News   Apr 24, 2024
 314     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 442     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 480     0 

General railway discussions

The gov in general should be pushing NEXUS a lot more than it does - a lot of people aren't aware of how inexpensive and relatively easy it is to get, yet only a small percentage of people have it despite travelling across the border semi-regularly. Seriously - if you cross the border more than once a year it's probably worth getting.

There is no thrill better than arriving at Pearson late at night after a long cramped flight, finding a huge lineup in the Customs hall, and realising hey, I can bypass that with my NEXUS card.... declaration made in seconds, out the door and into the limo....best $50 I ever spent. Same when driving.

The problem for on-train clearance even with Nexus is actually the technology and data link they need to scan your docs, take your picture/fingerprint/retina scan, and deal with whatever the computer tells them. I am convinced that for 90% of travellers, the questions the officers ask are just filler until the computer spits out your life history. The computer decides if you are OK. For the other 10% of travellers, either they need you in an interview room or they need additional office equipment and technology to process your documentation, work permits, declaration and duty payment, etc.

Across the platform clearance and transfer to Amtrak in Niagara Falls is not the worst option, perhaps with a shuttle bus option to major destinations in the Falls and Buffalo. Same at Windsor. Our border isn’t like the EU, we can’t expect that simplicity..

- Paul

It's not just the logistics, although that is part of it. Customs and Immigration pre-clearance as we currently know it happens before you board the conveyance and cross the border. If, for example, a CBSA agent was able to be stationed in the US and board a train, they would have to make their decision before the train crosses the border and if someone is ineligible, prevent them from crossing. Regardless of how the clearance happens, once you in the sovereign territory of one nation or the other, their laws apply.

A stock and cash offer with an overall premium of 21% based on current stock price of CN.

In terms of what's best for the industry I would lean to the CP offer; and I would question whether CN would find its path to regulatory approval more challenging than would CP.

I wonder if this isn't merely an attempt to make their rival pay more $$$ for KCS than would otherwise be the case.

I wonder if this isn't merely an attempt to make their rival pay more $$$ for KCS than would otherwise be the case.
Or secure some other concessions or protections.

I can't imagine that CN's bid would survive the regulator, because CN already owns the IC line which is the parallel north-south route. But that doesn't prevent any number of other scenarios or deals in the hallway, especially given the KCS's reach into Texas and Mexico, as well as their east-west route across the South.

- Paul.

From the article (translated)

Most of this investment, nearly $ 137 million, will be used to rehabilitate the Gaspé railway.

The Minister of Transport, François Bonnardel, affirms that the section between Caplan and Port-Daniel-Gascons will be commissioned in 2022.
"And we still expect the full commissioning in 2025, therefore of the entire portion from Matapedia to Gaspé"

From the article (translated)

Most of this investment, nearly $ 137 million, will be used to rehabilitate the Gaspé railway.

The Minister of Transport, François Bonnardel, affirms that the section between Caplan and Port-Daniel-Gascons will be commissioned in 2022.
"And we still expect the full commissioning in 2025, therefore of the entire portion from Matapedia to Gaspé"
So this means VIA can resume Gaspé service?

So this means VIA can resume Gaspé service?

It should be possible, by 2025; but actually resuming service would be an operational decision of VIA Rail.

By then the service will have been gone since 2013.

I'm not sure what commitment, if any VIA has made to restoring service.

@Urban Sky would be best to comment.

Well the CN/CP thing is either a bit personal between 2 CEOs......or they've both been spending too much time in weekend Drama classes:

1619149149147.png

1619149214929.png

Last edited:
Without any doubt, the most wasteful and superfluous infrastructure project in this country, but probably unavoidable if you want to reassure the people of Lac-Megantic that the disaster won’t repeat itself in their community without demonstrating any inclination to actually address the causes of what led to the entirely predictable and avoidable loss of 47 lives…

For anyone who still thinks that any lessons have been learnt from the fatal events in 2013:

Last edited:

Back