News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 383     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

I believe that there once was a second/passing track along the right of way beside the Tannery. This could just be my memory making things up, but I seem to recall seeing a second track there many, many years ago. Even with the ROW wide enough for a second track, I don't believe there would be enough space for a second platform as well with out expropriating parts of all the back yards along the ROW.

https://goo.gl/images/GU20cA

I don't have a specific document on hand but I believe all possibilities regarding minor relocations of Newmarket GO have been considered, and they've found that there is no viable option for double-tracking/platforming it while in proximity to Davis due to a number of constraints as revealed by studies. Mulock and EG are the more workable options.

Also, it's largely a moot point as there is no need for a double-tracked/platformed station at Davis because there is no intention of having service every 15 minutes there, only hourly. The 15-minute service is currently slated to run only up to Aurora; I believe a part of the basis for Mulock station is that it would be doubled and support an extension of the 15-minute service that far, but I think Metrolinx considers even that to be a stretch regarding time+money required vs ridership. Again, hourly service can run just fine north of Aurora with fairly minimal construction, and would be a massive improvement from the current peak-only service.
I disagree Mega. Newmarket is twice as big as Aurora and would be a good performing station at 15 min. Going to Mulock is fine though, I just don't know what YRT plans to do to connect to the new station.

I believe that there once was a second/passing track along the right of way beside the Tannery. This could just be my memory making things up, but I seem to recall seeing a second track there many, many years ago. Even with the ROW wide enough for a second track, I don't believe there would be enough space for a second platform as well with out expropriating parts of all the back yards along the ROW.

https://goo.gl/images/GU20cA
Welcome,

And that's interesting...what changed?

Barrie Corridor update.

gvtX99a.png

In fairness to Aikins, she's the messenger. The ultimate responsibility is with the elected representatives including the Minister.
The problem is in delivery of her message. They are so obviously emotionless generic PR trash, deferring any possibility of blame or liability for anything at all, ever.
Even AirMiles has better PR, and their PR looks like it's run by Edina Monsoon.

Last edited:
The problem is in delivery of her message. They are so obviously emotionless generic PR trash to defer all possibility of blame or liability for anything at all, ever.
Even AirMiles has better PR.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this, but my point is that spokespeople for any large organization, private or public, can't provide information they aren't allowed to. In this case, the Minister's office has a say in what Metrolinx can say and when. Since this really isn't on topic, I'll try to stop here as both points have been made.

The problem is in delivery of her message. They are so obviously emotionless generic PR trash, deferring any possibility of blame or liability for anything at all, ever.
Even AirMiles has better PR, and their PR looks like it's run by Edina Monsoon.

Actually I found it the opposite - it's overly empathic (the "oh look! cute puppy" is a very good deflector against criticism - challenging someone for being nice but vacuous makes you an a-hole) but low on solution delivery/communicating solutions. Like - do I really care if you as a rep of an org feel sorry that your train just flattened someone on LSW? Nope. Do I care about you finding out and letting everyone know alternate arrangements or the ETA to service resumption with all haste? Yes.

But allandale is right - she is in no position to say much about decisions that are political in any case.

AoD

Last edited:
Actually I found it the opposite - it's overly emphatic (the "oh look! cute puppy" is a very good deflector against criticism - challenging someone for being nice but vacuous makes you an a-hole) but low on solution delivery/communicating solutions. Like - do I really care if you as a rep of an org feel sorry that your train just flattened someone on LSW? Nope. Do I care about you finding out and letting everyone know alternate arrangements or the ETA to service resumption with all haste? Yes.

But allandale is right - she is in no position to say much about decisions that are political in any case.

AoD

Aikins is a very nice and friendly person. I met her in person several times. And she's been very quick to get back to me on requests and issues I've had.

I think GO/Metrolinx does a poor job communicating between operations and customer support/media relations, so Aikins is left going the emphatic route in the absence of useful information. You can have the best messenger in the business but mess up getting the communications to the messenger.

Also, Del Duca has to do his media stunts before GO can announce anything.

Aikins is a very nice and friendly person. I met her in person several times. And she's been very quick to get back to me on requests and issues I've had.

I think GO/Metrolinx does a poor job communicating between operations and customer support/media relations, so Aikins is left going the emphatic route in the absence of useful information. You can have the best messenger in the business but mess up getting the communications to the messenger.

Also, Del Duca has to do his media stunts before GO can announce anything.

You are of course right about operations communicating with customer support/relations. I don't doubt that she is a nice person - what annoyed me is substituting niceness for usefulness. It's patronizing and represents a wrong priority.

And we all know how much Del Duca love announcing projects that won't happen even before the end of the next government, much less the current one.

AoD

I am generally a fan of AMA...I think she is responsive and usually does as a good a job as she can with the mixed messaging that she gets from the political masters and her corporate masters at ML.....ocassionally, though, I think she tries to be far too cute and sometimes is the maker of her own problems.

Take a look at Allandale's post above in post #3121. The first question about the construction starting by the end of summer is met with an all too cute "summer is not over yet"...it was clearly meant to be a cutesy dismissal of the questioners point that work that was supposed to have happened by the end of summer hadn't......presumably the questioner was using the common use of "summer" being the months of june/july/august.....armed with, I guess, the secret knowledge that summer actually goes to the 3rd week of september she dismisses him with "Summer is not quite over yet"......she was probably well aware at that point that the work was not going to happen in the Summer but thought her pleasant demenour (which she has in spades), willingness to respond and technical knowledge about when summer ends would make the conversation stop/go away......when, after the technical end of summer, she is confronted again with the question she chooses not to apologize for that cute dismissal but, rather, fall back on the old school "announcement coming soon".....soon being the pr word for "we have no idea when there will be announcement but, depending on how you measure time, soon is fair definition of it".

If you look at her first post in that excerpted conversation....it might have ended there if all she did was not include the "summer aint over" reference and just posted what followed.....but she, effectively, challenged the person to come back to her after summer technically ended.....there was no need for that at all.

Back