News   Apr 19, 2024
 350     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 675     3 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 741     1 

General cycling issues (Is Toronto bike friendly?)

From the St. Clair West Transportation Master Plan at this link, page 16.

CYCLING IMPROVEMENTS
Following the City’s Ten Year Cycling Plan, new cycling connections are recommended as part of the road improvements. These will provide a comprehensive network of connections to existing bike facilities. A mix of bike lanes, cycle tracks, and multi-use trails will provide safe and effective links.
I can't get past a cover page with the link you've posted twice. I have accessed one map, but it doesn't show the WTRP northerly projection. I'm looking for an explanation of why their proposed route has changed so much, and for so little, if any, improvement over what is already extant save for painted lines on asphalt.

Their proposal for cycle lanes on Dundas is an invitation to cyclists getting mowed down, btw, unless they install a proper two-way concrete separated lane on the east side south from Annette/Dupont, and install lights at the slip road from Dundas to Dupont, one of the most dangerous turns in Toronto. It's an excellent spot to hurl Poems by Tourette at idiot drivers who never indicate their turn there. I've been grazed a couple of times, and the drivers kept going.

So I'd love to know how that's going to magically become safe. Bloor Lanes again?

Some missing pieces from the latest rah-rah-rah stories:
7968781-portion-of-west-toronto-railpath-to-close-for-new-track-project

Portion of West Toronto Railpath to close for new track project
Metrolinx also needs portion of land to build fourth track
NEWS NOV 29, 2017 BY AARON D'ANDREA BLOOR WEST VILLAGER

A partial closure of the West Toronto Railpath near the Bloor GO Station to accommodate construction of a pedestrian tunnel extension late next year “is insane,” according to Adam Charlesworth.

“Without question, it (the Railpath) is the number one neighbourhood improvement,” the Junction Triangle resident told Metroland Media Toronto. “The whole community uses (it).”

The work is part of the provincial transit agency’s plans to install a fourth track on the Kitchener GO line, which runs through the west-end neighbourhood, as part of its Regional Express Rail project.

“We’re taking the existing tunnel and extending it out underneath the Railpath to Randolph Avenue,” said Joel Dempster, the project’s manager. “So when we’re connecting it under where the track will go, we’re going to have to install some shoring (building supports) and open excavate that, so there’ll probably have to be a detour around that construction area for six months to a year.”

Related Content
He added there won’t be room to install a temporary path, so trail users will be diverted along Randolph to Perth Avenue, then to Bloor where they will be able to access the path again.

“Not only is it a drag about people getting to the train station, but a lot of people use it to get to Dundas,” resident Richard Mongiat said. “It’s a major route for people from our neighbourhood to get to Dundas and downtown.”

On Monday, a concept design was unveiled to the public at a meeting.

From Wallace to Dundas Street West, Metrolinx will have to take a portion of the land to build the fourth track, Dempster said.

“In between Dupont (Street) and Wallace, we don’t need to take any property because we have found enough space within the rail corridor,” he said. “Where things really widen out is at the station because we need to fit in the platforms that are there … at Bloor, between Dundas and Perth, there’s so many buildings there that we can only fit so much within the rail corridor so it’s that balance of trying to find enough room for our tracks without having an impact on the Railpath.”

Local Coun. Ana Bailao said negotiations are ongoing between Metrolinx and the city for the exact amount of land needed and how much land the city would take from Metrolinx in return for the city's expansion of the Railpath to just south of Queen Street West.

“Whatever land were losing, it’s going to count towards the land we need to acquire in the south,” she said. “We’re also going to start detailed design next year, so we will know the exact measurements that we need south.”

Furthermore, more noise walls of the same material would be put in place, Dempster said. However, the plan for the current walls that have been plagued by graffiti is to include greenery to cover the surface, which is what the community asked for before installation in 2015.

“With this plan, they’re just fixing something they messed up before,” said Kevin Putnam of the Junction Triangle Rail Committee. “Very grateful they’re doing it, but it’s a mess that they created.”

Dempster said they did a pilot project with green walls previously, and it ended up not being feasible and required a lot of maintenance.

Vines will be planted and murals for the upper portion of the walls are in consideration, he added.

“Those vines are fairly self-sufficient,” Dempster said. “If we can plant mature vines and have them trained onto this wire-mesh system, then they should take off fairly quick and be self-sustaining.”

Metrolinx staff will now work on a detailed design which could be ready in the spring.
https://www.toronto.com/news-story/...onto-railpath-to-close-for-new-track-project/

From the West Toronto Railpath Extension website at https://www.toronto.ca/community-pe...tations/infrastructure-projects/westrailpath/

Update May 2018 – Detailed Design

The Detailed Design phase of the West Toronto Railpath Extension (WTRE) is currently underway. This task is being carried out jointly by the City of Toronto and Metrolinx with assistance from Hatch Limited, and is expected to be completed by Spring 2019.

A complete design plan will be developed that will guide the future construction of the Railpath Extension multi-use trail, including detailed plans and drawings for:

• Four pedestrian-cycle bridges: over the Barrie rail corridor south of Dundas St. West (with provision for future connection to Sorauren Park), over Lansdowne Av., over Brock St. and over Queen St. W.
  • Trail surface
  • Lighting
  • Landscape architecture and plantings
  • Trail amenities at street access points such as benches, waste and recycling receptacles, bike parking options, etc.
Acts, regulations and City by-laws that may need to be adhered to will be incorporated into the design, including the Migratory Birds Convention Act, Ontario Heritage Act and Noise Control By-law, amongst others. In addition, where the trail route intercepts public utilities, review and approvals will be required from Metrolinx and utility companies including Hydro One and Enbridge Gas.

The Detailed Design phase will also require coordination with other projects planned in the area, including:

• Barrie Rail Corridor Expansion
  • Kitchener Rail Corridor Expansion (including modifications to West Toronto Railpath Phase 1, north of Dundas St. West)
  • Bloor-Lansdowne GO Station Environmental Assessment Study
  • King-Liberty SmartTrack Station design
To date, the first steps of the Detailed Design have included surveying the project site, conducting archeological studies, gathering background data and reviewing municipal, provincial and federal standards and guidelines that are relevant to the design and construction of the trail.

Opportunities to Get Involved
Public engagement is an important element of this project. The first of two public events on the Detailed Design will be held in Summer 2018. City of Toronto staff and members of the project team will provide updates on the Detailed Design and receive feedback from the public. Information about this event will be posted on this website and shared through the project mailing list.

Several meetings will be scheduled with key stakeholders including property owners, community organizations and residents to discuss topics such as access points to the trail, safety, lighting, and plantings.

The City will also be seeking advice from the Design Review Panel (DRP) whose mandate is to assist City Council in fulfilling Official Plan objectives by providing City staff with professional design advice on public and private developments. The project team first presented to the DRP on September 18, 2013. The City and Metrolinx will be going back to the DRP to seek advice on the design for the Railpath Extension.

Project Scope
The limits of the WTRE Detailed Design phase are from Dundas St. West and Sterling Rd. south to Abell St. and Sudbury St. These limits were identified through the Environmental Assessment (EA) Study process, which was completed in Spring 2016. The EA study also determined the preferred trail alignment and the location of access points to local streets. Most of the Railpath Extension will be located within the Metrolinx owned rail corridor, with an on-street segment immediately adjacent to the rail corridor south of Queen St. The preferred alignment was determined in coordination with Metrolinx.

As part of the EA study, options for the proposed trail segment from Abell St. south to King St. West were reviewed and presented at a public meeting in December 2014. At that time, the project team did not recommend an alignment for this section and acknowledged that further study and consultation would be needed before trail alignment can be determined for this area. As a result, the proposed trail segment south of Abell St. was not included in the Railpath Extension. Currently, this particular area is experiencing many changes including new development applications, Metrolinx track expansion for Regional Express Rail (RER) and electrification, and planning for a new SmartTrack/GO RER station.

There is ongoing discussion about how the Railpath Extension will tie in to the planned King-Liberty SmartTrack station as part of the station design process. For information about station design and related public consultation, visit the SmartTrack website.

What needs to happen before construction can begin?
Before construction of the West Toronto Railpath Extension begins, the Detailed Design must be completed and an agreement on land ownership must be in place between the City and Metrolinx, which are currently underway. The timeline for construction of the Railpath Extension is influenced by a number of factors, including coordination with Metrolinx construction projects mentioned above, such as the Barrie Rail Corridor Expansion and Electrification. Construction of the Railpath Extension will need to be coordinated with the implementation of these projects.

Advocates urge cyclists to use new “Please don’t kill me” hand signal

From the Beaverton, at this link:

TORONTO – Cycling safety advocates have developed a new hand signal following a string of fatal accidents on Toronto’s streets. In addition to the existing signals for ‘right’, ‘left’, and ‘stop’, cyclists can now inform oncoming drivers of the their humanity and will to live.

The new “Please don’t kill me” hand signal will be taught as part of bike safety programs in schools and community centres across the GTA, in the hopes that cyclists can more efficiently beg for their lives.

“The trick to road safety is communication. Part of the problem is that most motorists don’t actually know that cyclists really like being alive. If we can communicate that, then they can make an informed decision on whether or not to kill us,” says Paul Haldon, spokesperson for CycleSafe.

“I’ve always assumed that, if someone is riding a bike in Toronto, they don’t care about death. I mean, what other reasons could there possibly be?” says Peter Hale, a professional driver who is fully in favour of the plan. “I would hate to hit a cyclist. Think of what it might do to my car.”

The initiative has plans to develop a series of these signals to help expand communication between cyclists and motorists. Among them are signals for “Why don’t you value my life”, “Please, I have a loving family” and “If I die because you’re five minutes late for hot yoga, I’m going to haunt you.”

These changes are being made with the help of Vision Zero, a city-wide initiative that is going into effect again, after officially going into effect two years ago. John Tory has called the recent incidents, “bad for my approval rating” and has pledged another $13 Million to the project, with the hopes that it will finally go into effect.

Most drivers agree that bike safety is a priority. Recent polls asking motorists to comment on the new signals have shown that 32% of motorists consider them “Important”, 48% answered “I did not know cyclists had hand signals,” while the remaining 20% replied “Wait, are we supposed to signal?”​

Bikeshare rollout continues:

Queen/Hammersmith (Beach area)
Summerhill Avenue (Rosedale)
Douglas Drive, by Chorley Park (Rosedale)

Those are the ones that jumped out at me.

I talked to an Bike Share Toronto employee earlier today. He said that about 90 stations will be deployed instead of 70!

Good to hear!

Looks we've got a dozen or so new ones in so far.

So another 70+ to go.

Selfishly, I want another 35 or so in the east end/ East York.

Some material changes to Bikeshare's fee structure approved at the Green P board mtg.

- New $3.25 single ride option (30 minutes)
- Altered charge for time beyond 30 minutes, moving to a standard $4 per 1/2 hour, capped at $100 per day.
- New Corporate Membership Plan
- Increase annual membership fee to $99

https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2018/pa/bgrd/backgroundfile-116786.pdf

By and large I think this is the right direction, particularly simplifying the overage fees and adding the single ride option.

I personally think the annual fee is a bit high and would prefer they moved away from promotional discounts towards a lower fee.

The other thing missing here is an increase in base travel time.

As stations get further apart due to an extended coverage area, I think a move to 45M base travel time is important.

Selfishly, I want another 35 or so in the east end/ East York.
It would be a good idea.

East-west cycling in the east end/East-York is relatively flat. Streetgrid is well connected to the core where most of the facilities and ridership are already located, and it becomes an alternative for many to using the slow streetcar lines. Expanding heavily into the east-end would likely generate many more trips and new riders.

I selfishly want expansion to the north, but realistically I think the ridership potential is hindered due to topology and the lack of safe north-south routes for cyclists unwilling to take Yonge/Avenue/Mt.Pleasant/Bayview.

Some material changes to Bikeshare's fee structure approved at the Green P board mtg.

- New $3.25 single ride option (30 minutes)
- Altered charge for time beyond 30 minutes, moving to a standard $4 per 1/2 hour, capped at $100 per day.
- New Corporate Membership Plan
- Increase annual membership fee to $99

https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2018/pa/bgrd/backgroundfile-116786.pdf

By and large I think this is the right direction, particularly simplifying the overage fees and adding the single ride option.

I personally think the annual fee is a bit high and would prefer they moved away from promotional discounts towards a lower fee.

The other thing missing here is an increase in base travel time.

As stations get further apart due to an extended coverage area, I think a move to 45M base travel time is important.

I think a 45 min travel time is must if they're going to charge you $4 after 30 min. Lots of my rides come close to 30 min, and sometimes a bit over, and that's going through maybe half the service area. Paying an extra 1.50 was reasonable, but $4 is kind of steep if my ride hits 31 minutes.

I think a 45 min travel time is must if they're going to charge you $4 after 30 min. Lots of my rides come close to 30 min, and sometimes a bit over, and that's going through maybe half the service area. Paying an extra 1.50 was reasonable, but $4 is kind of steep if my ride hits 31 minutes.

I occasionally stop at a dock and then continue my ride if I think I'm going to top 30min. Yeah, that $4 over is a bit much. I will likely keep a closer watch on my time now and do the dock/undock thing more often.

I occasionally stop at a dock and then continue my ride if I think I'm going to top 30min. Yeah, that $4 over is a bit much. I will likely keep a closer watch on my time now and do the dock/undock thing more often.
You can do this - but it's a really silly thing to have to do. The fare structure should be built to avoid it, given the penalty for overages.

Especially now that the system is expanding further out - you are going to see a lot more people making trips more than 30 minutes, and probably a lot more people "swapping" out bikes to avoid a punitive fee for making what is otherwise a legitimate trip.

Back