News   Jul 17, 2024
 545     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 1.5K     2 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 640     0 

Forum Shutdown For Upgrades

Looks great for the most part. Only two annoyances for me.

1. As others have stated, I'm finding the font harder to read than the old one.
2. It's a bit annoying that I have to hit a button to be taken to the first unread post in a thread rather than being automatically taken there.

ETA: another minor annoyance - post count seems to be gone.

9. Another thought--the date showing when a post has been posted should be at the top of the post, not at the bottom. This way if you've forgotten if you've already looked a picture, but you know you've been in the thread in the last 24 hours, you can quickly look at the top of the post to see if the date is before your last visit. It's not always easy to remember when you've seen pics, and it's a nuisance to have to go to the bottom of the post to check the date, then go back up to look at the pictures if you realize you haven't already seen them.

I also agree with this. It's the very first thing I noticed. Having the date at the top of a post lets me see immediately how long it was since I last checked the thread, or if I am indeed looking at a newer post. Now I have to scroll all the way to the bottom of the post to see when it was posted, which is a pain if that post has a lot of pictures or lots of text in the signature field.

One other minor qualm - the lines separating each post are too faint and makes it a little harder to visually separate each post.

I was dreading how it would look on my Blackberry Classic (I use the full version). But it actually looks quite good - perhaps better than with my desktop. The poster name does show up at the top here oddly.

Ditching the serif font would still help readability, but it's far more legible than the very small font on my desktop - and an improvement from the previous version.

The date is still at the bottom here though.

I agree about the date, it should be at the top of each post so that I immediately know how long it has been since I last visited that thread.

There should also be greater visual separation of each post. Right now they all visually run into each other.

Also, you used to be able to double-click on the forum icon to mark all threads as read. I used this a lot. Is there any other way to mark all threads as read?

Reactions: vic
Is there a "show latest" view? I always used to browse the forum by clicking the link up top that would show me all the most recently updated threads since my last visit. Can't find the equivalent option here.

Yes, click on little icon on top right of forum bar, immediately below the logo (tooltip: open quick navigation) - it would be under "recent activity".

Yes, click on little icon on top right of forum bar, immediately below the logo (tooltip: open quick navigation) - it would be under "recent activity".
Thanks! Sadly it's just a stream of posts and likes. The old view showed which threads were recently updated across the entire forum, so you could skip the threads you didn't care about. This one seems a bit like drinking from the firehose.

Looks better from my office desktop than my laptop ... I guess it's not choosing appropriate font sizes for all hardware.

Is there an option for users to disable avatar viewing ?

One other minor qualm - the lines separating each post are too faint and makes it a little harder to visually separate each post.

Yep, for sure. And then there should be an even thicker dividing line at the very end of each page. I keep on finding myself surprising that I'd posted in a thread last, when really it's just my textbox waiting for a reply.

Another way to fix this would be to take my avatar out from beside the reply box at the bottom of pages. I know who I am, so it just doesn't need to be there and is clutter-y.

There doesn't appear to be a way to see the Thread Name while you're in a thread.
I have to look at my URL to know what thread I'm reading, as I often open up several threads at once, and then read through them.

(Also... maybe those threads about "forum upgrades" from 2010 should be un-stickied? I nearly bumped that thread with my concerns.)

I wish that it would automatically go to the last post when clicking on a thread on mobile. This is how it used to work on the old software
You may need to log in. Once you are logged in, it does go to the last post, or at least it does for me.

There doesn't appear to be a way to see the Thread Name while you're in a thread.
I have to look at my URL to know what thread I'm reading, as I often open up several threads at once, and then read through them.

(Also... maybe those threads about "forum upgrades" from 2010 should be un-stickied? I nearly bumped that thread with my concerns.)
Thread name is at the top, on the left,but it is in small font and not as noticeable as it used to be

Back