News   Jul 11, 2024
 5K     0 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 659     5 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 686     1 

G-20 Summit in Toronto

Banks, law firms, and consulting companies are encouraging thousands of employees to work from home and sending them to remote locations elsewhere in the Greater Toronto Area. Some businesses are planning to close their doors altogether on Friday.

Last edited:
Apparently the Security Beavers have been at work on trees in Allan Gardens now too ;-(
For some annoying reason the Gardens are a rally point for demonstrators.

For some annoying reason the Gardens are a rally point for demonstrators.

What a good place to put potentially violent protesters, surrounding a century old glass greenhouse.

When my 504 got to King and Jarvis this morning I heard a helluva ruckus - some cop hollerin' full blast at pedestrians. Then a convoy of SUV's ( one with a white-painted roof with red lettering on ) and a limo swept north through the intersection, and cop guy got on his motorbike and roared off behind them.

I dropped by Brooks Brothers in Royal Bank Plaza, who are dealing with the disruption by having a 40% sale, but there were no polka dotted bow ties left worth buying.

What a good place to put potentially violent protesters, surrounding a century old glass greenhouse.

Don't forget all the local crackheads....

It's too bad they don't have a 'community' voice to kibosh Allen Gardens as a protestor rally point. Seemed to have worked like a charm for Trinity Bellwoods Park.

In other news...

you ladies (and men), might as well enjoy the plethora of uniformed men out there...

http://thestar.blogs.com/g20/2010/06/rcmp-pinup-boys-on-the-water.html

Last edited:
Heard from a very close source that Obama is pitching his tent at the Westin Harbour Castle for the weekend. Seems like even the POTUS cannot resist their signature Westin Heavenly Bedâ„¢.

Union Station open during G20 Summit: Good move!

Everyone: I looked thru what GO Transit and the TTC had posted about the G20 Summit and I noticed that Union Station will be kept in operation at least for GO trains and the TTC Subway plans to operate the Y-U-S line normally - a good move where Toronto commuters are concerned.

I felt after reading VIA Rail Canada's diversion plan that Union Station would be closed but it seems that those in charge have at least noticed what Union Station and the TTC Subway mean to Downtown Toronto and decided to keep these vital stations and lines in operation.

Union Station means the same to Toronto as NY Penn Station was to NYC during the 2004 Republican National Convention.

Everyone can expect tight security there and as well on the TTC Subway's Y-U-S line during the G20 Summit.

I feel it will be quite interesting how things go in Toronto during the G20 and I expect no shortage of news coverage of this event in the US.

LI Mike

It was like a police convention behind the wall - OPP, York Region, Ottawa, Edmonton, Calgary, RCMP, just to name a few. Otherwise, the civilian population was way down.

Should be great fun this weekend. I'll pick up some DVD's from Queen Video, pick up extra groceries and stock up on alcohol - since the LCBO will now be closed for the G20 fun and games (it's been perceived as a possible target).

For those of you who don't live in the city and haven't had the chance to experience "Fortress Toronto".[video=youtube;zPgS6MJqGbQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPgS6MJqGbQ[/video]

so those who record video or take pictures in person have their ID recorded by security. what it the point of this since the videos and pictures end up online for anyone to see?

Back