News   May 02, 2024
 709     0 
News   May 02, 2024
 382     0 
News   May 02, 2024
 312     0 

General cycling issues (Is Toronto bike friendly?)

I sent a text to Doug today asking that the scourge of societal outcasts on e-scooters be reigned in, and put under the same MTO laws covering gas powered mopeds.

ebike-urban-diplomat.jpg

So, you can blame me if it gets traction.

ebike.jpeg

Heaven forbid that Ontario becomes like The Netherlands.
Of course, Doug would never get on a e-bike nor regular bicycle to commute.

Heaven forbid that Ontario becomes like The Netherlands.
Of course, Doug would never get on a e-bike nor regular bicycle to commute.
I rode through Amsterdam for a week earlier this month. Gas and electric powered Vespa-like scooters racing up the bike lanes are a scourge there too.

Cyclists Hate Scooters, So Amsterdam Is Banning Them From Bike Lanes
Amsterdam says scooters are causing too many accidents.
https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/...dam-is-enacting-a-scooter-ban-cyclists-ebikes

But hey, don't let the facts get in the way.

There is still plenty of local funding, at least for Toronto. But yes, a lot of that money and those projects are gone.

However, the notice period is 12 months. For that period money from auctions will still come in. In addition, the bill C-74 received Royal ascent. That overrules Doug's fantasies!

I rode through Amsterdam for a week earlier this month. Gas and electric powered Vespa-like scooters racing up the bike lanes are a scourge there too.

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/...dam-is-enacting-a-scooter-ban-cyclists-ebikes

I don't get your gist. The Netherlands are banning them and Amsterdam is obviously light years ahead of Toronto when it comes to cycling infrastructure. Those are facts.

Toronto is behind many North Am cities, let alone Danish, Dutch, German, Belgian and many other nations. My nerve to cycle in this city continues to decline and I'm a well seasoned, fit and avid, and *aware* cyclist.

Why is my 'nerve' declining rather than increasing in a city that claims to be pro-cycling?

No end to these kinds of stories:

This Toronto cyclist caught his hit-and-run on video. It was the beginning of his frustrations
By GILBERT NGABOStarMetro Toronto
Thu., June 21, 2018

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/20...it-was-the-beginning-of-his-frustrations.html

I saw a truck drive by my office with some more bike share stations on it. I'm looking forward to seeing where the new stations go.

That's exciting. Interesting that there hasn't been a press release about the expansion yet. Probably likely because of the change of government, last years announcement was from all 3 levels of government. Good to see the expansion occurring regardless.

I think Parkdale & Little Portugal area is undeserved with too few stations, considering how popular cycling is in these neighbourhoods.

Looks like quite a few new stations were added yesterday/today:

Westmoreland Ave / Fernbank Ave
Havelock St / Dufferin Park
Bathurst St / Adelaide St W
Mill St / Parliament St
120 Primrose Avenue
Winona Dr / Davenport Rd
Queen St. E / Woodward
Queen St. E / Rhodes Ave.
Sherbourne St / Isabella St
Amelia St. / Sumach St.
Coxwell Ave. / Lakeshore Blvd. E
Queen St. E / Eastern Ave

Last edited:
Bike paths for bicycles.

If you're riding a scooter that can be operated without pedalling, you stay on road with motorcycles and mopeds. And if you're on a mobility scooter, you're on the sidewalk, not the bike paths.
I get that, obviously, but your comment to @W. K. Lis :

Amsterdam is cracking down on them, as your linked article clearly shows, but Toronto is still allowing electric scooters (which are not e-bikes) to use cycle lanes.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding to whom "But hey, don't let the facts get in the way" was directed?

From the St. Clair West Transportation Master Plan at this link, page 16.

CYCLING IMPROVEMENTS
Following the City’s Ten Year Cycling Plan, new cycling connections are recommended as part of the road improvements. These will provide a comprehensive network of connections to existing bike facilities. A mix of bike lanes, cycle tracks, and multi-use trails will provide safe and effective links.

St Clair Weston.jpg

Attachments

• St Clair Weston.jpg
    St Clair Weston.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 485
From the St. Clair West Transportation Master Plan at this link, page 16.

CYCLING IMPROVEMENTS
Following the City’s Ten Year Cycling Plan, new cycling connections are recommended as part of the road improvements. These will provide a comprehensive network of connections to existing bike facilities. A mix of bike lanes, cycle tracks, and multi-use trails will provide safe and effective links.
Bit of a damp squib. It will not be much of an improvement, if any, over what already exists. I live right next to the path, use it often to head south to Dundas for my fair share of punishment. Unless the path on street is physically separated, it just gives motorists a line to cross to do as they wish, much as they do now.

Bit of a damp squib. It will not be much of an improvement, if any, over what already exists. I live right next to the path, use it often to head south to Dundas for my fair share of punishment. Unless the path on street is physically separated, it just gives motorists a line to cross to do as they wish, much as they do now.

Make your comments known by attending the public events:

Attend a public event to learn more about the study recommendations and provide feedback. Comments will be accepted until July 8, 2018.

• Saturday June 23, 2018. The Symes, 150 Symes Road, 1 – 3 p.m
  • Monday June 25, 2018. Joseph J. Piccininni Community Centre, 1369 St. Clair West, 6 – 8:30 p.m.
Venues are wheelchair accessible. Please contact the City to arrange for any accommodations three business days in advance of the public event.
Or
These documents may not be fully accessible. For accessible formats or communications support, please contact:Robyn Shyllit, Sr. Public Consultation Coordinator. Telephone: 416-392-3358 Email: Robyn.Shyllit@toronto.ca

From link.

^I'm sure my comments on how it's a damp squib will make a huge difference. The land to do what should be done isn't available. Promises were made in the past that they aren't now intending or able to keep. What use is there in my adding comment to that?

I put more faith and utilization into the southward extension, when it finally opens. That's where the real need is anyway. I know most of the side streets north of here, have for half a century and more, and this "proposed" extension is no apparent improvement. Btw: I disagree with Metrolinx claim that there is insufficient space next to the tracks. I've scouted the area and see a fair amount of usable space, especially south of St Clair. It would take the City acquisitioning severance of several properties where a lane was once extant running next to the rail RoW, but that would take guts and backbone and real political will-power on the part of the City. No comment on that...

Addendum: I don't wish to appear at odds with Lis, I just don't see any value in going to a 'yes' passive meeting, wasted too much time over the years playing the plebe game. The way to effect change is to go to the top, not the bottom, and I've had stunning success on a some large political matters, but I digress.

Some background to consider:
West Toronto Rail Path Update
Posted on September 4, 2017 by dandy
[...]
But questions still remain as to the rail path’s future. For example, a detailed design, which will be informed both by the City’s Design Review Panel (DRP) and the public, is yet to be fleshed out. And construction is heavily contingent on the progress of Metrolinx, which plans to bring rush-hour service from Waterloo to Toronto via the corridor. This will change the shape of the corridor substantially.

So what do we know the rail path’s future? How will it be affected by Metrolinx’s plans? How can we help push the project forward?

I had a chance to discuss some these issues with Shawn Dillon, the City of Toronto’s Acting Manager of Cycling and Infrastructure and Programs.

Is the funding for the rail path extension secure?

We have funding available now through the Public Transportation Infrastructure Fund (PTIF). PTIF provides matching federal infrastructure funds. If things were to proceed very quickly, we could partially fund some construction with those dollars. However, we’re not expecting it to proceed quickly enough to take advantage of current funding.

We have heard that there will be additional phases of PTIF funding and, given that the project was previously approved, it is very likely that it would be approved again. So, we will get all the design work done [with current funding] and if things proceed very quickly or we get an extension we may get some construction completed [with current funding]. More likely, [funding for] construction will be part of an [additional] PTIF project. And if not, we will submit the project through our normal capital program and seek council approval through their budget program.

Who will do the design of the rail path extension?

We are working to hire Hatch Limited; this is the engineering consulting firm that Metrolinx has hired for their expansion. We are hiring them through Metrolinx so that we can make sure the two projects (rail path and rail expansion) are integrated.

We’ve reviewed Hatch and made sure we have a team that is heavily involved on active transportation design projects. They’ve also partnered with Scott Torrence Landscape Architect Inc. So they’ve got strong partners with experience in active transportation. We’re really confident that the design team we have has strong expertise in active transportation designs.

Can you tell us about the City’s Design Review Panel (DRP) that will review this project. Who is on this panel?

The DRP is a City of Toronto panel that serves as resource for city staff on projects of this magnitude. The panel includes architects, landscape architects and urban designers who provide independent and objective advice to City staff. They have informed other major infrastructure projects, like the redesign of the waterfront trail. If you want more information on them, you can go to the City of Toronto website; there is a section dedicated to the panel.

When will the public be able to see and comment on designs?

There will be two meetings about the project for the public. One will be done during the design process. This will happen sometime next year, once we have a reasonable design that we are ready to show. We will take that out for public review to get comments and we will incorporate what we hear into the final design. Could we be ready to have this [meeting with the public] by June 2018? Maybe. September (of 2018) will be more likely.

The second meeting will be more informational, to provide details on the final design and to give an update on plans for construction. We don’t know when that second meeting will be; it will be when we know and when we have a better indication as to when construction will proceed.

Will the expansion project affect the existing rail path?

Yes, there will be a time when the existing path will not remain open. We obviously hope to limit that as much as possible. But when Metrolinx proceeds, there will be a need to shift the alignment of the trail to the north. That’s something we’re still working through with Metrolinx.

So, any estimates as to when all this construction might begin?

Our goal is to have the detailed design completed by next year so as soon as Metrolinx says they are ready to start building we’ve got everything fully designed so it can be included in their construction.

It seems the future of the path depends heavily on Metrolinx. Is the rail path a priority for them?

Metrolinx is interested in delivering on transit projects but they are also very, very active in promoting and building active transportation facilities. For example, they are a partner in Toronto’s Bike Share and have helped to fund Bike Share. Their new transportation projects include the Finch West LRT; this will be built with very high quality pedestrian and cycling facilities. While Metrolinx has a focus on rail in this corridor, they are great partners in making sure active transportation components are considered and appropriate facilities installed.

For those of us eagerly awaiting the rail path extension, what can we do to help make sure it advances?

Reaching out to Metrolinx is the way to go. We can’t proceed without doing it in lockstep with them. We’re doing everything we can to be ready, and as soon as they say go we will have everything in place to make it happen. The project all hinges on them making the decision to move forward and we’re anxiously awaiting to hear from them.

To reach out to Metrolinx, you can contact: Joel Dempster, Project Manager, Metrolinx at: joel.dempster@metrolinx.com
http://dandyhorsemagazine.com/blog/2017/09/04/west-toronto-rail-path-update/

The map below shows continually in searching retrospective projections. Yes, it was just a "projection" but the vision for the northerly extension has now changed radically, and I have to question, as stated in my prior comment on this, how is the new proposal any better than just using the present streets?

upload_2018-6-22_21-56-17.png

http://www.anabailao.com/west_toronto_railpath_extension_update_july_2017

Same map re-appears serially last year, UT article here uses it:
http://urbantoronto.ca/news/2017/08/west-toronto-railpath-extension-inching-closer-reality

The excuse of SmartTrack could be used for the change of plans, except SmartTrack predates this by over a year. If I attend this meeting, it's to ask awkward questions, and I won't be in a good mood to listen to BS answers. And the staff assigned to these meetings aren't the ones who should be taking the flak. It's their political masters.

Attachments

• upload_2018-6-22_21-56-17.png
    upload_2018-6-22_21-56-17.png
    249.1 KB · Views: 477
Last edited:

Back