News   Sep 16, 2024
 652     1 
News   Sep 16, 2024
 520     0 
News   Sep 16, 2024
 1K     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

Nice to see that Metrolinx will only be doubling down on its barrier between Lawrence and Wilson Avenue, cutting off any potential cycling or pedestrian connections (exasperated by Highway 401). I was hoping to see a nod to that in this plan.

Nice to see that Metrolinx will only be doubling down on its barrier between Lawrence and Wilson Avenue, cutting off any potential cycling or pedestrian connections (exasperated by Highway 401). I was hoping to see a nod to that in this plan.

Could the barrier be changed if they get feedback during the TPAP process?

Could the barrier be changed if they get feedback during the TPAP process?

That's what consultation during the process is supposed to potentially facilitate, yeah. But it really depends on whether Metrolinx is willing to put it in scope. They could easily say 'nah, that would be up to the City to do,' but we can hope that they won't be dicks and seriously consider it.

They probably won't be. And it should be newmarket to be honest, to justify the ridership.

I didn't think CP would go for weekend service crossings either but somehow it got done. Davenport diamond bridge went from extremely urgent to "meh" some time ago; I assume Metrolinx managed to reach an agreement with CP at that time.

Not getting to Newmarket is disappointing but they never really promised that in the detailed plans.

I didn't think CP would go for weekend service crossings either but somehow it got done. Davenport diamond bridge went from extremely urgent to "meh" some time ago; I assume Metrolinx managed to reach an agreement with CP at that time.

Not getting to Newmarket is disappointing but they never really promised that in the detailed plans.
I hope so. Given what we see on the Brampton with CN, these companies can change their minds on a whim. Newmarket should have been the priority, more people. They're creating another Hamilton with this move.

I hope so. Given what we see on the Brampton with CN, these companies can change their minds on a whim. Newmarket should have been the priority, more people. They're creating another Hamilton with this move.
There is no evidence that CN changed their mind with regards to Brampton. There is evidence that the government made a service promise without the necessary agreement with CN to back it up.

Last edited:
There is no evidence that CN changed there mind with regards to Brampton. There is evidence that the government made a service promise without the necessary agreement with CN to back it up.
Regardless of how it went down: CN is not letting the Kitchener upgrades proceed at this time. That needs to be fixed.

I wonder if there is anything to suggest the CP Rail traffic volumes for their mid-Toronto route are such that weekend Barrie service for GO is now easier (because CP volume on weekends is low and has fallen), but for CN and the Halton Sub, which impacts the Kitchener Corridor, it's remained steady. Since it's hard to get official or public data I'm just speculating and don't have any inside information.

Back