News   Mar 28, 2024
 983     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 554     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 846     0 

Globe and Mail, tear down this paywall!

This is probably the most apt string to post this.

I normally have a very high regard for the Globe and Mail. Canada scores very well for quality of press, even in these trying times for quality journalism, but I caught the Globe in a scandalous act yesterday.

From the reader comments, for
Canada willing to freeze armoured vehicle exports to Saudi Arabia, Trudeau says
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/pol...eze-armoured-vehicle-exports-to-saudi-arabia/

Poster 'x':
10 hours ago
I see that the Globe is continuing to purge all the previous comments whenever it updates a story. So disrespectful to the readers who took the time to comment.
My response to add to 'x':
9 hours ago
I went looking for previous copy by using the on-site search. The Globe has actually purged the original stories as well as comments, and now linked them to this one. For a paper that claims to promote good journalism, that's a serious faux-pas. Speaking of the Saudis...

Both posts got high thumbs-up score. I think it hit a nerve.

I traced the original story being referred to above, and it's here: (From the Globe's site search)

Canada is prepared to freeze arms deal with Saudi Arabia if necessary, Trudeau says DAVID LJUNGGREN OCTOBER 22, 2018

And here's the link:
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/pol...eze-armoured-vehicle-exports-to-saudi-arabia/

Note that link is the same as the one posted for the article first posted above!

Through the magic of Google, we find that *Reuters* copy is still available freely on the internet at other sites, including the NYTimes, Reuter's own site, and many others.

It's now been taken down, but when I traced the article back to the Globe's website by using the originally assigned title, there was a notice akin to:
'Due to legal reasons and/or an abuse of the comments, this article is no longer available'.

Interesting, since the Globe got flamed in comments for running a Reuters article instead of one by their own staff. That in itself didn't hit a nerve for Globe staff I think, it was most probably my comment to that poster of 'common ownership' by the Thomson Family for both.

Sound like hyperbole?

Read this:
Canada's Rich, Troubled Thomson Family
[....]
Though the Thomsons are said not to meddle in the editorial content of their media holdings, ownership - and the allies that accrue - has its privileges. Both the Globe and the Starhave followed the Pellicano scandal. Yet neither mentioned its connection to Taylor Thomson, one deemed newsworthy by both the New York Times and the Los Angeles Times. The National Post, meanwhile, splashed the story on its front page. Editors in the Globe's newsroom debated whether or not to cover David Thomson's marital woes. That they didn't run a story isn't surprising - few media outlets, including Maclean's, would report on their proprietors' private lives.

That so little is known of the Thomsons can also be attributed to the privacy scrim that surrounds them. Accounts of their lives, available in print, are missing from newspaper databases. The Globe's photo department refuses to sell photographs of the family, referring calls to Woodbridge. The Globe, which has covered the business and personal travails of the Aspers and Blacks, has done little on the Thomsons beyond running a front-page image of one of Ken Thomson's Krieghoffs every Christmas.

An army of lawyers and accountants stands guard, many from the Toronto establishment law firm Torys LLP. John A. Tory, son of the firm's founder, has served as Ken Thomson's financial adviser and éminence grise for over 30 years. Torys alumnus Geoff Beattie, president of Woodbridge and deputy chairman of Thomson Corp., plays that role for David Thomson. In preparing this story, Maclean's made a formal request to interview Thomson family members. "Not gonna happen," said Beattie. Few will speak of the family, on or off the record. Those who did - even on the condition of anonymity - reported back to Woodbridge, boasts Beattie. Like a Victorian novel, the servants know all, but refuse to speak - unless in court-filed affidavits. "Toronto clams up when anybody has that amount of money," says a Toronto forensic accountant.
[...]
https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/canadas-rich-troubled-thomson-family

The analog to the Saudi Royal Family is striking. That the Globe's Editorial Department found fit to allow this 'fudge'...'besmirchment'...of their otherwise excellent editorial policy is like lifting Lord Black of Crossdressing's (Conrad Black, now expunged from the UK House of Lords) ermine cloak to reveal dirty underwear...

Shame on the Globe for this...

Last edited:
This is a really dumb post. You can get hacked visiting almost any site.

Just make sure you have a good firewall and anti-virus
I surf pretty much exclusively with my iPad. Nothing is 100% secure, but AIUI, hacking an iPad and installing malicious software to record keystrokes, track websites or other activity, record banking info or passwords or turn on the camera is comparatively difficult vs. my Dell PC running Windows 10. For an American company I think Apple is not the NSA's favourite IT firm.

I surf pretty much exclusively with my iPad. Nothing is 100% secure, but AIUI, hacking an iPad and installing malicious software to record keystrokes, track websites or other activity, record banking info or passwords or turn on the camera is comparatively difficult vs. my Dell PC running Windows 10. For an American company I think Apple is not the NSA's favourite IT firm.
Most malware software are .exe files, which don't work on MacOS, iOS, or Linux (including Android). However, those aforementioned operating systems aren't immune to malware in general.

Good antivirus software is practically necessary when using Windows. Even Microsoft's own antivirus software isn't good enough.

Back