News   Jul 17, 2024
 124     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 758     1 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 534     0 

Globe: Second NHL Team for Toronto?

6:36 p.m. Baum is ordering two sides to mediate the control issue. Report back from NHL and Moyes is due by May 27.

6:30 p.m. "I'm pretty sure I'm going to order the parties to a quick mediation on the control issue." — Judge Redfield Baum. Arguments continue.

I really hope the Coyotes don't move to the Toronto area. There are already too many sports teams here, already too many homophobic meatheads here.

I'm sure there's lots of homos that like hockey. Not that I know any personally. But stranger things have happened. My friend and his husband have season tickets for TFC, so I occasionally catch a game. It's fun to check out the soccer boys. Plus there's a lot of straight boy eye candy :)

Well, if they want to move the team to Canada and keep the name "Coyotes"...
Acme_Sign.jpg

The NHL is already a big enough joke as it is in the eyes of the American sports media. It doesn't need to add more "Canadian" into the mix if it wants to elevate its status to the elite of the other 3 major sport leagues.

This whole fiasco with the Coyotes has been front page news here for weeks, and quite frankly, it's totally overblown. Who gives a flying f*** what happens to the Coyotes? If they move to Hamilton, that franchise will die a slow, agonizing death. No NHL player will be willing to play in that decaying abyss, nor will a team there aid the NHL in its quest for increased revenues and a high profile status. The place can barely support the Tiger Cats. Good luck supporting an NHL team. Maybe if tickets were 5 bucks a pop.

I'm a hockey fan first and foremost, but a Leafs fan at heart. That's the team I have and always will cheer for. I take pride in that team win or lose. I've seen many negative, sarcastic remarks about the team in this forum, and read it constantly in the daily papers. (Hello Damien Cox) The whole basis of being a sports fan is not to cheer for the BEST team, but the team that instills the most homegrown pride and connection, and which an entire population can embrace. Those wishing for a new team in Southern Ontario because "the Leafs suck", or "I want to cheer for a winning team" are pussies. (Yes I said it) Suck it up and stick with your team. Regain your sense of loyalty and quit being a bandwagon jumper.

Now that's commentary! Support MLSE and suck it up!

Who gives a flying f*** what happens to the Coyotes? If they move to Hamilton, that franchise will die a slow, agonizing death. No NHL player will be willing to play in that decaying abyss, nor will a team there aid the NHL in its quest for increased revenues and a high profile status.

Have you ever been to Newark?
Or even Downtown Detroit, West Side Chicago, St. Louis, South Philly?

The Yankees have been playing in the Bronx for years. A stone's throw from Comerica Park, Chomskey Park/US Cellular Field, Camden Yards will also put you in some areas that makes the worst parts of Hamilton look tame.

Last edited:
I never knew "sports fan" was a synonym for "homophobe." You learn something new everyday I guess.

Well, if they want to move the team to Canada and keep the name "Coyotes"...
Acme_Sign.jpg
How about you just not post anymore unless you actually have something decent to say?

The NHL is already a big enough joke as it is in the eyes of the American sports media. It doesn't need to add more "Canadian" into the mix if it wants to elevate its status to the elite of the other 3 major sport leagues.

This whole fiasco with the Coyotes has been front page news here for weeks, and quite frankly, it's totally overblown. Who gives a flying f*** what happens to the Coyotes? If they move to Hamilton, that franchise will die a slow, agonizing death. No NHL player will be willing to play in that decaying abyss, nor will a team there aid the NHL in its quest for increased revenues and a high profile status. The place can barely support the Tiger Cats. Good luck supporting an NHL team. Maybe if tickets were 5 bucks a pop.

I'm a hockey fan first and foremost, but a Leafs fan at heart. That's the team I have and always will cheer for. I take pride in that team win or lose. I've seen many negative, sarcastic remarks about the team in this forum, and read it constantly in the daily papers. (Hello Damien Cox) The whole basis of being a sports fan is not to cheer for the BEST team, but the team that instills the most homegrown pride and connection, and which an entire population can embrace. Those wishing for a new team in Southern Ontario because "the Leafs suck", or "I want to cheer for a winning team" are pussies. (Yes I said it) Suck it up and stick with your team. Regain your sense of loyalty and quit being a bandwagon jumper.

Wow, ok, where to start?
First of all, a 7th team Canada will not change whether the league is better than the NBA, MLB or the NFL. We had more Canadian teams 15 years ago and the league was in the same spot. So the number of Canadian teams is irrelevant. It's the 4th best pro league in the US (and actually closer to 7th or 8th if you want to include college sports and ESPN national cheerleading competitions) and that will never ever change. And I'd rather have the league be strong with markets where the game is the focal point of the local sports scene (places like Boston, Chicago, New York, Pittsburgh, Philly, St Louis) than a bunch of floundering teams in the sunbelt, simply for the sake of trying to appear "elite".

Second, why would a team in Hamilton flounder? Are you seriously comparing the Ti-Cats (who are well supported anyways, just in a bad stadium) to a potential NHL team? Also, if you think players won't go to Hamilton, why would they go to Detroit? Last I checked everyone wants to play in Detroit. The status of the city means nothing, and rarely does it play the defining factor in a player choosing to play in that city. And if they don't like Hamilton, well they can live in Oakville. Also, the team would be supported by RIM, one of the richest companies in Canada with tons of corporate ties. They'll easily sell out all of the boxes in Copps and I have no doubt that they'll sell out every game much like every other Canadian team. There's a lot of money in the Golden Horseshoe, and if you mix that with the love for hockey, it can't lose.

Also, a lot of people aren't Leafs fans for various reasons. I'm not one. I grew up in Niagara and have closer roots to Buffalo than Toronto. There's a huge population of people who would support a new team because they will essentially become another local option. It has nothing to do with bandwagons. And whether someone is a going to cheer for Hamilton instead of Toronto it's their own business and dollars, so what does it matter to you who someone cheers for?

Honestly, you sound like an out of touch 55 year old guy who reads the Sun and loves Don Cherry.

--------------

It sounds like this "mediation" could go on for a week or so. I don't know what it will solve because I can't imagine the NHL going into a room with Moyes and Balsillie and coming to a compromise.

Oh come on. There are more potential hockey fans in this market than anywhere else on the planet. It is just bad business to be embittering your most ardent fans. Plus, not everyone's a Leaf fan and the NHL is stupid if it thinks it can take the GTA for granted. Think of how quickly this city has changed in the last decade or two. Why would any of the the thousands of immigrants pouring into this city have any reason to latch onto hockey when:

a) they come with zero hockey background;
b) there exist more sporting options now (NBA, MLS) that are more accessible, cheaper to play, and are probably more familiar than hockey;
c) the Leafs have sucked for decades, despite having the greatest revenues in the league at their disposal; and
d) Leaf tickets are nearly impossible to get even if you are willing to sell a kidney for them -- how could they even begin to show interest in a sport they've likely never seen and probably will never have a chance to see? Is the next generation of kids in this city going to be strapping on skates? I don't even see kids playing street hockey anymore. I wouldn't be surprised if the GTA hockey fanbase eroded in the years to come.

In any case, the Leafs are just not enough for Southern Ontario any more. That's why I support bringing another team to the area.

The NHL fan base of Southern Ontario is already anchored by 3 concrete teams: Toronto, Buffalo and Detroit. You could even throw the Senators and Habs into the mix if you want.

Personally, I see this Balsillie situation as a giant fad. Sure everyone's excited and happy now, but what happens when Mr. RIM's vision fails everyone's expectations? Will people still be raving about this new NHL team after numerous losing seasons? The initial excitement will wear off once the scab fans begin to lose interest.

My opposition to placing another team in Canada is based on the fact that hockey, contrary to what many here would like to believe, IS in fact growing in the US. Currently, there are roughly the same amount of registered hockey players (about 500,000) in Canada and the US. The NHL would be stupid to squander the opportunity to promote further growth of the game in the States. Eventually, the amount of American hockey players will outnumber Canadian players, and yes, eventually the Americans will dominate at yet another sport. Big deal. It's happened before.

I believe a more appropriate location for a new NHL team would be in Seattle. The state of Washington has and still does support various teams, and has contributed numerous NHLers, and has a solid minor hockey base. With a market of over 4 million people, a move into the Seattle area would be more beneficial than putting a team in the middle of 3 other well established franchises.

"Honestly, you sound like an out of touch 55 year old guy who reads the Sun and loves Don Cherry."

Nice try jn_12. Although I find Don funny at times, he's too much of a senile old clown to be taken seriously anymore. I would never read a blue collar hogwash of print media like the Sun either. I'm just a 19 year old university student who thinks this whole situation is ridiculously stupid and overblown by the hockey addicted media here.

I'm just a 19 year old university student who thinks this whole situation is ridiculously stupid and overblown by the hockey addicted media here.
Well that's the point isn't it? The media is hockey addicted because hockey is so popular here. The fact that there's the same number of players in Canada as the United States just goes to show that hockey is 10 times more popular here. The NHL would be better off with strong followings in cities where owners can make money, than with futile attempts to "grow the game" in cities where nobody cares. How long are profitable teams expected to spend tens of millions every year to prop up Phoenix?

The fact that Canada has only six top tier hockey teams is absurd. How many soccer teams are there in England? Cities like Winnipeg and Hamilton could easily support NHL teams, especially now that there's a salary cap.

BTW, it would be interesting to see those numbers you cited first hand. Do you have a source?

I'm one of those people wanting another local team because the leafs suck!!

Well that's the point isn't it? The media is hockey addicted because hockey is so popular here. The fact that there's the same number of players in Canada as the United States just goes to show that hockey is 10 times more popular here. The NHL would be better off with strong followings in cities where owners can make money, than with futile attempts to "grow the game" in cities where nobody cares. How long are profitable teams expected to spend tens of millions every year to prop up Phoenix?

The fact that Canada has only six top tier hockey teams is absurd. How many soccer teams are there in England? Cities like Winnipeg and Hamilton could easily support NHL teams, especially now that there's a salary cap.

BTW, it would be interesting to see those numbers you cited first hand. Do you have a source?

http://www.usahockey.com/ADM/default.aspx?NAV=AF_03&id=252116&DetailedNews=yes

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/hdic2003/canadian_hockey.html

There are your sources. I don't know why it's so hard to believe the game is growing down south. This game isn't just for us to hoard.

Last edited:
If you got a radio nearby turn to 900 AM, CHML, Jim Balsilie is on the radio at Hamilton.

"The game isn't just for us to hoard"

I'm going to buy a franchise for an Austrialian Rules Football team - it isn't up to them to hoard that game.

Sure it is. Who the hell plays Australian football other than Australians? Hockey is truly a global sport, you can't deny that. If the sport has the potential to be something greater than it is in the US, why not give it the opportunity to do so?

For the love of the game my friends, for the love of the game.

Back