News   May 02, 2024
 53     0 
News   May 02, 2024
 333     0 
News   May 01, 2024
 2.1K     1 

GO Transit: 50 Possible Sites for new Stations

You cannot integrate the two - that's the problem.

It's either Mimico, Park Lawn or both. If you try to squeeze them together, then the condos lose access, and so does old Mimico.

Then there's the bit about spending $40MM on upgrading Mimico...

The reason I am cheerleading for Sunnyside is on the basis of transit network connectivity; a future DRL, Waterfront West LRT, and the 504 or 501.

Park Lawn is worthy, as are many locations, but I'm convinced that the connectivity benefits offered by Sunnyside trump that. Park Lawn should definitely be a key Waterfront West LRT stop though.

This will never happen. This is a wealthy neighbourhood and it would be political suicide to reactivate the Leaside spur.

The only long term solution is to build a subway along Don Mills Road to Don Mills & Finch.

I think that as long as any diesel trains stick to the original RH alignment and only single level EMU's go along the don branch and leaside spur, they can be convinced it will be very "LRT-like" in appearance and noise/air pollution.

Also by using both alignments you create basically a three-track system for express diesel to the outer network (Langstaff -> Bloomington) on the original route and all-day all-stop service on the spur like on the LS lines already.

The reason I am cheerleading for Sunnyside is on the basis of transit network connectivity; a future DRL, Waterfront West LRT, and the 504 or 501.

Park Lawn is worthy, as are many locations, but I'm convinced that the connectivity benefits offered by Sunnyside trump that. Park Lawn should definitely be a key Waterfront West LRT stop though.

I respectfully disagree - when you have the density and population of a community such as Humber Bay, directly next to a rapid transit line (GO LSW), it's almost offensive, if not stupid not to put a station there.

Sunnyside is based on all these rosy future state projects (DRL, WWLRT, etc) that have next to no chance going ahead in any reasonable timeframe.

Completion dates for RER program:

go-transit-service-updates-2015-web.jpg

http://www.thestar.com/content/dam/thestar/uploads/2015/4/17/go-transit-service-updates-2015-web.jpg

The potential ridership at Park Lawn is huge, it includes both the condo ownership and people north of the Queensway who may be commuters to the downtown core. Drawing these folks off the TTC line 2 might offer a small but material relief to the subway congestion.

Mimico is starting to see high rise condo construction but most of the development in that area is seniors' residences, and they don't take many GO trips.

Improvements to roads inthe Newcastle/ Grand area could make a bus shuttle to a Park Lawn station feasible.

Having said that, Mimico is important to GO operationally and may have to remain simply to give crews access to the crew base.

In contrast, Sunnyside allows a new travel path for anyone coming off GO and into the Liberty-Parkdale area, but that's a brand new market.

I can see Park Lawn being added to an all stops electric sevice, but if you add Sunnyside as well, you end up with a pretty 416-centric service. Maybe LSW is ready to be a smarttrack line.

- Paul

Note that when they extended the Danforth platforms recently they had the choice of extending them to the east, and moving the existing platform a couple of car-lengths so it was no longer on the curve. They actually did the opposite and extended the platforms west further into the curve.

They extended it westward at at Danforth because the degree of curvature is insignificant and the mini ramp would not have to be reconstructed plus there is no access to the eastern side of the station. Sure stations on curves are possible but its not optimal and generally avoided by GO because of additional safety concerns and it increases overall station dwell times.

They extended it westward at at Danforth because the degree of curvature is insignificant and the mini ramp would not have to be reconstructed
That was my comment you quoted, not CRS.

Though that's my point exactly. It's not simply that you can't build on curves. It depends on the curvature and the convenience of doing so.

... there is no access to the eastern side of the station.
I'm not sure relevance access to the eastern side. The straight section starts in the existing station - you just need to extend the platform about 5-6 cars further west, and you are completely on straight.

Sure stations on curves are possible but its not optimal and generally avoided by GO because of additional safety concerns and it increases overall station dwell times.
Exactly! Of course the best way to avoid increasing dwell times, is not to add stations in the first place! :)

Having said that, Mimico is important to GO operationally and may have to remain simply to give crews access to the crew base.

Well they could simply finally do what every other railroad does besides them - deadhead crews to their initial starting location.

Mimico is unfortunately not going anywhere.

GO had plans from 1991 (!!!!) to relocate Mimico to Park Lawn in order to service the then under planning HBS area. For whatever reason, this didn't happen.

GO then stupidly decided to throw $40MM (!!!!) to improve Mimico when in fact the best way to improve it is to demolish it.

Park Lawn will get built one way or the other, it simply has to. Why would Liberty Village need another GO stop? They're not nearly as dense as HBS, or have nearly the same population.

That was my comment you quoted, not CRS.

No idea why it quoted crs instead, not very fond of the new UT boards - imo there was no need to fix what wasn't broken.

Though that's my point exactly. It's not simply that you can't build on curves. It depends on the curvature and the convenience of doing so.

Fair enough, no disagreements here.

I'm not sure relevance access to the eastern side. The straight section starts in the existing station - you just need to extend the platform about 5-6 cars further west, and you are completely on straight.

Relevance is that passengers trend to congregate near to the closest exit, which at Danforth are all located on the west side of the station. Very few people make the trek all the way down to the east side. This causes congestion on the platform and on the train and slows the unloading and loading process.

Exactly! Of course the best way to avoid increasing dwell times, is not to add stations in the first place! :)

Agreed. I see little need to add stations, with a few exceptions.

Relevance is that passengers trend to congregate near to the closest exit, which at Danforth are all located on the west side of the station. Very few people make the trek all the way down to the east side. This causes congestion on the platform and on the train and slows the unloading and loading process.
I don't see that's a factor on where the platform is located. They'll still congragate. Though this is not really an issue at Danforth - which I've never seen with enough passengers that it's an issue. The only time I see an issue at most stops is when people are in position for a 12-car train, and a 10-car train arrives. Need better indication of what's coming (why can't the display board say so), or full implementation of 12-car trains. But again, really minor at most stops.

Agreed. I see little need to add stations, with a few exceptions.
Depends what the function is. If it's supposed to behave like a subway with frequent service - which is what Premier Davis promised over 30 years ago, then yes. Ultimately though, you need two or more services to do that.

You certainly don't need all 50 of those proposed stops. But if they build a DRL, it would be nice if the Lakeshore line was to stop when it crossed it (wherever that would be).

Back