News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 393     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

I drove past Oshawa Station last night and didn't see anything. Granted I was driving and could focus on anything other than the road.

What exactly should I look for next time I go by? Concrete pillars?

There is a railway bridge just east of Oshawa GO station over the 401 used to serve the GM plant, is this where the construction was?

What construction projects are we gonna see kicking off and being completed in 2017?

If only it worked that way. The better question is, which EA's will be completed in 2017 and will that get anything funded and tendered in 2018.

For 2017, we may see the new double track segments completed on the Barrie and Stouffville lines, and the new trackage to West Harbour. Hopefully we see more all day and weekend trains on these routes. I sense that GO may have something up its sleeve on the Milton line. The new maintenance shop at Whitby is coming along. But that's likely all. And Union Station will come along too.

A new subway to Vaughan and LRT in Ottawa and KW is certainly cause for celebration, but these are not in GO's wheelhouse.

- Paul

What construction projects are we gonna see kicking off and being completed in 2017?

If only it worked that way. The better question is, which EA's will be completed in 2017 and will that get anything funded and tendered in 2018.

For 2017, we may see the new double track segments completed on the Barrie and Stouffville lines, and the new trackage to West Harbour. Hopefully we see more all day and weekend trains on these routes. I sense that GO may have something up its sleeve on the Milton line. The new maintenance shop at Whitby is coming along. But that's likely all. And Union Station will come along too.

A new subway to Vaughan and LRT in Ottawa and KW is certainly cause for celebration, but these are not in GO's wheelhouse.

- Paul
I think something needs to be done for Milton. And Richmond Hill. GO is missing out on some major revenue by not coughing up the money for Milton.

GO is missing out on some major revenue by not coughing up the money for Milton.

They have been, actually. Several interlockings between Obico and Osler were rebuilt and resignalled over the last 18 months. Dupont is getting that treatment at the moment. For some reason, ML has stayed absolutely silent about this, despite paying the bill (and incurring the wrath of the AG).

The truly "big" money improvements can't happen until the Bypass is built, and some stations have only one track, but one wonders if a minimal counter flow or midday service is being quietly considered.

- Paul

They have been, actually. Several interlockings between Obico and Osler were rebuilt and resignalled over the last 18 months. Dupont is getting that treatment at the moment. For some reason, ML has stayed absolutely silent about this, despite paying the bill (and incurring the wrath of the AG).

The truly "big" money improvements can't happen until the Bypass is built, and some stations have only one track, but one wonders if a minimal counter flow or midday service is being quietly considered.

- Paul
Fair enough. And the humber flyunder as well, according to drum. It should not be 2 billion to add the extra track to Lisgar or Milton, but here we are.

Not sure. Where is the bypass being built? I would think they would do both just to quiet CP Rail.

Well from what I understand the proposed Missing Link Bypass would remove CP trains from the Milton Line along here, so with no interference from them I don't think there would be any need to increase track capacity or flexibility along here.

Well from what I understand the proposed Missing Link Bypass would remove CP trains from the Milton Line along here, so with no interference from them I don't think there would be any need to increase track capacity or flexibility along here.
Oh... I was talking about the humber river bypass. I heard CP doesn't like the missing link, can someone confirm?

Oh... I was talking about the humber river bypass. I heard CP doesn't like the missing link, can someone confirm?

My understanding was that CP was fully for it, but CN wasn't game for having CP along the York and Halton subs, which leaves a problem of how to get them between Halwest, the MacTier sub, their yard in Scarborough, and the Belleville sub.

One thing I could see GO having up their sleeve for the Milton line is building all platforms on the south/west side of the tracks, eliminating a need for a crossover. Only leaves a conflict for getting trains out of the Milton yard.

Last edited:
Well!, one way for CP to get on to CN Halton Sub and will piss the residents off in Weston is to do a connection where CP crosses CN line east of the Humber River. This means the traffic on the MacTire Sub will double to triple the current amount of trains on line.

I have no idea if this is grade separated or not since I have never been there and if so, who pass over the other? CP will have to double track the MacTire Sub to allow for the increase traffic on the line south of the Halton Sub with triple track to allow trains on/off the Halton sub new 4 track corridor.

CP will have to double track the connection to North Toronto Sub to allow trains pass each other without having to deal with stop and go.

At the same time, a new interchange yard can be built on the Halton Sub to allow faster and shorter hand off between both system. This will mean the end of Lambton Yard 100%, freeing up land for redevelopment, as well a new GO Station to service both the Milton Line and the Crosstown Line. The new interchange yard could be in the middle of both lines with CP being on the south side.

If this is a no go, ML better get off their ass and 4 track the Galt Sub as per Wynne 2014 election platform. Otherwise, still talking about this 20 years from now and riders getting the shaft like they have since 2011 fail triple track program.

Well!, one way for CP to get on to CN Halton Sub and will piss the residents off in Weston is to do a connection where CP crosses CN line east of the Humber River. This means the traffic on the MacTire Sub will double to triple the current amount of trains on line.

Probably a non-starter. Sure, it will move freight out and away from Mississauga and Etobicoke homes, but can you really expect a repeat of the Weston battle? Frequent Tier 4 DMUs that sound like pick-up trucks vs. Frequent Tier 2 freight consists that roar and clash and bang their way along. I think it would get the entire community even more upset.

A bigger problem is that Weston was (rightly, IMO) given a trench and a ped bridge to maintain access between the east and west sides of the neighbourhood. Introducing additional CP traffic will keep the crossing blocked off more.

My understanding was that CP was fully for it, but CN wasn't game for having CP along the York and Halton subs, which leaves a problem of how to get them between Halwest, the MacTier sub, their yard in Scarborough, and the Belleville sub.

One thing I could see GO having up their sleeve for the Milton line is building all platforms on the south/west side of the tracks, eliminating a need for a crossover. Only leaves a conflict for getting trains out of the Milton yard.
Intresting. Would another 2 tracks along Halwest and Mactier solve the problem? I would think this would be a minor issue in the grand scheme of things. I like the platform idea because a) that should have been done anyway and b) it can allow for 1/2 service at some point in the future without great cost.

I have no idea if this is grade separated or not since I have never been there and if so, who pass over the other? CP will have to double track the MacTire Sub to allow for the increase traffic on the line south of the Halton Sub with triple track to allow trains on/off the Halton sub new 4 track corridor.

CP will have to double track the connection to North Toronto Sub to allow trains pass each other without having to deal with stop and go.

At the same time, a new interchange yard can be built on the Halton Sub to allow faster and shorter hand off between both system. This will mean the end of Lambton Yard 100%, freeing up land for redevelopment, as well a new GO Station to service both the Milton Line and the Crosstown Line. The new interchange yard could be in the middle of both lines with CP being on the south side.

If this is a no go, ML better get off their ass and 4 track the Galt Sub as per Wynne 2014 election platform. Otherwise, still talking about this 20 years from now and riders getting the shaft like they have since 2011 fail triple track program.
I agree with this. Either come to a fair deal on the missing link or cough up the money. enough games. Milton is busier than all the other lines except lakeshore.

Intresting. Would another 2 tracks along Halwest and Mactier solve the problem? I would think this would be a minor issue in the grand scheme of things. I like the platform idea because a) that should have been done anyway and b) it can allow for 1/2 service at some point in the future without great cost.

I don't think so, I believe the proposal taken to them involved making separate tracks for CP. It seems to me that CN doesn't want to grant CP access to a corridor in which they believe they have a competitive advantage, and they are also risk-adverse to a potential scenario where CP has an accident that interferes with them. Additional trackage is going to solve it, not willingly anyway.

The only alternative is putting CP along the hydro corridor, and I think discussion here has concluded that would be difficult.

Back