News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 399     0 

Finch West Line 6 LRT

No mention on what the traffic signal sequence will be. Will the current 3-way phase continue? Southbound Roncesvalles, northbound King Street West, and eastbound The Queensway/westbound Queen Street West? Or some other setup? Advanced left turns for single-occupant automobiles over the streetcars or real transit priority for the streetcars?
I hope your right this area could use a boost. The two BIA's (Duke Heights and Emery Village) on the corridor should have their streetscape designs that "exceed current city standards" so I hope they don't cheap out on it. It'll be interesting to see each neighbourhood have it's own identity compared to the Highway 7 BRT which kind of looks the same all throughout (although at least it looks quite nice).

https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2016/ex/bgrd/backgroundfile-90775.pdf

Wonder if their plans include bicycle racks and parking (Oh the horrors!! :eek::eek::eek:)?

Finch will be the first true surface LRT in this city, and will potentially have a revolutionary, transformative effect not only for surface transit in Toronto, but also for the hideous suburban corridor that it will be tasked to makeover.

The corridor itself isn't hideous, it is just a regular street. No decrepit houses, no piles of garbage, nothing looking like an eyesore.

Transit along that corridor is hideous, I agree with that. Too crowded during the peak, and takes too long to get anywhere outside the immediate neighborhood. Light rail will certainly perform better than today's bus.

And the current mayor ran on a Pro-LRT campaign.
The current mayor of Toronto and the PC party ran platforms that were in favour of the new GO stations in Toronto that the PC government has now indefinitely deferred.

Very little certainty yet on any more LRTs any time soon.

The current mayor of Toronto and the PC party ran platforms that were in favour of the new GO stations in Toronto that the PC government has now indefinitely deferred.

Very little certainty yet on any more LRTs any time soon.

Heck, you might as well push the Scarborough Subway Extension into the "indefinitely deferred" category as well, given that the Transport Minister just said that it's too early to speculate on a timetable to build the extension.

Heck, you might as well push the Scarborough Subway Extension into the "indefinitely deferred" category as well, given that the Transport Minister just said that it's too early to speculate on a timetable to build the extension.
I know I did.

It is certainly deferred. Hopefully, not "indefinitely".

I'd agree if the PCs keep their promise to upload the subway.

My guess is though, that this will be another broken promise when they realize the magnitude of spending necessary to just maintain the infrastructure, let alone deal with elevators in all the stations, the new signalling system, platform edge doors ...

TTC certainly doesn't seem to be slowing down on the 1-station extension yet, and if anything is doubling down with putting a 2026 date on the opening, and a 2029 date on the DRL South completion.

My guess is though, that this will be another broken promise when they realize the magnitude of spending necessary to just maintain the infrastructure, let alone deal with elevators in all the stations, the new signalling system, platform edge doors ...

Definitely a possibility, imo. IIRC, the PCs have committed to spending $150 million annually on TTC state of good repair, which is a pittance.

Now I'll mention that we shouldn't take for granted that the Government of Ontario gives a damn about maintaining the TTC in a state of good repair either. The Province uploading the subway and not maintaining it adequately is totally a possibility. Look at what Queen's Park did to the TTC and GO Transit in the 1990s, which decimated transit service in our city and region. And, as our friends in NYC will testify, their state government, who owns the MTA Subways, does the absolute bare minimum with regards to maintenance, which we see reflected in their atrocious service quality. Only a tiny portion of 13 Million Ontarians use the TTC subway, so the government could abdicate their maintenance responsibilities and suffer little electoral harm.

Last edited:

Back