News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 393     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

I don't see a Front St anywhere near Oshawa GO, and the station building certainly doesn't look very old or particularly historic. Why would it need to be preserved?

This is what's being referred to. It is historic to the City of Oshawa in their view; it was likely identified during consultations as important to the community.

Here's the station layout to get a sense of how it is going to be integrated:

eydJmgV.png

Metrolinx land requirements for their stations are patently absurd. Their bus loops are just ridiculously over sized, and they seem incapable of constructing a more urban focused station in locations that need it... See their concept SmartTrack stations.

Also a retained facade that stands out by itself.. really? At least attempt to integrate some TOD so that the facade is actually attached to a structure.

Say what?
http://www.gotransit.com/public/en/...rviceExpansionOshawatoBowmanville-Feb2011.pdf
http://www.gotransit.com/public/en/...mentalProjectReport-Oshawa_to_Bowmanville.pdf

The RER Business Case Analysis doesn't show the Bowmanville extension other than as something for "future study". I suspect ML was as surprised by the Province's announcement as anyone.

In any event, Bowmanville was announced as a 4-train peak diesel service whereas LSE-RER remains 15 minute electrified, to the current terminus at Oshawa.

I suspect it's truly up in the air with ML having to rethink the RER spec's in light of this latest addition. In any event, GO can use the new terminal in the meantime, and VIA will get good use out of it until some sort of HFR plan comes to be.

- Paul
Anyone who didn't see it coming was a bit of a fool, no different than for the Niagara extension. I suspect that Metrolinx simply could not accomodate it in their initial plans as it did not have funding. They clearly knew roughly what was going on when they approved the construction of the new Oshawa GO station building.

the possibility of extending RER services onto the Bowmanville extension was probably ruled out early as it uses CP tracks.

Metrolinx land requirements for their stations are patently absurd. Their bus loops are just ridiculously over sized, and they seem incapable of constructing a more urban focused station in locations that need it... See their concept SmartTrack stations.

Also a retained facade that stands out by itself.. really? At least attempt to integrate some TOD so that the facade is actually attached to a structure.

Preserving only the facade of historic buildings is considered the lowest form of preservation. The preferred approach is to find a new use for the structure. The facade and some portion of the rest of the structure could be developed so that the hub has some commercial component, and serves people who are passing through this transfer point or to/from their cars. Or even facing onto Front Street. Once that parking lot gets built, the traffic in the area will go up substantially. ML can do better.

- Paul

PS: The structure is the former Malleable Iron Company, a long time industry in Oshawa.

But the biggest difference is lowest compliant bid. Public sector has to go with it, private sector doesn't. Contractors know how to game the system to reduce their bid down to the lowest amount while still being compliant, and then ask for the stuff they should have included from the beginning as extras. And that's if the RFP was written correctly. If the RFP missed something, they'll jump on it for extras like it's a Christmas ham.

The key there is lowest compliant bid, rather than lowest bid, period.

There are lots of reasons why the lowest bid doesn't get chosen. Just read through the TTC's reports for the past 10 years and you'll see any number of different situations where the lowest bid doesn't win the tender.

In other news, and specifically about the Bowmanville Extension, they have started building the piers for the massive structure over the 401 between Thickson and Stevenson. It looked like they were working on the second one as I passed through on Monday.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

In other news, and specifically about the Bowmanville Extension, they have started building the piers for the massive structure over the 401 between Thickson and Stevenson. It looked like they were working on the second one as I passed through on Monday.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Wow...didn't realize they had actually started any form of construction for the extension. Would love to see pictures of what's taking place.

So that cat is confirmed in the bag -- actual Bowmanville extension related construction has begun!

Just like the current Hamilton/Niagara ongoing work on the opposite end of Lakeshore.

Anyone commuting to Ottawa or Montreal for Christmas, needs to take a picture, and post it here!

Last edited:

There are lots of reasons why the lowest bid doesn't get chosen. Just read through the TTC's reports for the past 10 years and you'll see any number of different situations where the lowest bid doesn't win the tender.

Colloquially expressed as: "Cheapest is not Best".

I travel by that way everyday. I must be blind, because I'm not aware of any such pier erection in that area.

Yea that would be a very quick construction start. Funding was approved only a few months ago, I would imagine that Metrolinx would have to do detailed design and an EA amendment first.

Yea that would be a very quick construction start. Funding was approved only a few months ago, I would imagine that Metrolinx would have to do detailed design and an EA amendment first.

In terms of the funding, I know it was announced but was there a project budget number released? I don't recall seeing it although I might have missed it and it might have already been covered in this thread.

I've reached out to Metrolinx for confirmation and will post response. The timeline does seem a little fast, but stranger things have happened.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

I was driving on the 401 and I saw it and was wondering if that was it.

I was driving on the 401 and I saw it and was wondering if that was it.
I drove past Oshawa Station last night and didn't see anything. Granted I was driving and could focus on anything other than the road.

What exactly should I look for next time I go by? Concrete pillars?

I drove past Oshawa Station last night and didn't see anything. Granted I was driving and could focus on anything other than the road.

What exactly should I look for next time I go by? Concrete pillars?

Someone else on Twitter said that whatever construction work is being observed it's not related to the Bowmanville extension bridge over the 401.
ebjjWPB.jpg

Back