1.5K     1 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 594     1 

Former President Donald Trump's United States of America

TMW2016-10-12color.png

From link.

Well, time to nuke dairy in Wisconsin.

AoD
No. It's just Trump being desperate in the face of real, impending doom. In three months the world may well be rid of this clown.

We should absolutely play hardball. He needs Wisconsin to win. We need to make him choose between Ohio and Wisconsin.

Meanwhile, Trump said that he's going to ban TikTok on September 15, 2020, if a major American tech company doesn't buy it by then. Trump really wants Microsoft to purchase TikTok (well, TikTok in the United States, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand) and have some of the money go to the American government.

Trump condones large-scale censorship for patriotic reasons.
Update:

Trump will also ban WeChat if an American company can't buy North American rights to it before September 15, 2020:

Again, it's for patriotic reasons, just like with TikTok.

Note that he's targeting Chinese social media companies.

Though neither are American, LINE (Japan; parent company is South Korean) and Telegram (United Kingdom and United Arab Emirates) will not be banned by Trump.

Last edited:
Isn't it horrifying that we have come to this? I remember watching scifi and wondering how those societies got so damaged, now I know a slow drip of delusion and paranoia. The Christians don't seem to remember their bible, the fallen one whispers in your ear, tells you what you want to hear, makes promises and calls you friend. An election is not about what can you do for me it's about governance and the path to a decent society. Selfishness, dishonesty and petty abuse are not attractive qualities in a candidate but the yanks seem to like it.

So as not to start another thread for this, I'll just put this here, as U.S. news:

The Louisiana Supreme Court upheld a man's life sentenced for attempting to steal hedge clippers.

The sentence was imposed (in 1997) under a habitual offender law. The most serious crime of which he had ever been convicted was attempted armed robbery, and no subsequent offenses were violent.

He's already been in jail 23 years.........and is now in his 60s.

So as not to start another thread for this, I'll just put this here, as U.S. news:

The Louisiana Supreme Court upheld a man's life sentenced for attempting to steal hedge clippers.

The sentence was imposed (in 1997) under a habitual offender law. The most serious crime of which he had ever been convicted was attempted armed robbery, and no subsequent offenses were violent.

He's already been in jail 23 years.........and is now in his 60s.
Apparently in Lousiana, hedge clippers are dangerous when African Americans wield them. After all, they are very large scissors capable of decapitation.

How unfortunate. Hedge clippers are a tool used to clip hedges, regardless of ethnicity. African Americans are no different from any other ethnic group when it comes to handling hedge clippers.

Isn't it horrifying that we have come to this? I remember watching scifi and wondering how those societies got so damaged, now I know a slow drip of delusion and paranoia. The Christians don't seem to remember their bible, the fallen one whispers in your ear, tells you what you want to hear, makes promises and calls you friend. An election is not about what can you do for me it's about governance and the path to a decent society. Selfishness, dishonesty and petty abuse are not attractive qualities in a candidate but the yanks seem to like it.
Some do, but not the majority. That's the most important thing to remember at this moment.

Some do, but not the majority. That's the most important thing to remember at this moment.
All in all, this is a long-term legacy of colonial times, when European empires used their N American colonies as "dumpsters for the unwanted", so to speak (sort of like the penal-colony mythology attached to Australia). So a lot of this is the byproduct of what might be uncharitably labelled garbage lineage that was left to fester through the centuries unchecked. (At least I acknowledge that the label is uncharitable.)

Coronavirus: Last-ditch talks on new aid package for US economy fail

Aug 8, 2020

Last-ditch negotiations at the US Congress to forge another stimulus package for the coronavirus-ravaged economy have collapsed in stalemate.

Democrats and Republicans remain at odds over everything from unemployment benefits to financial aid for schools to cash injections for states' coffers.

The US unemployment rate stands at 10.2%, higher than any level during the 2008 financial crisis.

Jobless benefits have expired, as has a federal moratorium on evictions.

The failure to reach a deal will disappoint tens of millions of unemployed Americans who had been receiving an extra $600 (£450) a week on top of normal unemployment benefits during the pandemic. That payment expired last month and Republicans want to reduce it.

A piece from Rolling Stone that discusses Covid and the decline of the American Empire.

I agree with the gist, though I think the author over-sells Canada and over simplifies many things in pursuit of a narrative.

Still an interesting read, and if one can stomach it, the comments are somewhat................err..........interesting too.

Back