News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 984     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 370     0 

Finch West Line 6 LRT

Is that really an accurate history of what Ford did? My memory was that Ford said on day one in office "Transit City is dead". McGuinty and Wynne said, okay, but only if Council votes to do that. Ford then waited MONTHS to actually bring a motion to Council and when he did, he lost. Council voted in favour of ALL the LRT routes including Scarborough. Then, Stinz flipped and one of the Transit City lines was voted by Council to be a subway. Maybe my memory is fuzzy.

Almost.

Ford Declared Transit City dead, and a motion to bury all of Eglinton LRT, combine it with the Scarb LRT, and build the Sheppard Extension.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/new...-plan-wins-provincial-approval/article583989/

Then council reversed the motion, to reinstate all of Transit City. HOWEVER, some portions of Transit City, the Malvern, Jane, Waterfront, and Eglinton West to airport, were already deferred indefinitely by the McGuinty government before Rob Ford took office.

https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/ne...e4312188/?ref=http://www.theglobeandmail.com&

So the reinstating of Transit City by council was really referring to the funded lines at that time, Sheppard LRT, Finch LRT, and Scarborough LRT. Not the Malvern LRT (now Eglintion East). While I am sure council wanted it, it simply wasnt being offered by the province at the time.

https://www.thestar.com/news/city_h...ad_as_toronto_council_votes_2419_for_lrt.html

Then, Rob Ford was persuaded by Stintz, as part of her OneCity plan

https://www.thestar.com/news/city_h...proposal_floated_by_stintz_debaeremaeker.html

to ask the Scarborough LRT to be converted to subway. It was a way for Rob Ford to not seem like he was defeated, that Scarborough would still get a subway after all, just not the Sheppard Extension but instead the current extension of Line 2.

New FWLRT map with the final stop names from the naming process reflected. Not sure why "Jane" is still Jane, as that would mean it's a duplicate. Source.

FinchWestLRT-Map-2018-ENGLISH.jpg
So...seriously...

Five plus years before it’s in operation and you order the signs on the walls, who cares?

I was mystified about what a circus the Line 5 naming was and how far in advance it had to be determined.

If I, in my armchair quarterback wisdom decided to rename Cedarvale to Allen-Eglinton, six months before Line 5 opens. What is so difficult about that? Why is his such a big deal? You have to order a few signs...change a little next station programming on the Rockets...

I was mystified about what a circus the Line 5 naming was and how far in advance it had to be determined.

That actually made sense because for Line 5, in many cases the station names were part of the physical design of the station. The naming isn't just going to be used on signs, but also plastered across the entire station structure, top-to-bottom. So the developers need to know what the names will be so they can put in the appropriate orders for parts and whatnot.

Finch's naming process was just lumped in with Eglinton's. Makes sense to have one consultant handle both lines, than to have two separate consultant doing the job.

I'm pretty sure the people who live their knows they will never to a subway in their lifetime. Sheppard is a good example and the people realize that. Unlike the Hurontario LRT, there is quite a demand for a LRT on Finch West. If they cancel it, a significant number of people will get angry than if they canceled Hurontario. I don't know how badly does Ford not want to be reelected.

The recent Metrolinx Capital projects report says that the FWLRT is at 60% Design as of October.

Finch West LRT
The Finch West LRT achieved Financial Close on May 7, 2018. Mosaic Transit Group (Mosaic), the consortium delivering the project, submitted the first 30% design package in September and the first 60% design packages in October.

http://www.metrolinx.com/en/docs/pdf/board_agenda/20181206/20181206_BoardMtg_CPG_Quarterly.pdf
http://www.metrolinx.com/en/docs/agendas/agendas_2018_12_06.aspx

Reminder...

Mosaic Transit Group - Open House

Join Us
Public Information Centre

Please join us at one of these upcoming Public Information Centres (PIC) to learn more about the overall project, find out about the construction and traffic management activities to rehabilitate the Highway 400 overpass at Finch Avenue West, view the information materials, speak to a member of our project team, and provide your input.

Drop in between 4 and 8 p.m. at one of the PICs:

Monday, December 10, 2018
Julius Banquet Centre
2201 Finch Avenue West, Unit 32
North York, ON M9M 2Y9

Wednesday, December 12, 2018
Plug ‘N Drive
1126 Finch Avenue West, Unit 1
North York, ON M3J 3J6

We Want To Hear From You
Can’t attend an Open House? You may review the presentation materials at www.mosaictransit.com and/or provide input to consultation@mosaictransit.com

Although comments will be accepted and considered throughout the study, we request to receive comments on the Study of Highway 400 Bridge Rehabilitation information materials by January 12, 2019. Information will be collected in accordance with the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FIPPA). With the exception of personal information, all comments will be part of the public record.

I stopped by quickly and basically they are going to replicate the process they've been using in Ottawa for the 400, there will be two bridges made one for southbound and one for northbound. I have confirmed that they are not widening anything it's just a replacement. At some point there will be two separate complete weekend closures of highway 400 NB and SB lanes and EB and WB finch, (i.e. one weekend for the NB bridge and another weekend for the SB bridge). Here's an example of what's being done.

I also asked about streetscape and it seems they are incorporating the various BIA's designs into the streetscape along the corridor, I don't think it'll be as nice as highway 7 but there also isn't the same amount of room to copy it. They are not burying hydro, but I couldn't confirm if they will do something similar to Highway 7 where they have separate poles for the service wires and then have all the street lights with underground wires (Hwy 7 had this prior to the BRT), or if they are going to replicate what we have now and simply move everything over with the street lights sharing the hydro wires. They will also pretty much clear cut finch (saving anything they can) and where there's space they will put new plantings.

RBR example.jpg

Last edited:
I stopped by quickly and basically they are going to replicate the process they've been using in Ottawa for the 400, there will be two bridges made one for southbound and one for northbound. I have confirmed that they are not widening anything it's just a replacement. At some point there will be two separate complete weekend closures of highway 400 NB and SB lanes and EB and WB finch, (i.e. one weekend for the NB bridge and another weekend for the SB bridge). Here's an example of what's being done.

I also asked about streetscape and it seems they are incorporating the various BIA's designs into the streetscape along the corridor, I don't think it'll be as nice as highway 7 but there also isn't the same amount of room to copy it. They are not burying hydro, but I couldn't confirm if they will do something similar to Highway 7 where they have separate poles for the service wires and then have all the street lights with underground wires (Hwy 7 had this prior to the BRT), or if they are going to replicate what we have now and simply move everything over with the street lights sharing the hydro wires. They will also pretty much clear cut finch (saving anything they can) and where there's space they will put new plantings.

View attachment 166853
Are you sure.

I thought Highway 400 was going to use SPMT's (Self Propelled Modular Transporters) to move the new bridge into place.
This has the bridge bridge built off to the side (inside the on-ramp loops) and then moved by the SPMTs (lift vehicles).

The 1 you show is a lateral slide.
Here, the bridge is built above the road (finch) on temporary supports and slid sideways.

Are you sure.

I thought Highway 400 was going to use SPMT's (Self Propelled Modular Transporters) to move the new bridge into place.
This has the bridge bridge built off to the side (inside the on-ramp loops) and then moved by the SPMTs (lift vehicles).

The 1 you show is a lateral slide.
Here, the bridge is built above the road (finch) on temporary supports and slid sideways.

Sorry you are correct, yes they will be building them on the loops and then use the SPMTs as you mentioned.

Back