News   Mar 28, 2024
 177     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.9K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.2K     2 

Former President Donald Trump's United States of America

I think a challenge here, and one not unique the U.S. is that people, irrespective of their political leanings have taken a dislike to the status quo.

The middling group and lower-middling group, economically speaking are, at best, stagnating in terms of standard of living; and at worst slipping backwards some.
That can dressed up with cultural this and that; but in the end, its really about "Do I have hope for my future and my kids future."
When the answer is "no", the desire is to elect an agent of change. When that agent of change fails to deliver, the tendency is for ever greater impatience and more extreme choices.

Those with a conservative bent may feel that social change has usurped their status and power in some way; and the system is otherwise 'rigged' against them.
While those who are more progressively inclined may lament a perceived lack of progress on social/economic causes and growing inequality no matter who gets elected.

Biden doesn't read as a disruptor; and as yet doesn't have much to show for raising up those least well off or whose middle-class status has eroded.........

While Trump hardly pretended to be interested in such things; but also made no serious efforts to un-do globalization, or reverse social progress. Yes, he stoked lots of hatred, said foolish things, myriad times;
and periodically signed an Executive Order he knew wouldn't be enforced or would be overturned etc etc.
Which is not to say he did no actual damage, he did, but on the legislative or regulatory front, it was mostly at the margins; the real sin was the fuel-on-the-fire speech, and the wasting of 4 years.

I think the next danger, in the U.S. is left-leaning Americans wondering if Biden has actually changed anything except the rhetoric; while you wonder what will happen when Trump supporters clue in
that he was so much bluster and not on their side either.

Its very dangerous to see a society slide towards a total lack of faith in its institutions.
I think the U.S. is closing in on that. Biden needs some material policy changes to get through (whether he wants that or not) to at least sate the left; since there's little he can or will do to sate the right.

Note that this same phenomenon exists in the U.K, and in France and elsewhere; as people turn away from traditional-type leaders and parties in search of someone who will do something........to make it better.

Very dangerous ground, fertile space for would-be dictators, for violence and worse.

I don't wish to be hyperbolic; I don't think we or they are there yet.............but leaders who actually solve problems in ways that satisfy a majority and offend relatively few are very much in need.

Last edited:
It's not just harris who's the problem. People have incredibly short memory spans. Remember Trump got the second most votes of any US president ever this past election and far more than when he won in 2016. It just happened that biden got the most of all time. The people who voted for trump will be itching to see Biden go and should still come out in droves, but those who came out specifically to vote against trump this past election will likely get complacent with 4 years of Biden.

Also some of the vote that was formerly Republican but anti trump that flipped to biden simply to oust trump will likely flip back, since while I personally biden has done just a fine job many Americans seem unimpressed with him, even within his own party (maybe he's too conservative for the dems and too liberal for Republicans?)

Either way he's gonna be in trouble after 4 years even if he is the one running and the dems dont prop up a more radical canadidate. I am not looking forward to the next election.
The problem for the Dems is that vilify and insult those who don't share their progressive, big government left-wing agenda. The same can be said for the Reps, but their voters can be relied on to turn up. The Dems need to cast a wide net and appeal to more than just their progressive base.

The problem for the Dems is that vilify and insult those who don't share their progressive, big government left-wing agenda. The same can be said for the Reps, but their voters can be relied on to turn up. The Dems need to cast a wide net and appeal to more than just their progressive base.
Generally speaking trump also still has a stranglehold on the Republican party. How or why I honestly cant fathom, it makes no sense to me, but he does. So at least Republicans who are running for office are generally united under general Trumpian policy.

Biden on the other hand does not have much control over the democratic party, so the infighting is much more obvious and will continue to grow as the more radical left wing Democrats clash with the more moderate ones.

Having a more diverse range of views in your party is important when you can respect one another and disagree, but in this current political climate where dissenting opinions are immediately attacked and cast out, it serves to the Republicans advantage that the party has mostly been purged of members who dont support trump and is thus largely unified.

Edit: and I say this as someone who has no desire for a second trump term. Unfortunately its just the reality and I find it rather scary.

236572075_5413333962092947_925272153526784793_n.jpg
From link.

Which scientist? As much as I think Trump is a flaming pile of dog turd ... Occupy Democrats is a poor source, and a name would allow me to search it up.

^ Interesting post (well, from my perspective anyway). Not exactly sure what it has to do with the thread topic. From what I understand, the cop was wrong on the International Driver's Licence thing. I didn't catch where the vehicle was registered by, regardless, it is federal law that I doubt state or municipal authorities are empowered to enforce, let alone know the complexities of.

Still he's in the news...

Virginia lobbyists accused of misleading Black voters fined $5 million

From link.

Two Virginia lobbyists accused of trying to inhibit Black voters during the 2020 presidential election have been fined $5 million by federal regulators for illegally sending robocalls.

An investigation by the Federal Communications Commission found that John Burkman and Jacob Wohl paid a separate company to place more than 1,100 recorded robocalls in August and September of last year. The two admitted to arranging the calls, which the FCC said violated the Telephone Consumer Protection Act.

Prosecutors in Michigan, New York and Ohio indicted Burkman and Wohl last year for allegedly seeking to intimidate Black voters in Cleveland, Detroit and New York City.
"The recorded messages told potential voters that if they voted by mail, their personal information will be part of a public database that will be used by police departments to track down old warrants and be used by credit card companies to collect outstanding debts," the FCC said Tuesday in a statement.

The FCC's enforcement bureau must approve the proposed $5.1 million fine after first allowing Burkman and Wohl the opportunity to respond. The pair are now facing the largest fine ever issued under the Telephone act.

Burkman and Wohl did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Consumer complaints spur federal probe​

Burkman and Wohl, consultants who work for J.M. Burkman & Associates in Arlington, offer robocalling and other political services through their company under the name "Project 1599," the FCC said. Cellphone users began complaining about robocalls from Burkman & Associates last September, prompting federal regulators to investigate.

In Ohio, Cuyahoga County authorities said Burkman and Wohl sent pre-recorded messages that falsely warned people that by voting by mail their information would show up in databases for law enforcement, collection agencies and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Burkman and Wohl were charged with eight counts of telecommunications fraud and seven counts of bribery. The case is still pending.
The National Coalition on Black Civic Participation sued J.M. Burkman & Associates last year for the robocalling activity, alleging that Burkman and Wohl were purposely trying to spread disinformation to voters nationwide. A U.S. District Court judge agreed and ordered the men to resend a robocall that told callers that the previous robocall "contained false information that has had the effect of intimidating voters."

The rising volume of robocalls has become a nationwide issue in recent years, as scammers use the method to bilk billions of dollars from Americans.

The makers of call-blocking app YouMail said Americans received about 4.2 billion robocalls in July — putting the number back at pre-pandemic levels. Consumers are on pace to receive roughly 52 million robocalls this year, up from 40 billion in 2018, YouMail said.

As robocalls rise, Acting FCC Chairwoman Jessica Rosenworcel said the commission will put more pressure on wireless carriers to prevent unwanted calls. Companies like T-Mobile and Verizon play a major role in lowering robocalls, she said earlier this summer.

"What that means is, when a call is being made, a carrier can tell that it really is the person who they say they are on the line," Rosenworcel said

Kyle Rittenhouse Met With Trump at Mar-a-Lago Because of Course He Did

From link.

Former President Donald Trump met with Kyle Rittenhouse, the teen acquitted of murder in a highly-publicized trial last week. Rittenhouse visited Trump at his Mar-a-Lago estate in Florida.

During an interview that aired on Sean Hannity’s Fox News program Tuesday, Trump said Rittenhouse had just left, but had been the one to request the meeting: “He called. He wanted to know if he could come over, say hello, because he was a fan.” Hannity noted that the interview took place Monday.

Hannity’s producers threw up a photo of Trump and Rittenhouse, which was later posted to Instagram by Trump’s son, Donald Trump Jr. (The former president has been banned from all major social media platforms since the deadly riot at the Capitol on Jan. 6.)

“Have a great early Thanksgiving America,” read the younger Trump’s caption.

Rittenhouse was found not guilty on all five counts against him Friday. The teen appeared emotional as the jury read its verdict. Rittenhouse stood accused of murder after shooting three people and killing two of them at a police brutality protest in Kenosha, Wisconsin, in August 2020.

Rittenhouse’s defense team argued that he opened fired in self-defense, while the prosecution said the Illinois teen took a semi-automatic rifle across state lines looking for trouble during protests sparked by the police shooting of Jacob Blake.

The trial and acquittal have been major news for days. There were swift reactions online to Rittenhouse’s visit with the former president.

“Back in the day, people who had achieved great things would visit the President at the White House.But now, in the upside down, MAGA maniacs worship a murderer, who makes a pilgrimage to Mar-A-Lago to visit the twice-impeached riot inciter with Kim Jong-Un on his wall,” fumed one anti-Trump activist.

Director Rob Reiner wrote, “An underaged kid illegally takes an assault rifle across state lines, kills two people, injures another, then is welcomed with open arms at Mar-a-Lago by the leader of the Republican Party, a mentally ill Racist. This is where we are. God help US.”
1637771292472.png

• Trump published a statement on Saturday in a bid to push his election-fraud claims.
  • But the statement was grammatically confusing and he inadvertently called his followers stupid.
  • He wrote: "Anybody that doesn't think there wasn't massive election fraud in the 2020 presidential election is either very stupid, or very corrupt!"
From link.

Former President Donald Trump published a grammatically confusing statement that inadvertently insulted those who believe his 2020 election-fraud claims.

"Anybody that doesn't think there wasn't massive election fraud in the 2020 presidential election is either very stupid, or very corrupt!" he said in a Saturday statement.

Critics pounced on the error, pointing out that the former president had used a double negative and ended up insulting those who espoused his claim that the 2020 election was stolen from him, rather than those who rejected them.

Investigators and experts have found no widespread fraud in the 2020 election — which Trump lost to President Joe Biden — but Trump has continued to relentlessly push the claim as he stirs rumors of another bid for the presidency.
"He finally conceded …" tweeted Jonathan Karl, an ABC News correspondent and author of a recent book about Trump's final months as president, during which he refused to conceded defeat.

"This is, accidentally, Trump's first ever accurate statement on the legitimacy of the 2020 election," tweeted the CNN fact-checker Daniel Dale.
Democratic Rep. Eric Swalwell also tweeted: "I agree with the former President."

Before Twitter banned Trump in the wake of the Capitol riot, Trump's messages were often notable for their spelling errors and grammatical quirks.

They were such a distinctive part of his messages that, according to reports, White House staffers who ghost wrote his tweets often tried to replicate his errors to make the messages seem more authentic.

Since his social-media ban, Trump has been disseminating short statements to his followers via email.

Back