News   Sep 05, 2024
 667     0 
News   Sep 05, 2024
 657     0 
News   Sep 05, 2024
 617     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

Well if they are going to be that "cute" with their PR department then they might as well shut it down cause anything they tell us is meaningless......for a station to have it's construction "complete" there should be, at a minimum, 3 criteria

1. all public areas are open to the public
  2. all construction fencing is down
  3. all signs saying things like "exit closed due to construction" should be removed.
Yes, I agree. It is a pretty cowardly way of operating.

To me it really speaks to an employee culture of covering your own back.

Last edited:
Yes, I agree. It is a pretty cowardly way of operating.

To me it really speaks to an employee culture of covering your own back.

To me, it's worse than that. It's the belief that the public are not intelligent, can be lulled into contentment by the most trivial and fluffy responses, and do not deserve candour, transparency, and substance from public officials and spokespeople. Especially if the substance reflects poorly on the public entity.

- Paul

To me, it's worse than that. It's the belief that the public are not intelligent, can be lulled into contentment by the most trivial and fluffy responses, and do not deserve candour, transparency, and substance from public officials and spokespeople. Especially if the substance reflects poorly on the public entity.

- Paul
Yes, that sounds like a fair assessment.

And to be honest, they are sort of right. Canadians, in my opinion, are generally pushovers when it comes to holding their government to account. Metrolinx is getting away with things like this and the backlash has been fairly minimal for the most part. The biggest kerfuffle that I can think of was the UPX pricing. But what about Burlington Station? Exhibition station? The fabled new trips for the Weston corridor after the billion dollars spent? The dragging out of the shed roof at Union?

This agency is in charge of billions of dollars and has minimal accountability. The information that we require to hold them to account is not even regularly released to the public (i.e. schedule).

Last edited:
News Release

Ontario Improving Transit Experience for Commuters in Vaughan
May 9, 2017

Province Taking Next Steps in the Redevelopment of Rutherford GO Station
Ontario is making it easier for commuters and families to get around the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area by improving Rutherford GO Station with more parking and additional customer-friendly features.

Transportation Minister Steven Del Duca was joined by John Jensen, Metrolinx President and CEO, at Rutherford GO Station today to announce that the province is taking the next steps to redevelop the station. Improvements will include:

• A new multi-level parking structure, which will increase current capacity at the station by 1,200 parking spots.
  • A new pedestrian tunnel, which will connect to a future second track and accommodate a future third express centre track
  • A re-design of the surface parking lot, kiss and ride area, bus loop and pedestrian access
  • New rail platforms and a full platform canopy as well as rail/road grade separation on Rutherford Road.
The improvements will allow for increased GO service along the Barrie GO corridor and support GO Regional Express Rail (RER), which will provide faster and more frequent service across the GO Transit rail network and is the largest commuter rail project in Canada.

Ontario is making the largest infrastructure investment in hospitals, schools, public transit, roads and bridges in the province's history. To learn more about what's happening in your community, go to Ontario.ca/Build ON.

Improving public transit to enhance people's commute is part of our plan to create jobs, grow our economy and help people in their everyday lives.

QUICK FACTS
  • Metrolinx and Infrastructure Ontario issued a Request for Qualifications on May 2 for interested parties to design, build and finance the project.
  • Construction at Rutherford GO Station will begin in 2018.
  • During construction, parking spots will be temporarily relocated, and the number of spots will not be affected.
  • GO RER will increase the number of weekly trips across the GO train network from 1,500 today to roughly 6,000 by 2025.
  • GO RER on the Barrie GO rail corridor includes the following by 2025: Electrified service at about 15-minute frequencies between Union Station and Aurora; Two-way, 60-minute service or better between Union Station and Allandale Waterfront in Barrie on weekdays, evenings and weekends; Peak-period, peak-direction service on weekdays, every 30 minutes between Union Station and Allandale Waterfront in Barrie

From the IO website:

Rutherford_Station_Rendering1.png

I love the render people hanging around a GO Station, because of course, a GO Station parking lot is the place to be in central Vaughan.

I'd rather see a more realistic render of the mad dash of "commuters and families" to their cars in the futile attempt to make it out of the station first.

If they can find renderpeople on Segways and dressed up as Batman, surely they can find frazzled drivers dangling a few unruly kids.

AoD

News Release
  • New rail platforms and a full platform canopy as well as rail/road grade separation on Rutherford Road.

Just curious if all RER stations will get a "full platform canopy". What is the rationale to fully covering the platform? I guess if the service is going to be every 15 minutes in peak periods, they want to protect passengers from the elements?

Just curious if all RER stations will get a "full platform canopy". What is the rationale to fully covering the platform? I guess if the service is going to be every 15 minutes in peak periods, they want to protect passengers from the elements?
wouldn't full protection be less important when there are trains every 15 minutes than the current situation where there may be (much) longer gaps.....I just take it to be an effort to improve (where they can) the overall experience at stations.

wouldn't full protection be less important when there are trains every 15 minutes than the current situation where there may be (much) longer gaps.....I just take it to be an effort to improve (where they can) the overall experience at stations.

So, we have the crosstown thread with 10 minute off-peak frequencies where folks are complaining the shelters are inadequate; and we have this thread with 15 minute off-peak frequencies where folks are saying the shelters are too much.

Seems what's actually getting built must be somewhere in the middle of too much and too little.

Back