1.1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 953     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 359     0 

Finch West Line 6 LRT

Doug Ford says if Hamilton's mayor wants LRT, he'll get LRT

See link.

If someone gets elected, let 'em govern,' Ford said of Fred Eisenberger and his pro-LRT platform

Premier Doug Ford says if Hamilton's mayor wants a light rail transit (LRT) system, he's going to get one.

Ford visited Grimsby Wednesday to announce money for West Lincoln Memorial Hospital. He also told reporters he's still committed to Hamilton's planned LRT system. The province, under the previous Liberals, committed $1 billion to build it...

Now in last election in Ward 7, Humber River—Black Creek, Giorgio Mammoliti campaigned against the Finch West LRT, while Anthony Perruzza campaigned for the Finch West LRT. Anthony Perruzza won, and Giorgio Mammoliti lost.

This was also reflected in Zoning By-law Amendments to Implement Eglinton Crosstown LRT and Finch West LRT back on June 26, 27, 28 and 29, 2018, where the vote was 34 to 1 (10 absent), where Giorgio Mammoliti was the only one against. (Shockingly, even Michael Ford was for it.) See link.

So we'll see if Premier Doug Ford says or does the same with the Finch West LRT.

Conceptual FWLRT extension to Pearson shows up in the business case for a Highway 27/Woodbine GO station. Would be a great opportunity to link the line to GO.
ADEIPhi.png

Conceptual FWLRT extension to Pearson shows up in the business case for a Highway 27/Woodbine GO station. Would be a great opportunity to link the line to GO.
ADEIPhi.png

Where does the proposed Finch LRT/BRT extension terminate? At Kipling? I haven't seen this official proposal elsewhere.

I created an extremely similar looking proposal a year ago. Would be a BRT route connecting FWLRT, Pearson Airport ECLRT and Line 2 (Kipling Station). Much of it would be in 100% dedicated corridors, and the rest of it would be in a centre-median ROW, so travel times would be very fast. Travelling from Finch to Pearson, or Bloor to Pearson would each take less than 20 minutes.

Screen Shot 2018-12-01 at 3.52.07 PM.png

It just a general notation. BRT and LRT are considered the same in many Metrolinx documents. You only need to worry when the explicitly say "Finch West BRT/LRT".
Why does this crowd keep debating whether this is a go or not? There is a hell of a price to pay to break a contract. Open for business - not my words in this case - means that contract law is worth the paper on which it is written.

^technically if they cancel it the penalty is about the same as construction costs so taxpayers won't pay extra, just nothing will get built.

Uncertainty is not good...there has to be clarification about the status of the FinchWLRT project!

And soon...

I can't believe this will be cancelled. The questions will then come on why they waited 6 months to cancel it.

Rob Ford was smart in that he cancelled Transit City right away. He got to negotiating on the combined ECLRT and SRT.

He took power December 2010. Had the MOU in place for March 31, 2011 (4 months).
Allowed time for design refinements from March to the following year*.
However, the plan was killed and we are in limbo ever since.
The point is, he acted quickly.
(* - Unfortunately, Stintz and Metrolinx were conspiring against him instead of working on refining the combined plan.)

I can't believe this will be cancelled. The questions will then come on why they waited 6 months to cancel it.

Rob Ford was smart in that he cancelled Transit City right away. He got to negotiating on the combined ECLRT and SRT.

He took power December 2010. Had the MOU in place for March 31, 2011 (4 months).
Allowed time for design refinements from March to the following year*.
However, the plan was killed and we are in limbo ever since.
The point is, he acted quickly.
(* - Unfortunately, Stintz and Metrolinx were conspiring against him instead of working on refining the combined plan.)

Is that really an accurate history of what Ford did? My memory was that Ford said on day one in office "Transit City is dead". McGuinty and Wynne said, okay, but only if Council votes to do that. Ford then waited MONTHS to actually bring a motion to Council and when he did, he lost. Council voted in favour of ALL the LRT routes including Scarborough. Then, Stinz flipped and one of the Transit City lines was voted by Council to be a subway. Maybe my memory is fuzzy.

^technically if they cancel it the penalty is about the same as construction costs so taxpayers won't pay extra, just nothing will get built.

Pretty much. The winning bidder on Finch will already have spent $200M locking in subcontractors, staff, materials, and equipment for construction. Also, the feds $333M won't cover cancelled works; so that'll need to be repaid too.

There are deals that could be made though to limit penalties such as gifting Mosaic a cost+ contract for Hamilton. The optics won't be very good though as it definitely involves overspending on Hamilton.

I suspect Yurek just isn't familiar with the fine details of Finch and fell back to the party line of "we're auditing everything". Of course, when they do find out Finch is too expensive to cancel, they'll have implicitly approved the project as good value for money.

Last edited:

Back