News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.2K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 502     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

Former President Donald Trump's United States of America

Sure--I guess you forgot about that little event called WW2...

"which is nearly unprecedented in human history in terms of the speed at which it is occurring at, the disparity of the cultures brought together, and the number of people migrating to these Western countries."

At the end of the Second World War, at least 11 million people had been displaced from their home countries, with about seven million in Allied-occupied Germany. The Allies categorized the refugees as “displaced persons” (DPs) and assigned the responsibility for their care to the United Nations Relief and Rehabilitation Administration (UNRRA).

The United Nations Relief and Rehabilitation Administration was set up in 1943, to provide humanitarian relief to the huge numbers of potential and existing refugees in areas facing Allied liberation. UNRRA provided billions of US dollars of rehabilitation aid, and helped over 8 million refugees.

The majority of immigration occurring in the immediate post WW2 period was still largely within their respective continents, as various countries took advantage of the circumstances to remove perceived enemies (i.e. Japanese/Germans being purged from their former territories)- or movements of people displaced by the war within countries. Even in places like India/Pakistan, it was largely a movement of similar peoples, but of different religions- in the case of Israel- dissimilar peoples, but a common unifying mythos and religion. The large majority of these countries (Soviet-exempted) still remained largely ethnically homogeneous even past this period.

In the US and Canada, immigration was still largely from these European countries- the sort of modern immigration today did not start to emerge until full-scale decolonization began- and in the US, with the signing of the Immigration and Nationality Act of 1965. Again- degrees of separation- immigration in the West today takes in people from any part of the world as long as they satisfy the economic requirements- the large-scale settlement of culturally disparate people is nearly unprecedented in human history- and in Europe for the last few years- unprecedented in its speed.

I provided a simple historical fact about one large-scale mass migration--others have occurred throughout history. Now you're providing an opinion about the impending dangers of non-white immigration... I'll stick with the facts, thanks.

I don't know where you're drawing those comparisons from and how you're jumping to conclusions.

I basically said that the migration patterns happening today are nearly unprecedented in human history in their impact on a 'homogenized' society. You said that WW2 was comparable, but I said that these movements were still largely within their respective nations/cultural regions, and the degree of similarity between a migrants in large-scale continental migration is far greater than those in intercontinental migration due to fundamental underlying cultural differences.

If all you got out of these statements is non-white immigration = BAD!, wouldn't that be ... racist?

Last edited:
Not really into the condescending rhetorical masturbation you seem to enjoy, but if it makes you feel a little better to call me a racist, knock yourself out...

Your comment towards jje does seem out of line and I understand why he took offense. He did not say what you implied he said.

You specifically implied a negative intention in your description of his statement.

Worth saying here, I lean more towards the globalist view of things and I certainly have no time for myopic tribalism. I don't fear large scale migration and in saying as much I'm not as concerned as jje about its effects.

But I would say, I don't see any negative intent in his assertions, even if I'm not in agreement with them.

You are prone to immoderate reactions when people disagree with you, I've been on the wrong end of it myself, notwithstanding that we agree on a great many things.

Its not necessary to be naive to give people some benefit of the doubt that there intentions are good, even if you disagree w/their perspective on a given issue.

Ya, I've seen predictions and prognostications that are all over the map. I recently saw an interesting analysis of the 'mushy middle' states that were traditionally Democrat but went Republican (by varying margins) because Clinton didn't impress. Of course, I can't find it now. The hard-core GOP base will not move, and I read that the NRA has cranked up the $$ to counteract any Pittsburgh/mail bomb impact.

My gut tells me GOP wins in the House and Senate. I think the MSM is misreading the level of Democrat-like support in average America.

It surprises me sometimes just how much America has changed.

My gut tells me GOP wins in the House and Senate. I think the MSM is misreading the level of Democrat-like support in average America.

It surprises me sometimes just how much America has changed.
Maybe its the reporting that has changed.
I don't recall Obama being blamed for the shooting at Sandy Hook or the shooting at Charleston church. Yet somehow the most pro-Jewish President (perhaps ever), with half his family being Jewish, gets blamed when someone who hates Trump attacks a synagogue.

He blamed Jews for helping migrant caravans
On his Gab.com account, Bowers claimed Jews were helping transport members of the migrant caravans. He shared a video that another Gab.com user posted, purportedly of a Jewish refugee advocacy group HIAS on the US-Mexico border. Another post that Bowers commented on described HIAS' overall efforts as "sugar-coated evil."

He called those in migrant caravans 'invaders'
According to his posts, Bowers believed that those in the migrant caravans were violent because they were attempting to leave countries that had high levels of violence. And Bowers repeatedly called them "invaders" on his Gab posts. "I have noticed a change in people saying 'illegals' that now say 'invaders'," read one post, six days before the shooting. "I like this."
A law enforcement source confirmed to CNN that investigators believe the social media postings belong to Bowers and that the language on his account matches the suspected motivation behind the shootings.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/27/us/synagogue-attack-suspect-robert-bowers-profile/index.html

Guess who have been pushing the caravan threat narrative of late? Just because Trump isn't sufficiently pure for the shooter's taste doesn't mean he can wash his hands clean of his responsibilities. And if you want to see more examples of sheer callousness of his administration, check this out:

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-poli...e-christian-rabbi-loren-jacobs-messianic-jews

If it was a genuine mistake - it is embarrassingly tone-deaf; if it is intentional, well, that's just plain nasty, isn't it?

AoD

Last edited:
I don't think America has changed.

Except maybe that the truth about its people is now apparent.

Well, we can hope the GOP gets the frozen boot in the House , but if they do not, we have to concentrate on Canada so that the same rot doesn't rise here.

45581748_10114232596624091_7109838627860905984_n.jpg

From link.

The trouble with "white" nationalism in the US, Europe, and even here in Canada is that they are fighting a globalisation battle for the status quo at home and abroad that is like a candle burning at two ends. On the one end visible minorities at home are supposed to be sucking up all the resources and reducing the standard of living of everyone, on the other hand wealthy and middle-class people in the rest of the world are chipping away at the superiority complex by achieving and increasingly out-achieving people and organizations in western countries. It's a difficult and untenable position that I actually have some sympathy for. When Trump speaks to his followers about "Making America Great Again" he's really speaking about White America, a nation state like Japan or Germany that can either embrace diversity or fade into the night. (Germany is trying to embrace diversity and Japan is choosing to fade into the night)

We always think of the US as our giant all powerful, global colossus to the South but the scary world of the future is one where the US really stops mattering as much. What does the US want to stand for in the future where it's less and less relevant? It's a long, drawn out reversion to the mean. I think Trump realizes this and I kind of admire his conviction to try and do something about it; however, his "Make "white" America Great Again" strategy is backing the wrong horse in this fight. The way forward is probably a focus on exceptionalism not harkening back to a past golden era.

Any guesses on how the mid terms are going to turn out?

I'm almost certain that the GOP will keep the House majority, and guarantee they keep the Senate.

I'll stick my neck out. We can all laugh when I'm wrong. Dems take the Senate too. And key governorships. Beto probably loses but it's close. Lots of long GOP faces in the morning.

And I predict if I'm wrong, it'll be in a huge way. As in a full Democratic rout where they lose the House, the Senate and key governorships.

I don't buy the stuff about split victories to be honest. From all that I've seen, people are treating this midterm unlike any other midterm in a long time. Both sides see this as almost an existential threat. And it basically is. If the Democrats lose again, it will be devastating to their identity and proof that Americans agree with Trump. If the GOP loses, it will be a repudiation of Trump and sycophancy supporting him. When the stakes are that high, everyone will want their say. I think of the parties will get both chambers of Congress and key governorships.

Last edited:
Maybe its the reporting that has changed.
I don't recall Obama being blamed for the shooting at Sandy Hook or the shooting at Charleston church. Yet somehow the most pro-Jewish President (perhaps ever), with half his family being Jewish, gets blamed when someone who hates Trump attacks a synagogue.

I have some respect for your views as a conservative. And sympathy for many of them as a moderate. This post made me spit out my coffee in disgust.

You can't be serious. A massive increase in far-right activity to the point that the FBI is calling it out and you resort to the "But he has a Jewish friend..." argument? You can't be serious. I am in the US right now. And there is no doubt the has emboldened the racists. Heck, the racists themselves say that.

The only real good to come out of this is that Americans are finally learning that avoidance only takes them so far. They've denied the role of race in their politics. And Obama gave them the excuse it's not relevant at all. All while one party routinely executes voter suppression strategies aimed at non-whites. Trump has ripped the band-aid off. And now everybody is talking about it.

I am confident America will defeat his cancerous racialized politics. And the GOP will slide into the dustbin of history. This will play out exactly like Pete Wilson did in California. . I really wish people would read up on Pete Wilson. Past is prologue as they say. Great article here:

https://www.vox.com/the-big-idea/20...p-democrats-organize-hispanic-turnout-prop187

California had a lot of the "economic anxiety" the midwest has today. They were also a border state getting flooded with illegals. Demographic change was coming. Pete Wilson campaigned just like Donald Trump today. He even got re-elected. His campaign though, convinced most minorities to never vote for the GOP again. And now the GOP is about to get virtually wiped out in California. No Republican has won statewide office since Schwarzenegger. This from a state which produced two of the GOP's most conservative Presidents in party history: Reagan and Nixon. And was a reliable red state till Bill Clinton. That's right California was as reliably Republican as Texas is today from the 60s through the 80s.

Trump is pulling exactly what Pete Wilson did. And he's doing it just as millennials are about to hit regular voting years where they settle down in to careers and families. Ten years from now, the GOP will be cursing Trump for their permanent minority position. And it will be absolutely well deserved. I sincerely hope that Canada's conservatives don't follow them down that path. I'd like to be able to vote for fiscal conservatism occasionally without getting a generous helping of racist schtick with it.

Back