News   Apr 16, 2024
 317     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 2.5K     6 

Forum Upgrade

I'm sad to see the "most posts" and "most likes" lists of forum members cut short. On the occasions where I would check them, it was nice to see a wide range of members represented, not the 20 that are listed now. And I will admit embarrassingly to being somewhat proud when I first made the "most likes" list (now I'm at least 60 past the cutoff).

My issues (on mobile at least). I cannot for the life of me find maps anywhere (has some pics I wanted to post)
The colour boldness between read and unread threads is not as contrasting so makes it harder to tell what’s what.
Building link no longer at the top of page (how I always go back to thread menu )
Page number links not at top and bottom of each thread page is also a bit frustrating for the same reason.
Still happy the site exists though

A couple other thoughts:

The icon of who started the thread is distracting. I think this is why people are finding the unread threads less "bold" looking - more visual clutter. It also is not really important information, given that most threads are active over the course of years, and distracts from the icon showing who last posted.

The bright colours of the icons for people who have not chosen their own avatar is similarly distracting. The previous male/female images were grey, perhaps grey letters would be better.

I also miss the UT logo at the top of the forum that could be used as a link to the main page. It is now a 2-step process to go to the main page from the forum - click on a news story, then from there click on the logo.

Of course, much of this may simply be things I get used to over time. I'm not going anywhere, so we shall see...

When I click "new posts" I only get posts from Vancouver.
Logging in resolves this but I would prefer not to have to log in every time I browse UT.

I can't bedtime surf it on my Android tablet anymore, the font is too small and if I zoom then I have to scroll back and forth horizontally. It seems immune to the text size setting in Chrome. :( My Android phone formats it differently and works fine, I'm guessing it uses a mobile site version instead, but I can't find 'mobile site' or 'desktop site' links anywhere on the page to deliberately change it up and experiment. Am I missing something?

Strange. Works perfectly fine on my Samsung Galaxy Tab S using Chrome.

Nvm.....the function that marks all forums as read does not work. Upon selecting the confirmation in the pop-up window, the software only pretends it's doing something by show of two "progress bars".

Clicking on thread title no longer takes you to the newest unread post.

Which is doubly-bad since there is no button anymore to take you to the newest unread post.

It works for me as well, but I noticed that this box over on the top right is ticked.
Screen Shot 2018-11-08 at 3.31.40 PM.jpg

Maybe it's just my phone, but if on mobile when looking at a Forum and list of threads, it doesn't have any clickable page numbers following the thread name. Like "page 1...27,28". So in order to enter a thread I'd be defaulted to page 1, when most likely want to see the last page.

Clicking the link will take you to the first unread post no matter what page (does not go to page 1 first). If you want a specific page in the thread go to the bottom and click the ### of ### button and you can pick the page you want. Not sure why you'd want this but it works. @44 North

1. Would it be possible to "unsticky" some of the stickied posts? Many go back years and they take up a lot of space at the top of each forum, pushing the real new content far down the page (especially on smaller screens where the new content is 2 or 3 full screens of scrolling down the page).
2. When logged in, I'm finding that the forum topics that have updates since last view are tougher to pick out. Maybe the text isn't as "bolder" as before?
3. Maybe the generic "initial" user icons are a bit too strong, but they are better than the old male/female icons were...

1. I will work on this. Did remove a couple
2. We improved the contrast. @jameskoole

Back