News   Apr 24, 2024
 849     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 597     0 

Globe and Mail, tear down this paywall!

Bummer. I just cancelled my Globe subscription. The woman on the phone asked me how I will get my news without the Globe :)

I'll end up paying for full access to one of the local papers, but not multiple papers. I currently enjoy reading selections from multiple online papers, and getting a range of opinions, biases and focus, from the occasional, regrettable SAL looney rant, to the special investigations that the Star has done quite well. I'll still have a bit of that, given work-arounds, the 10 free article views and through Facebook/Twitter posts, but can't justify paying for multiple Toronto digital news sites. I'll probably just pay for the Star.
Agreed with all points, albeit the 'work arounds' are possible due to a weaker paywall with the Star, much like the Pest and Stun. That wasn't possible with the Globe who have more of a Murdoch stable type paywall, although Murdoch locks all content save for the headline and the first paragraph (London Times, WSJ, The Australian, etc, etc). The Globe is the leading source for the news I need on Canada, so I subscribed for the on-line edition.

The Star is going to find it a bit of a challenge. Forced to choose between the Star and the Globe, it's a bit of a no-brainer for me, a shame, as TorStar has finally 'gotten it' and running excellent articles on Toronto's ridiculously bad road infrastructure for cycling. But there is that 'workaround', and it's remarkably easy even if it takes a little extra stick-handling to do it.

If the Star stays with its latest 'latest', they'd better up their game and can the 'how to be hip and cool', cooking, and gossip mag confidential detritus.

Their marketing makeovers have been disasters in the past. They buried a lot of their finest journos for the sake of appealing to the iMeMyself tablet immediate gratification entertainment news crowd.

Last edited:
Many of the same articles can be found elsewhere on the internet. I still have a Star subscription so can read their articles. I can check CBC. I can come here. I can buy a paper should I feel the need. There are many options besides a Globe subscription

And what is the answer? Count me in the crowd who fears for paid fact checkers and balanced reporting.
The Star does not offer balanced reporting.

This piece, posted in their News, not Opinion section pushed me over the edge with its terribly oneside POV, sarcastic digs and obvious slant:
Entitled, or unemployable: which is the real Lindsay Shepherd?
https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/20...oyable-which-is-the-real-linday-shepherd.html

The Star can’t seem to do is to investigate and then convey facts without opinion or slant. I can get that for free from HuffPost and Vox.

I subscribe to The Atlantic, as I like the fair and in-depth coverage, and how I can download the magazine for reading in airplane mode.

Back on topic, I’m considering a Globe subscription, since I always enjoyed their coverage over the Star.

The Star does not offer balanced reporting.

This piece, posted in their News, not Opinion section pushed me over the edge with its terribly oneside POV, sarcastic digs and obvious slant:
Entitled, or unemployable: which is the real Lindsay Shepherd?
https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/20...oyable-which-is-the-real-linday-shepherd.html

The Star can’t seem to do is to investigate and then convey facts without opinion or slant. I can get that for free from HuffPost and Vox.

I subscribe to The Atlantic, as I like the fair and in-depth coverage, and how I can download the magazine for reading in airplane mode.

Back on topic, I’m considering a Globe subscription, since I always enjoyed their coverage over the Star.
The Economist.

I had a print subscription which gave me access to digital. We travel a lot, and unlike the Star, you still have to pay for your paper even when it isn’t being delivered. When they raised the price this week, we decided to leave. If we end up missing it, we will get a digital only subscription. I read news from many sources though, and the Globe was never my go-to (nor is the Star).

I had a print subscription which gave me access to digital. We travel a lot, and unlike the Star, you still have to pay for your paper even when it isn’t being delivered. When they raised the price this week, we decided to leave. If we end up missing it, we will get a digital only subscription. I read news from many sources though, and the Globe was never my go-to (nor is the Star).
I didn’t know about the details of the print subscription. I would not want to pay either if I were away. Mine is digital. The paper used to pile up and get recycled. I read digital more because I can. But I read it with less discipline because it is easier to flip around and get distracted.

Looking closely at the Star's terms, *at this point in time* they are not charging to 'register':
Register now for free and get limited time, full access to thestar.com. Later, your continued access will require a paid subscription. It's a way for you to support the Star's necessary empowerment of the truth. A way for you to stand beside us as, together, we stand up for your city.

Wherever you are, whenever you need us, we're here.
I'm leery of doing that, albeit I might yet. (I just wrote a work-around but decided to erase it, I don't want them closing hidden gaps)

Looking closely at the Star's terms, *at this point in time* they are not charging to 'register':

I'm leery of doing that, albeit I might yet. (I just wrote a work-around but decided to erase it, I don't want them closing hidden gaps)
They have clearly said they will. And I don’t blame them. Journalism was not free until the past 20 years and that has brought quality issues. Personally, I attribute the Trump phenomenon to the quality of information provided.

Anyway, Torstar is bleeding red ink and laid off yet more staff last week.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/bus...cutting-11-full-time-staff-10-part-time-copy/

Back