775     5 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 756     1 

G-20 Summit in Toronto

here's a few from yesterday...
g20.jpg

g20hmv.jpg

g20mcdicks.jpg

this is over at King and Bathurst...a bit excessive I think.

CNN was doing "man on the street" interviews in Kensington today. When asked about the cost I said that it was absurd to hold it in the middle of downtown, and that the costs were obscene, etc. etc. when I finished the woman from CNN said "PERFECT! that was just what I needed." so that should give you an idea of where the american coverage is headed....

Perhaps that's proof that the news is written by an editor in the head office and not informed by what happens in reality? ;)

Regarding the King Street McDonald's being borded up, I'd say it's a prudent action. They are always a target during one of these events. I'm a little surprised that the Starbuck's further east hasn't made a plywood purchase of their own.

Just as an aside, for me, QPP has always had something to do with pensions and not police. But whatever.

G20 law gives police sweeping powers to arrest people
Published On Fri Jun 25 2010 Jennifer Yang

"The province has secretly passed an unprecedented regulation that empowers police to arrest anyone near the G20 security zone who refuses to identify themselves or agree to a police search.........."

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/tor...-police-sweeping-powers-to-arrest-people?bn=1

I have to agree with nfitz... it's generally called the SQ in English Quebec, and I believe also around here in Eastern Ontario too.

Last edited:
That is not cool at all. What exactly is "near" the security zone anyway? That would be up to the officer's discretion. So because I live just north of Adelaide, and I am walking around and a cop randomly decides to ask me for my ID, if I fail to produce it, I can be arrested when just going about my daily life. That is a police state, no?

I just read that too, it's stunning. The article does however state that you have to be within 5 metres of the security zone, namely the fence perimeter, before your rights get trampled. This is a very slippery slope and is deeply troubling.

The law is less disturbing than the manner in which it got passed without the slightest bit of public scrutiny and even knowledge.

AoD

Wow ...

The law I can understand ... but people being arrested earlier this week for breaking a law that only became public today? Hoy totalitarian batman! Though somehow, I doubt the courts will be quick to convict someone on a law that no one knew existed ... but I guess that's not the point for the police, who probably have no real interest on whether they get convictions or not.

Was walking around along both King And Queen West last night.... Most of the restaurants were closed (this was around 11) and the street was uncharacteristically dead. King west of Spadina was not, though. Looks like a lot of places are boarded up...is there a point to even leave your house this weekend?

6a00d8341bf8f353ef013484e1214b970c-pi

from Globe & Mail

If only the Toronto Sun hated the police union as much as the TTC. They would have had a field day.

Back