News   Jul 09, 2024
 837     1 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 1.7K     3 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 623     0 

Finch West Line 6 LRT

Fare prices is probably the dumbest reason to build infrastructure. You don't solve fare problems by building busways in hydro corridors, you solve fare problems by changing fare policy.

If it makes you any happier, then pretend that the 407 transitway is run by Brampton transit. or York, or a magical rainbow bus with feather filled seats and six entry-exit doors and a 25 cent fare. Honestly, that's more likely to happen than your hydro corridor bus.

Your single-door nonsense is a redherring, and has NOTHING to do with whether the bus runs along Finch or along 407.

"it'd still take close to 10 minutes to backtrack from Langstaff Stn to Finch Stn"

Is the Yonge-Finch intersection now the centre of the universe? There's really not that many people heading from Brampton to Yonge-Finch, who wouldn't be better served by improved GO trains on the rail corridor. Finch hydro corridor doesn't even go into Brampton, so I don't know how your bus will serve them with any kind of speed, anyways.

OK. The numbers are Finch West 42,600 per day. Sheppard East 28,300 per day. Scarborough Rocket 8,200 per day. Scarborough RT 43,770. What do you read into this?

How is 42,600 passengers stretched over nearly 17 kms comparable to 43,770 contained within a mere 6.4 kms? That assumes the 36 hourly carries 1331pphpd or only 78 people per kilometre compared to 1368pphpd or 214 people per kilometre for the SRT. Take into consideration also how much less commuters will travel all the way across to Yonge St after the completion of the Finch-Keele subway stop if ones end destination is south-of-Bloor. This is why it makes far greater sense to promote Finch/FH.C. as a regional express service route vs. trying too earnestly to cater to both local/long-haul needs at the same time. The ridership base for BRT in a reserved exclusive ROW will attract more customers to switch off their local routes because of the promise of greater speeds and more reliable scheduling. The public only need reminding of the poor preformance of the downtown streetcar routes to heed caution at Transit City's alledged average speed/commute times. And neighbouring transit operators could also make use of bus-only corridors further integrating and synergizing the network.

Where the 85 and 190 overlap is the most densely populated sector of Sheppard East. And surely riders of insecting N-S bus routes en route would have greater incentive to switch onto a high-capacity rapid service that directly connects them to major nodes (SCC, Centennial College, and/or Malvern Town Centre) rather than just border those areas and enforcing another needless transfer to complete one's trip. When it is feasible to aspire for better we should. East of Neilson service is not as high a priority, only the TTC seems justified in overserving a handful of riders.

Fare prices is probably the dumbest reason to build infrastructure. You don't solve fare problems by building busways in hydro corridors, you solve fare problems by changing fare policy.

You're acting like the F.H.C. would be catering only to a select or minimal number of user markets. It's the promise of a true crosstown rapid transit line north of the 401, that takes less time to complete and costs less than either LRT or HRT. BT, MT and YRT routes could utilize sections. As could GO Transit where applicable. And for local TTC operations a seamless line from Malvern Town Centre via Belleville Sub to Weston Rd in the F.H.C., then directly along Finch/HC Blvd to HC; where it can go on to connect to the Eglinton and B-D lines via the 27/427. That entire trip end-to-end would be covered under the one fare. Attempting the same journey today involves at least 3 transfers and over 2hr elapsed time one-way.

Besides how do you propose we convince the TTC to integrate with GO when it's already been forced to raise fares to recoup its loses? The fare tariff generates millions it won't so easily want to relinquish.

If it makes you any happier, then pretend that the 407 transitway is run by Brampton transit. or York, or a magical rainbow bus with feather filled seats and six entry-exit doors and a 25 cent fare. Honestly, that's more likely to happen than your hydro corridor bus.

Yes, I know its a long-shot, but someone has to be the voice of BRT for Toronto when rail projects are not only too costly but generate only minimal gains over the local buses they aim to replace. $0.25 fares? Ha!

Your single-door nonsense is a redherring, and has NOTHING to do with whether the bus runs along Finch or along 407.

It's relevant when you have made claims here that Bramalea to Langstaff will only take 20 minutes. Decelerating and making a stopover en route critically challenges your belief.

Is the Yonge-Finch intersection now the centre of the universe? There's really not that many people heading from Brampton to Yonge-Finch, who wouldn't be better served by improved GO trains on the rail corridor. Finch hydro corridor doesn't even go into Brampton, so I don't know how your bus will serve them with any kind of speed, anyways.

NYCC is not a major employment centre now? If you know there's not high enough demand for Brampton-NYCC, then certainly so too does GO Transit and thus they will not invest in operating better than once an hour service outside of peak, currently peak-hour one-way service only. Finch/F.H.C. BRT could run 24 trips per hour per direction and given the larger market there's incentive to keep at those frequency levels. And I did just explain how Zum along Steeles seamlessly connects Bramalea GO to HC above.

I've been watching these threads for some time now, and I'm starting to get a bit annoyed at the bad ideas that keep coming up.

I don't think people proposing the FHC BRT understand the ridership dynamics. The FHC proposal will NOT divert substantial numbers of people off Finch. It would generate a fair amount of NEW ridership (this is not what you're proposing it for) but the diversionary effect would be pretty small. Why?

People are lazy. They don't like to go out of their way even if it saves a few minutes. If they did, then why is route 139 one of the few that doesn't run outside of rush hour even after they improved it last year? Yes, people west Dufferin will have a faster ride to the subway but how many will trek out of their way?

Finch is itself an intensely local route, as well as a crosstown one. Keele to Yonge will be faster, but what if you're going to Senlac? Will your BRT stop at Grantbrook (the side street that extends north of there?) ? If it does, it slows down the line and takes away from its sole advantage. If it doesn't, then the BRT provides NOTHING to that entire concession block.

For that matter, how will the BRT handle Grantbrook? Grade-separated? You're gonna need a whole lot more than $10M/km if that's the plan. At-grade intersection? Slow it down. Close Grantbrook? That'll be even less popular than the U-turn-right-turn replacing direct lefts proposals.

Now, how "local" is Finch? Well, at 43000 ppd, it's total 24 hour average ridership exceeds the absolute peak capacity substantially. 23 buses per hour is a crush-load capacity of around 1400-1500 ppphpd. 43,000/24 is 1800. In fact peak hour ridership in the AM rush is typically 8-10% of total- ballpark, 3500 or so -over twice installed capacity. Over half the traffic is NOT bound for the subway, it can't be. How does the BRT help this traffic? How much of it could easily be intercepted by BRT stations on concessions (almost entirely transfer traffic due to the lack of substantial traffic generators along the FHC - again, people wont' walk off Finch to save three minutes) and how much of it is walk in from near Finch itself (and thus unlikely to be intercepted)? How do on peak and off-peak flows vary in origin/destination pairs?

The reality is, the FHC is not really a viable alternative to Finch itself. The BRT is not going to divert a whole lot of people off Finch. It may well gain new riders, but that's not what you're trying to sell it as. Finch itself will continue to be a route plagued by the difficulties in running a bus service near its maximum capacity. The "residual local service" will still be one of the busiest routes in the system- unless you try to "force" ridership onto the BRT, as they did on Sheppard. This is a strategy of questionable value; the distance to the FHC adds a lot of time over a similar midblock walk on Sheppard, and it's questionable whether people would be willing to hike as far to a glorified bus as to the subway.

Any improvements need to be on Finch itself. When you're talking about the sort of capacities you're thinking of for BRT it starts to get more expensive than you think. Put in trolley buses and associated electrical infrastructure (I think that would be the only way you'd be able to sell it) and the only savings is the cost of the rails themselves, which is minimal.

The LRT is a dramatic improvement over what exists today. Your BRT proposal shortchanges North York in favour of building subways in a totally different part of the city. They're already facing an enormous fight over cutting local stops on Finch as is, and your BRT will never fly if only for that reason. It benefits few and the traffic will stay on Finch. And they will need to do something about capacity constraints. When you do the cost:benefit analysis for this part of town, the LRT is the clear winner.

To be clear, the problem I have is trying to sell the BRT as a substitute for the LRT . It is not.

It's going to be built. It's a great idea, it'll improve transit in this part of the city dramatically, and I look forward to riding it.

BRT = $10 million/km

You like this number a lot. Let's compare it to how much it's costing to put in BRT in York Region. York Region has very wide roads, so property acquisition requirements are minimal.

Funding for Phase 1 of VivaNext Rapidways = $1.4 billion

Highway 7 Phase 1 is ~27.5 kilometres
Yonge Phase 1 is ~8.4 kilometres
Newmarket Phase 1 is ~6.4 kilometres

BRT = $33 million/km

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but that's without fleet acquisition, garage construction, or underground stations. If you factor those in, BRT costs exactly the same as LRT.

It would be slightly cheaper to run BRT down the hydro corridor rather than the street, but then it would also be slightly cheaper to run LRT there. Whether we use LRT or BRT and whether the route follows Finch or FHC are entirely different questions. LRT and BRT cost exactly the same.

You like this number a lot. Let's compare it to how much it's costing to put in BRT in York Region. York Region has very wide roads, so property acquisition requirements are minimal.

BRT = $33 million/km

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but that's without fleet acquisition, garage construction, or underground stations. If you factor those in, BRT costs exactly the same as LRT.

It would be slightly cheaper to run BRT down the hydro corridor rather than the street, but then it would also be slightly cheaper to run LRT there. Whether we use LRT or BRT and whether the route follows Finch or FHC are entirely different questions. LRT and BRT cost exactly the same.

If we are looking for the cost of building a BRT in the Finch Hydro corridor, how about looking at the BRT that we built in the Finch Hydro corridor? It cost about 40 million, for 2km of Hydro corridor busway and 1km of Busway within York University, and a new entrance into Downsview Station.

That works out to 13 million per kilometer of busway. However, this proves that we can't simply say "BRT costs 10million/km" or LRT costs 40million/km. The costs vary enormously, depending on the situation.

According to your statistics, the Viva Rapidways cost over twice as much per km than the Hydro Corridor Busway. My guess as to why, is that they plan to complete redo the roads, because they have to completely tear it up to put in the median bus lanes. They will likely do beautification, road widening, bike lanes, sidewalk widening, and all sorts of other miscellaneous stuff.

Logically, LRT would cost significantly less if built in the hydro corridor as well. For one, we could use ballasted tie construction, instead of concrete. I am also not entirely sure why building LRT in the hydro corridor is any more expensive than building BRT in the Hydro corridor. The only difference that I'm aware of is that one involves paving a road, and the other involves laying rails and ties.

Logically, LRT would cost significantly less if built in the hydro corridor as well. For one, we could use ballasted tie construction, instead of concrete. I am also not entirely sure why building LRT in the hydro corridor is any more expensive than building BRT in the Hydro corridor. The only difference that I'm aware of is that one involves paving a road, and the other involves laying rails and ties.
I was going to point this out and add in the fact that it'd probably attract a sizably larger number of people than BRT. Something like GO ALRT would be great, done in segments; a first segment from Weston to Yonge, fixing most of the Finch West LRT's problems, then from Weston to Pearson and Yonge to Malvern. Since it would be no more expensive, or at least just marginally more expensive, than BRT, we should be building rail unless there's a huge, fantastic reason for a transitway.

Maybe it could even go to MCC or Oakville as per the original ALRT plans. A Finch West LRT could be looked at after that. I think it still has potential, especially if the Hydro Corridor logically stops at regional locations (Jane/400, York U, Finch,) there will still be demand for a local route, something that either BRT or LRT will still be needed and will have the capacity to fill. But what some sort of regional route on the FHC provides is increasing the quick/regional network, while providing the relief to the system that LRT is supposed to provide. Killing 2 birds with one stone, which is why I think it should be done, or at least looked into first.

Would it actually be that fast, though? It still has to deal with a lot of intersections. Almost as many as Finch Avenue itself.

Would it actually be that fast, though? It still has to deal with a lot of intersections. Almost as many as Finch Avenue itself.

Yes, it would have quite a few intersections, but hopefully we could have an overpass or underpass for major intersections. However, even if these are not present, intersections would slow down the bus/LRV less than if it was in a median. With the median design, there are left turns to deal with, which take up time in the light cycle. With a separate intersection of just a transit ROW and a road, the intersection can be much simpler, allowing for more effective transit-priority signaling, since you don't have to worry about allowing enough time for through or left-turning traffic, since there isn't any.

Yes, it would have quite a few intersections, but hopefully we could have an overpass or underpass for major intersections. However, even if these are not present, intersections would slow down the bus/LRV less than if it was in a median. With the median design, there are left turns to deal with, which take up time in the light cycle. With a separate intersection of just a transit ROW and a road, the intersection can be much simpler, allowing for more effective transit-priority signaling, since you don't have to worry about allowing enough time for through or left-turning traffic, since there isn't any.

Hmm, an over or under-pass. Where would the station be then? If it's before the incline starts, then the station will be even more out of the way. Might have to build an underground station beneath the intersecting roadway, I guess?

Hmm, an over or under-pass. Where would the station be then? If it's before the incline starts, then the station will be even more out of the way. Might have to build an underground station beneath the intersecting roadway, I guess?
Yes, but I think that even then, it'd be cost-competitive with LRT. There aren't a huge number of streets that run through the corridor, and I'm sure most of them could either a) get an underpass/overpass depending on size, b) be closed down, depending on size, or c) have an advanced signaling system for busses/trains when coming through. eg. full traffic priority. But people definitely won't care as much, because it'll be on streets off Finch.

The biggest pro to using the hydro corridor is actually vehicle speed. There's no way that a LRT or bus even running in a street ROW could get over 80km/h. Depending on the part of the road, i.e. on how urban it is, that could be lowered to 60 km/h to make sure it's safe. But vehicles running in the hydro corridor could run at highway speeds with busses, and faster if they used more advanced trains and well-build tracks.

If it uses rail, it could easily be sold as a new metro system for the city. BRT would be harder, but it could probably be pulled off, and would definitely divert almost all the riders off Finch who are headed for Spadina or Yonge ( probably 90% of the riders.) Rail would probably see the most ridership growth though, and it has the most capacity for ridership growth, which could well be warranted if it's extended to Malvern and Pearson.

It would never be considered a replacement for transit on Finch Avenue, so please stop acting like it would. Anybody who lives on the south side of Finch will not be happy that their stop has moved half a kilometre north, or in the east end, over a kilometre north.

But vehicles running in the hydro corridor could run at highway speeds with busses, and faster if they used more advanced trains and well-build tracks.
Maybe in the industrial areas, but the residential areas which run along peoples backyards and near neighbourhood streets will have speed restricted by noise and safety concerns.

Last edited:

BRT = $33 million/km

Um, you may want to re-think that last statement. If you’re going to cite case studies from the GTA, at least do so with less of a rail-fanboy bias. York Region/YRT is as guilty as the TTC when it comes to overspending on should be basic transit service improvements. Look at Mississauga Transit, building 18kms of new BRT ROW for $259 million which breaks down to $14.38 million/km. Or Brampton Transit which is building 35 kilometres of new BRT ROW for only $285 million or $8.14 million/km. And by the way, those expenses will cover all of the following: roadway infrastructure, intersection modifications, signal priority equipment, new terminals and stations with high quality passenger amenities, new vehicles, Intelligent Transportation System technologies including real-time passenger information. $10 million/km is only a mean average. You’d be shocked at how many cities worldwide can make do with the equivalent of only CAD $6 million/km and their systems are state of the art.

I've been watching these threads for some time now, and I'm starting to get a bit annoyed at the bad ideas that keep coming up.

Bad ideas from who, Steve Munro? Adam Giambrone? Howard Moscoe, George Smitherman, Metrolinx, YRT/VIVA, Mississauga Transit, Brampton Transit, Durham Transit and GO Transit, among several other city councillors have all expressed interest in developing the F.H.C. into a priority transit corridor. Only the shortsightedness of the TTC brass cannot figure out how building this transit corridor would actually reduce the total number of drivers/vehicles needed to service the area over time.

I don't think people proposing the FHC BRT understand the ridership dynamics. The FHC proposal will NOT divert substantial numbers of people off Finch. It would generate a fair amount of NEW ridership (this is not what you're proposing it for) but the diversionary effect would be pretty small. Why?

People are lazy. They don't like to go out of their way even if it saves a few minutes.

If people are willing to walk up to a kilometre in order to access a subway stop, I see no harm in walking 3 minutes north of Finch proper to a F.H.C. station. The gutting of local stops along Finch, which the implementation of FWLRT promises to do, will result in equal or even longer walking distances than that for many customers.

Finch is itself an intensely local route, as well as a crosstown one. Keele to Yonge will be faster, but what if you're going to Senlac? Will your BRT stop at Grantbrook (the side street that extends north of there?) ? If it does, it slows down the line and takes away from its sole advantage. If it doesn't, then the BRT provides NOTHING to that entire concession block.

You understand the concept of operating local and limited-stopping service right? Some buses will bypass minor intersections in peak hour (not surprisingly, long-hauler routes from Scarborough today such as the 39E and 95E bypass the area from Don Mills to Yonge on their routings), others won’t. Grantbrook (and Talbot) will have stations to serve the area from Bathurst to Yonge. Likewise a “Torresdale” stop would exist. The 104 provides regular service along Finch west of here running into the F.H.C. at Dufferin. Sentinel and Tobermory get stops. The stop spacings of the on-street busway through Etobicoke are roughly the same as what would be the FWLRT’s (except separate stations for Silverstone and Albion is probably overkill).

For that matter, how will the BRT handle Grantbrook? Grade-separated? You're gonna need a whole lot more than $10M/km if that's the plan. At-grade intersection? Slow it down. Close Grantbrook? That'll be even less popular than the U-turn-right-turn replacing direct lefts proposals.

Lighted intersection would work. BRTs come with transit signal priority, same as LRT. Overpasses/underpasses are needed for some sections but not the entire length of the ROW.

Now, how "local" is Finch? Well, at 43000 ppd, it's total 24 hour average ridership exceeds the absolute peak capacity substantially. 23 buses per hour is a crush-load capacity of around 1400-1500 ppphpd. 43,000/24 is 1800. In fact peak hour ridership in the AM rush is typically 8-10% of total- ballpark, 3500 or so -over twice installed capacity. Over half the traffic is NOT bound for the subway, it can't be.

How many riders of the 36 bus do you think actually are starting and ending their trip along Finch itself?

How does the BRT help this traffic? How much of it could easily be intercepted by BRT stations on concessions (almost entirely transfer traffic due to the lack of substantial traffic generators along the FHC - again, people wont' walk off Finch to save three minutes) and how much of it is walk in from near Finch itself (and thus unlikely to be intercepted)? How do on peak and off-peak flows vary in origin/destination pairs?

Considering a lot of that density/trip generation stems from the north side of Finch, even a block north of it in places, many will find the F.H.C. is more convenient to use.

The reality is, the FHC is not really a viable alternative to Finch itself. The BRT is not going to divert a whole lot of people off Finch. It may well gain new riders, but that's not what you're trying to sell it as. Finch itself will continue to be a route plagued by the difficulties in running a bus service near its maximum capacity. The "residual local service" will still be one of the busiest routes in the system- unless you try to "force" ridership onto the BRT, as they did on Sheppard. This is a strategy of questionable value; the distance to the FHC adds a lot of time over a similar midblock walk on Sheppard, and it's questionable whether people would be willing to hike as far to a glorified bus as to the subway.

Except that it’s not just a glorified bus. This mentality is precisely why 25 years from now half the city will be scratching their heads, bewildered as to why they still have to endure several transfer points to complete a one-way commute, often along routes whose scheduling are out of sync. That’s the railfan delusion in action, while little of it can live up to the hype. There’s absolutely nothing along Finch itself that the FWLRT could serve better than a F.H.C. BRT. Now here's some reality for you. The Mississauga BRT system is only part of a Greater Toronto Area-wide GO Transit initiative to create a high-efficiency east-west busway which will span from Oakville to Pickering. See Page 4 of http://www.mississauga.ca/file/COM/AprilPICPanels.pdf. As you will notice beyond Mississauga’s 18km stretch of busway the line continues within the F.H.C. as far as York Univeristy before heading up into York Region. So with the preexisting stretch from Keele to Dufferin, only 4 additional kilometres of the F.H.C. will need expropriating for the complete MCC-NYCC trek to be complete. And much of that is taken up by the Reservoir which can be bridged over.

It doesn’t take much therefore to build dedicated bus lanes along Finch proper for the 4kms over to Martin Grove from Weston Rd, followed by a brief elevated section overhead Humber College Blvd into the campus (this alignment at least provides a local stop to the hospital). The fact that both local and regional express routes could share operation within the F.H.C. corridor makes it very lucrative in alleviating a number of commuting issues. And the peak one way demand (which is always the measure of built capacity for transit) is 20,000 per hour for commuters driving along the 401 from Peel to Durham. Let’s assume 6 000 car trips are diverted from the 401, 1000 diverted car trips from other routes, and rush hour peak ridership of 3 000 approximately for a hydro corridor busway (based on usage of the 36). This amounts to 10,000pphpd. Add in 3% growth over 10 years and peak ridership is at about 13,500 already – well into subway capacity range. So the FWLRT’s forecast of only 2800pphpd is an embarrassment for the stipulated $1.2 billion dollar pricetag. Far more mileage can be eked out of that number building BRT ROWs instead.

Any improvements need to be on Finch itself. When you're talking about the sort of capacities you're thinking of for BRT it starts to get more expensive than you think. Put in trolley buses and associated electrical infrastructure (I think that would be the only way you'd be able to sell it) and the only savings is the cost of the rails themselves, which is minimal.

Trolley buses are not needed, but if they were, the wisest thing to do is build up demand for a service first before expanding it. The only reason Finch West sees so many customers today is because of alternate options for Rexdalians and Jane-Finchers whom face equally long and complicated commutes to get to the Bloor-Danforth when they're destined for the downtown core anyway. The TYSSE line will nullify much of FWLRT's ridership off the bat, and long-haulers from 905 West will have little incentive to transfer onto it, if it's slow. An hour from Humber College to Yonge is just that.

The LRT is a dramatic improvement over what exists today. Your BRT proposal shortchanges North York in favour of building subways in a totally different part of the city. They're already facing an enormous fight over cutting local stops on Finch as is, and your BRT will never fly if only for that reason. It benefits few and the traffic will stay on Finch. And they will need to do something about capacity constraints.

Lol, spending 90 minutes on the LRT vs. a mere 45 on the BRT is shortchanging North York? By the way, all those local stops on Finch proper would stay in tact via using a separate corridor for the rapid service. Those who want to wait on the 36 bus are free to do so. Everyone else uses the F.H.C. Win/win.

It's a great idea, it'll improve transit in this part of the city dramatically, and I look forward to riding it. When you do the cost:benefit analysis for this part of town, the LRT is the clear winner.

For a mere 1331pphpd daily along Finch West, not likely. I could go to explain that post Spadina extension, post GO Intercity BRT (which is going to be built in the F.H.C., whether you like it or not), post Eglinton “subway”, post Georgetown corridor revamp, post Bolton GO with Emery stop and improvements to N-S feeder lines which defeats the whole crosstown purpose; that it will only be a marginal few that’ll ever have need for the FWLRT end to end service. But since you’re so convinced that it’s still warranted in spite of all that and a good use of scarce funding, I leave you to your brainwas… er, indoctrina... er, following.

It would never be considered a replacement for transit on Finch Avenue, so please stop acting like it would. Anybody who lives on the south side of Finch will not be happy that their stop has moved half a kilometre north, or in the east end, over a kilometre north.

Maybe in the industrial areas, but the residential areas which run along peoples backyards and near neighbourhood streets will have speed restricted by noise and safety concerns.
Did I ever say that it would replace local service on Finch? I said that it would probably alleviate Finch enough for a LRT to be redundant for now. Anyone coming from between Jane and Highway 27, heading for the YUS (mind you, that's a lot of people,) would be taking this. Maybe a Finch LRT would make sense if the local service is still needed, but I'm guessing that'll be at least 10 years after the corridor's relieved by an express FHC route.

In residential areas, simple noise-screening devices could be put in place. Depending on how they build it, there might still be room for parks or other areas beside the tracks. It'd basically be a big box in the corridor, providing lightning fast transit to those who want it. If they can run 320 km/h rail lines through small European towns, we could certainly run 160 km/h rail lines through a similarly sized but several times more urbanized corridor.

Back