels installed. I thought this was an interesting tidbit--GO isn't doing so many over-track pedestrian bridges these days.

I'm only guessing, but maybe it has something to do with the Oak Ridges Moraine?

Back