News   Jul 30, 2024
 147     0 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 333     1 
News   Jul 29, 2024
 1K     1 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

I haven't seen any of the preparatory work one would expect to see if the installation at the east end is imminent, in particular the switches aren't sitting there waiting for installation. If I recall the track diagram from the EA, the design isn't simply to tie into the existing mainline right at the end of the platform. There may have to be a length of track built eastwards from the platform to the eventual interlocking.

There is still a fair amount of work remaining to complete and cut in the new trackage between Bayview and West Harbour. That's the highest priority.

As nice as it would be to have the stop ready for summer service, it's just that - nice to have. The focus needs to be on the full service capability. The progress on that front is really enouraging - it's starting to come together.

- Paul

Will any electrification work have been commenced before the election? Or is it all RER prep work like grade separations, embankments, etc.?

It could already be well underway if Metrolinx spent more time and money on electrification and less on parking garages.

It could already be well underway if Metrolinx spent more time and money on electrification and less on parking garages.

Considering that parking is the primary means of accessing GO at most stations, and considering that parking is full before the last rush hour departure at most stations already, there would be very few people aboard any of the midday trains after electrification if garages were not built, turning RER into an instant, massive failure.

Will any electrification work have been commenced before the election? Or is it all RER prep work like grade separations, embankments, etc.?

Per the Capital Report at the last ML Board meeting - the EA for electrification is to be completed by the end of this year and procurement to begin in 2018. Given the time required for the likely steps in qualifying and then tendering the work, I don't hold much hope of the tender being let before the election.

- Paul

If the liberals don't win in 2018, Electrification is dead in the water. The Tories won't fund it and will likely cancel it in favour of more highway expansion. The RER concept will likely get replaced by something more dumbed down - just more frequent commuter service. I hope to be surprised but Brown and his Conservatives are not good news for transit.

The Liberals are mostly talk.

They made a lot of promises during the last election campaign and then dragged their heels on implementing them. People make fun of Steven Del Duca's photo ops for a reason.

They desperately want to balance the budget this year and next as an election tactic.

They have tricked a lot of voters in making them think they are true champions of transit.

I haven't seen any of the preparatory work one would expect to see if the installation at the east end is imminent, in particular the switches aren't sitting there waiting for installation. If I recall the track diagram from the EA, the design isn't simply to tie into the existing mainline right at the end of the platform. There may have to be a length of track built eastwards from the platform to the eventual interlocking.

There is still a fair amount of work remaining to complete and cut in the new trackage between Bayview and West Harbour. That's the highest priority.

As nice as it would be to have the stop ready for summer service, it's just that - nice to have. The focus needs to be on the full service capability. The progress on that front is really enouraging - it's starting to come together.

- Paul
I was referring to connecting one or both West Harbour tracks a through tracks rather than terminus ones - West Harbour would be a great addition as a stop to seasonal Niagara service, however this is physically impossible right now due to the track setup, sadly.

Don't they still have to add another track for all day service too. So it does not get tangled up with CN freight?

They have tricked a lot of voters in making them think they are true champions of transit.
It's all relative though. They may well have stalled and delayed. But they are real things happening. We know what happens with Tories - there was no indication that Hudak would have done anything different than the likes of Harris. And the NDP stalling record is even worse - and promised surprisingly very little last time - and still have the same leader now. Maybe Brown will be better ... but better the devil you know.

April 8
Concrete blocks are almost up on the north wall
33658046820_1167bf4737_b.jpg

33230841483_8209dabf79_b.jpg

33658057390_7a35a6b7e0_b.jpg

33658067580_5784db0dd9_b.jpg

33913207581_a77a36bbb3_b.jpg

33658075860_43d7c5f930_b.jpg

33230863643_822a961edd_b.jpg

33913213921_442644df0d_b.jpg

34042979105_9730f8d08f_b.jpg

Don't they still have to add another track for all day service too. So it does not get tangled up with CN freight?

Yes, the new track runs from Bayview to West Harbour. In @drum118's photo you can see where the interlocking has a track that just ends...that's where it will tie in. They are making progress in getting it laid. The junction at Hamilton Jct will have to be reworked and rewired, and a new connection put in at Bayview. Both Re significant track and signalling jobs.

-Paul

Yes, the new track runs from Bayview to West Harbour. In @drum118's photo you can see where the interlocking has a track that just ends...that's where it will tie in. They are making progress in getting it laid. The junction at Hamilton Jct will have to be reworked and rewired, and a new connection put in at Bayview. Both Re significant track and signalling jobs.

-Paul
You can see it in this photo where the 3rd track still has to be place on the bridge, shifting CP Rail and switches to get the 3rd track in. New CP Mast have been install, but not connect yet. The 3 track mast bridge for CN is now on site to be install and connected. Everything east of the CP junction is already setup for 3 tracks for the past few years .
33656523600_e517b4125f_b.jpg

I see a new signal bridge for 2 tracks has been install east of CP junction and not sure if it working since the old one is still there. There is also a signal mast further to the east and hard to say what side of the track its on, but look left hand,
33911757621_c1cd797a7b_b.jpg

Last edited:

-Paul
Thanks! I like that I actually see progress here. They should be ready to go for summer at this rate.
You can see it in this photo where the 3rd track still has to be place on the bridge, shifting CP Rail and switches to get the 3rd track in. New CP Mast have been install, but not connect yet. The 3 track mast bridge for CN is now on site to be install and connected. Everything east of the CP junction is already setup for 3 tracks for the past few years .
33656523600_e517b4125f_b.jpg

I see a new signal bridge for 2 tracks has been install east of CP junction and not sure if it working since the old one is still there. There is also a signal mast further to the east and hard to say what side of the track its on, but look left hand,
33911757621_c1cd797a7b_b.jpg
Looks close to completion.

Thanks! I like that I actually see progress here. They should be ready to go for summer at this rate.

Well, late fall maybe. The changes to trackwork at Hamilton Jct and Bayview when the third track goes in will take some effort. Lots of things in the way that have to be moved. It's encouraging to see the second platform track go in at Hamilton, as it suggests the track laying gang is mobilised and on site. But still lots of grading needed in spots before track can be laid. And, until all the new signals go up, the wiring won't be happening.

Of course, we also need crews available for service to start. I wonder if it will be next spring - certainly has to be done before the next election.

- Paul

That junction is far from completion. They still have to build the retaining wall to the right of the bridge.

Its hard to tell if a 3rd track from the Bayview Junction is going in where that new Mast Bridge is or not to meet CP tracks. All CP new Mast are in place with only CN to be install. Once install and tracks move, then hookup can take place

Since there is no clear shot location other going into the yard, don't know where the 3rd track from the yard stop that will connect to the new 3rd track bridge. That track can't be install before the retaining wall is in place.

I will say late summer to early fall for completion.

That junction is far from completion. They still have to build the retaining wall to the right of the bridge.

Its hard to tell if a 3rd track from the Bayview Junction is going in where that new Mast Bridge is or not to meet CP tracks. All CP new Mast are in place with only CN to be install. Once install and tracks move, then hookup can take place

Since there is no clear shot location other going into the yard, don't know where the 3rd track from the yard stop that will connect to the new 3rd track bridge. That track can't be install before the retaining wall is in place.

I will say late summer to early fall for completion.
Well, late fall maybe. The changes to trackwork at Hamilton Jct and Bayview when the third track goes in will take some effort. Lots of things in the way that have to be moved. It's encouraging to see the second platform track go in at Hamilton, as it suggests the track laying gang is mobilised and on site. But still lots of grading needed in spots before track can be laid. And, until all the new signals go up, the wiring won't be happening.

Of course, we also need crews available for service to start. I wonder if it will be next spring - certainly has to be done before the next election.

- Paul

So it seems like from September - November should be the target date for service expansion? I agree Paul, I think they have to get this in along with Aurora, Mount Pleasant and possibly Markham GO off peak all day service to even have a shot at winning the election.

Last edited:

Back