News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 950     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 359     0 

Finch West Line 6 LRT

Is the DRL Line 6?
The DRL would be Line 3 in the TTC 2018 Corporate Plan, as per the image above. The same number and colour as the existing 6-station Line 3 Scarborough that they plan to close, and replace by a single new $4 billion subway station at Scarborough Centre.

All subject to change of course - they've swapped Line 6 and Line 7 around at least once. And Line 8 Jane seems like science fiction to me!

???

Actually, I was wondering if they'd changed the plan, and this was no longer going to be Line 6. I wonder how they compare to the previous renders someone posted - I think further up this thread.
Same reason why Union Station signs reference ACC. Plans change but in the back end and design doesn’t change. Just like how Downsview Park Station was originally called Sheppard West and the plans reflect that, even after the renaming.

Quoted from the Mosaic Transit Group website:

The Process
"This study is subject to Ontario’s Environmental Assessment Act and will be carried out in accordance with the requirements of the Class EA for Provincial Transportation Facilities (2000) (MTO’s Class EA) as a Group ‘B’ project. MTO’s Class EA allows a Group ‘B’ project to be “stepped down” to a Group ‘C’ project if there are no significant adverse environmental effects. Based on the findings of the study, MTO will decide if it is appropriate for the project to be “stepped down”. In the event a decision is made to step down the project, a notice will be issued to provide a 30-day public review periods."

Can someone please explain what "stepped down" or "step down the project" means?

Thanks

It would be nice if they could carve out a pedestrian tunnel, under highway 400, separate from the Finch avenue lanes during this rehabilitation/bridge replacement project.

Can someone please explain what "stepped down" or "step down the project" means?
MTO Class Environmental Assessments are one of 4 groups. A through D. These are listed at http://highway410detaildesign.ca/ea-process/ as:
  • Group “A” – Projects involving new facilities
  • Group “B” – Projects involving major improvements to existing facilities*
  • Group “C” – Projects involving minor improvements to existing facilities
  • Group “D” – Activities that involve operation, maintenance, administration and miscellaneous work for provincial transportation facili
If it's deemed not to be major, they'll "step it down" to group C.

Just bureaucratese relating to the procedures they have to follow.

Another one:

undergroundup1232_400.jpg

http://www.mosaictransit.com/notices.html

I'm curious, how big of a project is this bridge replacement. If it would be ranked according to scale and estimated cost where would it be positioned compared to similar infrastructure projects.

Also, is the province funding this project through Metrolinx or is the city involved in some funding capacity?

Thanks
I don't think the City is paying anything. It is just MTO rehabbing the bridge. I think the project is being handed to Metrolinx to construct on behalf of MTO.

I'd guess the bridge is about $20M to $25M. I have seen some Metrolinx documents where they plan a tunnel under 400 for multi-use trail - not sure if that's still on, but it would be extra. This of course will eliminate 1 lane in each direction from under the bridge.

Rebuilding the entire bridge, with larger spans to maintain all lanes (28m spans vs. existing 19m span), and maintain the multi-use trail beside the road - would likely cost $25M to $30M. However, this required some type of acknowledgement that maintaining the lanes is desirable, and also requires Metrolinx and MTO to better agree on a cost split.
The abutments and piers are being retained, so in 50 years time, we may regret that this current plan requires another bridge replacement (and closure of FWLRT for a few years), whereas a complete replacement now means another 100 years without replacement.

Mosaic Transit Group - Open House

Join Us
Public Information Centre
Please join us at one of these upcoming Public Information Centres (PIC) to learn more about the overall project, find out about the construction and traffic management activities to rehabilitate the Highway 400 overpass at Finch Avenue West, view the information materials, speak to a member of our project team, and provide your input.

Drop in between 4 and 8 p.m. at one of the PICs:

Monday, December 10, 2018
Julius Banquet Centre
2201 Finch Avenue West, Unit 32
North York, ON M9M 2Y9

Wednesday, December 12, 2018
Plug ‘N Drive
1126 Finch Avenue West, Unit 1
North York, ON M3J 3J6

We Want To Hear From You
Can’t attend an Open House? You may review the presentation materials at www.mosaictransit.com and/or provide input to consultation@mosaictransit.com

Although comments will be accepted and considered throughout the study, we request to receive comments on the Study of Highway 400 Bridge Rehabilitation information materials by January 12, 2019. Information will be collected in accordance with the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FIPPA). With the exception of personal information, all comments will be part of the public record.

Back