News   Jul 11, 2024
 5.1K     0 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 747     5 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 728     1 

G-20 Summit in Toronto

meh....

go film near a nuclear plant... probably same thing...

take it with a grain of salt... next week, you'll be able to film.

Real question is.. did you get a Permit from City hall?

... walking through the Queen/Yonge intersection at lunchtime yesterday, just thunderstruck that all the tacky, ramshackle newspaper/periodical boxes are gone. Too bad they're only gone for a while, the look is so much improved and the intersection is easier for a pedestrian to navigate.

The Delta Chelsea. That's where they're all staying. I'm guessing there will be a mini cop baby boom in about nine months.

Hey, isn't that close to where the hookers work their trade? (Church & Gerrard) Coincidence? Let's hope they don't get confused and pick up a tranny hooker on Homewood. Then again, Remingtons is right across the street, for those cops who like a little man-on-man action. I guess it's the ideal location for the cops.

Here are some pictures from a small protest of the G20 by UofT faculty and students. They were angry about "global capitalism" and the temporary closure of the campus for the G20 summit. They weren't the biggest group but the police definitely had a presence by following them and making sure nothing crazy happened. It was a nice little sideshow as I had to walk from St.George to the Bloor-Yonge station as a "suspicious package" was found over at Queen's Park station.

What's wrong with this picture? At least to me. Crowd control of protesters by police on bicycles:

[video=youtube;UHUJxbMnpcI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHUJxbMnpcI[/video]

What next? Police handing out flowers for peace?

they did the same thing during the tamil protests (using bikes). i think it worked out fairly well (in the sense that even if they DIDN'T have bikes, they wouldn't have been able to stop them getting on the Gardiner...)

That's fantastic actually. It's a peaceful protest, why shouldn't the police be non-threatening as well? Having seen docs on the Battle in Seattle, I think part of the reason protests go sour is the over-threatening appearance of cops and the provocation that goes with it. There's no need for massive shields and riot gear. I think protesters would be far less likely to go overboard if the police didn't go overboard as well.

For a bit of an analogy, a lot of people think hockey is actually more dangerous with helmets and better equipment than it was before helmets became mandatory. That might seem strange, but the extra security of a helmet and better equipment actually caused players to be more reckless and have less respect for the safety of their opponent. if there's mutual respect, then there's a better chance at avoiding a negative outcome.

What's wrong with this picture? At least to me. Crowd control of protesters by police on bicycles:

What next? Police handing out flowers for peace?

what are they supposed to control them with?

It's non threatening, and non-confrontational....

dfe better than cops in riot gear it's like a mini fence!

Hope the RCMP doesn't plant any 'agent provocateurs' in the crowd like they did in Quebec a few years ago.
There's never been any evidence that the RCMP officers under cover in the crowd were doing anything more than observing and reporting. There is no evidence that they deliberately incited or provoked the crowd. Nor does it make any sense that they would ... surely that would defeat their whole operation.

As much as I don't like what is currently going on in Toronto, and despise the wasted $100-millions of money of having two separate summit sites rather than just one, I don't see the need to make false claims. Surely then, that makes you, AGTO, the 'agent provocateur' ?

Last edited:
Hope the RCMP doesn't plant any 'agent provocateurs' in the crowd like they did in Quebec a few years ago.

It was not the RCMP but the Sûreté du Québec that was accused of having agent provocateurs at Montebello. They admitted that they did have officers dressed as protesters, and video evidence does suggest that the may have acted in such a manner. The RCMP was not involved as far as I know.

Back