News   Jul 09, 2024
 758     1 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 1.6K     3 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 602     0 

Finch Avenue West: Opportunities for Improved Bus Service

Transit plan slammed; Councillors complain Finch and Sheppard got left at the curb
The Toronto Sun
Tue May 31 2011
Byline: DON PEAT CITY HALL BUREAU

A bid by city councillors to find transit solutions for Sheppard and Finch Aves. hit a roadblock Monday.

The planning and growth committee deferred considering two requests for solutions left out of Mayor Rob Ford's new transportation plan until the TTC comes back with its plan for improved public transit on Finch and Sheppard.

Under the Transit City plan Ford killed when he took office, both Sheppard and Finch would have had light-rail lines built along them.

Ford wants to extend the subway along Sheppard instead of an LRT and the TTC is looking at different options for the crowded buses along Finch.

Councillor Raymond Cho told councillors because of the new transit plan, his ward gets "nothing."

"Building the Scarborough subway under the circumstances is like building (a) disaster-way for the city of Toronto," said the Scarborough- Rouge River councillor. "We are faced with a shortfall of $700 million. Where are we going to get the money?"

Councillor Anthony Perruzza accused TTC chairman Karen Stintz of trying to rewrite Toronto's transit history and demanded to know what the full cost is of cancelling Transit City.

The Ward 8 councillor said Ford wasted "basically $15 million ... on Finch Ave. alone, Sheppard Ave. was under construction for a year when you cancelled it. There is a massive price tag ... we're probably into hundreds of millions of dollars into this program today, that's basically being burned as we speak."

Monday's debate was the first time any aspect of Ford's new transit plan was up for scrutiny.

Stintz maintained council, the TTC and the appropriate committees will have a chance to weigh in on Ford's plan.

She said the TTC will discuss options for improving Finch's bus transit in September.

"(The Finch LRT) was not scheduled to begin construction until well into the future, if the province decides that they want to bring that back to the table then they can do that," Stintz said.

After the meeting, Councillor Adam Vaughan blasted Ford's transit approach.

"They have no strategy, no plan and when it comes to presenting a vision for this city, what you heard today is that they have a plan to have a proposal that will provide ideas on how to have a plan to have a proposal that may be a plan at some point," Vaughan said. "I've never heard such gobbledygook."

This is a post and reply from another thread, which I think is better placed here

Not sure if this image has been posted yet

cb7cfc6c412aabab352a61761001.jpg

Couple of observations:

1. Is there actually talk about Finch going through, or is this just a mistake? From everything I've read, my understanding that any Finch BRT would be exclusive to the western portion of the route.

2. Regardless of whether or not the map is accurate or not, it shows just how wasteful Sheppard was and is. Building a Finch B/LRT along the hydro corridor across the top of the city just looks to make too much sense. Two points I want to make on this:

- While it may take a little longer to walk from Finch to the hydro corridor, it is worth noting that any walk would be no worse than walking through a subway station (which is what these people want, Ford said so!) and would serve a mobility market needing to travel longer distances while buses on Finch would serve more local commutes.

- The location makes sense too. Despite what andrewpmk said above, the way rapid transit is constructed, at least in the GTA, tends to be designed to compete more with major arteries than highways. Simply look at the Spadina line. With the exception of rush hour, it is consistently passed by road traffic. The same cannot be said for the GO Lakeshore East line, which is highly visible from the 401. Even the Yonge line between Eglinton and Sheppard tops out around 70-80km/h, if that.

- A Finch line also makes sense from an urban planning theory point of view as well. You have highways around the city, and rapid transit to take people into the core. In this case, the 400, 407, 404, and 401 form the ring, while rapid transit along Finch and Yonge take people into downtown North York. This way people from out of town can get into the core without driving all the way in. This theory isn't perfect, as some argue it allows people to bypass the city possibly too easily. But personally it is far better than the alternative which is to force obscene amounts of traffic on to city through streets, or worse, build highways directly into the core.

The only way to save grace for Sheppard would be to extend it north along the Viva Green route to downtown Markham. With the new urbanist TOD being constructed there, it may have a shot of actually generating ridership - even if currently the Green line is rush hour only due to poor ridership.

Finch in Hydro corridor doesn't make much sense West of Bathurst. Obviously it is completely useless west of highway 400.

There are a few places between Bathurst and Jane on Finch where the bulk of destination are on the south side of the street and a it would be difficult to get through mid-block from the hydro corridor. One of the more obvious is where the York U busway is.

A good chunk of employment for people coming from further east on Finch (Jane area) is directly south of the impassable oil storage yards. As I've said elsewhere, Finch has an unually high number of trips that do not require a transfer. Both the origin and destination are on Finch and care must be taken to preserve these very lucrative* trips.

* TTC benefits greatly from high-turnover of full price short trips and Finch has a lot of those. If local service is gutted too much in favour of express, we may see those trips disappear.

I'm not convinced it is the best idea East of Bayview either both due to the distance involved and the roads department will take issue with adding hundreds of new lights on North/South streets.

East of the 404 the hydro corridor obviously isn't workable for Finch service as they are 1km apart.

First, in regards to the west end, while I am not condoning government waste, profit should not be the prime goal of a public service either. The Finch corridor is home to some of the poorest people in the city, many of whom cannot afford a car for the option of longer travel. Therefore they are forced to meet their everyday life needs close to home. While far from a bad thing, they should WANT to do this rather than be forced to due to their economic situation. Even those who are well off and do choose to live such a lifestyle, they tend to have access to options to meet longer travel needs (car, rapid or commuter transit).

Northwest Toronto is also not just a suburban abyss, as there are quite a few points of interest which could generate ridership on a faster route. Woodbine Racetrack and Slots, Woodbine Centre Mall, Humber College, and to a lesser extent Wild Water Kingdom are all located near or at where a Finch BRT would end. I actually have met a surprising number people in Richmond Hill who attend or attended Humber, and of course, they drive as transit would take several hours in its current form. If there was a rapid transit option, some of these people might take it instead. That doesn't even consider those from North York or Scarborough who would be able to get to these places in a reasonable amount of time.

As for the eastern portion... okay, considering that it is more open and the fact that the hydro corridor is out of the way, I can see putting in bus lanes on Finch as a more probable option. Still, it would be interesting to see how many people would travel the extra kilometer north to access a faster ride overall...

One option of course is to build both BRT on Finch and BRT in the hydro corridor. I know it sounds nuts, but one would be for local travel, and the other would be for express rapid transit.

I don't think a Finch Hydro corridor BRT along the entire hydro corridor stretch is feasible, but consider an express corridor between Finch West Station and Seneca College. It would hit the Spadina subway, Yonge subway, Richmond Hill GO line, Don Mills Rapid Transit line, and a major college. If the Jane LRT (or BRT, or whatever) is ever built, it can be extend west to there. And the corridor between Keele and Dufferin is already built.

This way you could have two routes running along Finch: One route that stayed on Finch the entire length, and one route that went on Finch west of Keele and east of the 404, and jumped on the Hydro Corridor BRT for the central stretch.

It's unlikely that a Sheppard West extension will be built in the next 20 years, so this would be the only reliable rapid transit link between the Y and US lines north of Eglinton.

Just some food for thought.

I really don't understand why it takes so much discussion and dollars to get BRT going, if that is going to be the new plan on Finch. Get someone to slap a coat of red or green paint on the right lane of Finch, move all the bus stops to the far side of signallized intersections (standard in BRT setups), and make sure all the buses are equipped with the green light extending hardware. BRT on the cheap, and done in a month max - you probably won't need extra buses anyway due to the immediate gains in speed.

As for Electrify's suggestion that the new map makes Sheppard look short-sighted, the idea noted of following Viva green's route north would negate the need for a Finch BRT in the hydro corridor - Extend Sheppard north along the 404 to Beaver Creek or Downtown Markham, and tie it to the Spadina line - you would get a high quality rapid transit link between York University (via the Spadina line) to Seneca College and points North & Northeast that would actually run through a dense population corridor, something that a hydro corridor line would never be able to be unless the power lines are buried to permit development on the ground (it's probably something we could use the Vaughan/Eglinton TBMs for if there's no other use for them afterwards).

As for the suggestion that rapid transit in Toronto isn't built to compete with highways, I think that's has more to do with operations as opposed to construction (construction is a part of it, though) - the TTC doesn't appear to view highways as a major competitor (at least in the suburbs), otherwise I would like to think we would see express buses along the 401 and DVP, and subway trains that don't max out at 80km/h (I would like to think that the tunnels can handle faster - systems like Moscow see 100km/h+). Someone also would have proposed extending Sheppard north along the 404 to Hwy 7 already if that was the case - it looks like a natural, just judging by the congestion BOTH WAYS along the 404.

Northwest Toronto is also not just a suburban abyss, as there are quite a few points of interest which could generate ridership on a faster route. Woodbine Racetrack and Slots, Woodbine Centre Mall, Humber College, and to a lesser extent Wild Water Kingdom are all located near or at where a Finch BRT would end. I actually have met a surprising number people in Richmond Hill who attend or attended Humber, and of course, they drive as transit would take several hours in its current form. If there was a rapid transit option, some of these people might take it instead. That doesn't even consider those from North York or Scarborough who would be able to get to these places in a reasonable amount of time.

Speaking of northwest Toronto, if a BRT is built along Finch West it really needs to go a bit beyond Humber College. I would suggest having the bus route branch in two: 1 branch will go to Malton (replacing Mississauga #22), the other will serve Woodbine Centre, Woodbine Racetrack, and Pearson Airport. If express service is established on Finch West then ending at Humber College makes no sense.

In the March 30, 2012 Commission Meeting Supplementary Agenda and Reports there is this report, available in PDF at this link, on Opportunities for Improved Bus Service on Finch Avenue – Follow-Up Report.

It makes the following point:

It would be possible to increase the speed and reliability of the 36 FINCH WEST bus route, and reduce its round-trip running time by approximately ten minutes, through:
  • construction of queue-jump lanes for buses at 30 intersections, either by constructing new curb-side lanes or by lengthening existing right-turn lanes;
  • moving nine heavily-used bus stops from their current locations on the approach-side of intersections to new bus bays on the away-side of intersections;
  • enhancement of the existing transit signal priority system on Finch Avenue West, and installation of transit signal priority at seven new intersections which currently don’t have it

In addition:

It would take upwards of two years to re-construct the designated intersections and build the required new bus bays.

It would cost approximately $25-$30 million, but:

This capital investment in bus-operations improvements may not be warranted because City Council’s recent decisions to confirm the implementation of light rail transit on Finch Avenue West, and Metrolinx’s planned 2016 start of construction of light rail transit there, would result in the queue-jump lanes and other physical improvements only being used for 1- 3 years.

And in the summary is the following comments:

Significant improvements to the speed and reliability of the 36 FINCH WEST bus route could be achieved by implementing queue-jump lanes at the majority of signalised intersections on Finch Avenue West to allow buses to by-pass traffic queues. The overall cost of these improvements, plus others mentioned in this report, would be approximately $25-to-$30 million. In light of Council’s recently-announced and re-confirmed support of near-term implementation of light rail on Finch Avenue West, west of Keele Street, the cost of such short-lived improvements would be difficult to justify.

There are no near-term plans for a light rail on Finch Avenue West, east of Keele Street, and there are fourteen intersections between Keele Street and Bathurst Street where buses would benefit from queue-jump lanes. These improvements could be considered for the implementation because they would have longer service lives.

Found another interesting consideration on articulated buses, in the same report:

When the TTC gets its new higher-capacity articulated buses starting in 2013, one of the routes on which they will be operated is the 36 FINCH WEST route. This will improve the efficiency and productivity of the route, because each bus will be able to carry more people. However, with this increase in capacity per bus, comes an increase in the total passenger boarding time per stop. In order to avoid this, consideration will be given to providing staff at high-volume bus stops to allow customers to board at all doors and reduce the time at busy stops, until the Presto fare system is in operation.

Last edited:
Agreed on all accounts.

All of those suggestions seem completely logical to me.

Although I don't think the costs would be difficult to justify even though LRT is being built. Queue jump lanes require widening intersections, so would LRT. All you're doing is doing the widening in advance of the LRT. Widen the road to the right width for LRT when you do the widening for the queue jump lanes. It isn't exactly rocket science.

Agreed on all accounts.

All of those suggestions seem completely logical to me.

Although I don't think the costs would be difficult to justify even though LRT is being built. Queue jump lanes require widening intersections, so would LRT. All you're doing is doing the widening in advance of the LRT. Widen the road to the right width for LRT when you do the widening for the queue jump lanes. It isn't exactly rocket science.

Building the queue jump lanes now for the buses to use and for right turns, which would then become the right traffic lanes after the LRT is built or during the construction phase of the LRT. I see you point.

Building the queue jump lanes now for the buses to use and for right turns, which would then become the right traffic lanes after the LRT is built or during the construction phase of the LRT. I see you point.

Exactly. The left turn lanes would still need to be reconfigured, but the placement of the traffic islands in the 4 corners of the intersection, as well as the placement of the sidewalks wouldn't need to change. All you're doing is shifting lanes around within the existing road space.

There is a report due in May to look at building not only queue jump lanes for Finch, but the city as a whole.

It will look at if money is going to thrown away once the LRT is built if these queue jump lanes are built now at a cost of $35m and if so, how much.

At the same time and long over due, TTC and various departments are to talk to each other to see plan construction program can be modify to meet the needs of everyone at a faction of the current method. If works plans on fixing a intersection, can a queue jump lane be built at the same time to reduce construction cost to TTC or others should be looked at. Having departments not talking to each other is something at came in the report on the St Clair mess which was no surprise to me or others.

There is a report due in May to look at building not only queue jump lanes for Finch, but the city as a whole.

It will look at if money is going to thrown away once the LRT is built if these queue jump lanes are built now at a cost of $35m and if so, how much.

At the same time and long over due, TTC and various departments are to talk to each other to see plan construction program can be modify to meet the needs of everyone at a faction of the current method. If works plans on fixing a intersection, can a queue jump lane be built at the same time to reduce construction cost to TTC or others should be looked at. Having departments not talking to each other is something at came in the report on the St Clair mess which was no surprise to me or others.

This is a great idea, and exactly how it should be done. When they built a new shopping complex near my house (site of an old high school that had been decommissioned), the increased traffic volume demanded a bunch of changes to the road infrastructure (double left turn lanes, etc).

They installed queue jump lanes (and bike lanes!) at the same time as they were doing everything else. The City has identified a bunch of corridors that are in need of transit infrastructure improvements, but rather than spending a lot of money and doing the corridors as separate projects, they are combining the necessary transit work into regular infrastructure projects (like the road modifications because of the new shopping centre).

It doesn't even have to be road infrastructure projects for Toronto. A lot of the water mains under streets in the post-war suburbs are getting pretty old, and may need replacing soon. Why not combine the projects?

Didn't combining projects make St. Clair take longer than usual?

Only because the other projects were added in mid-stream (i.e. scope creep). If you get that all sorted out at the start of the project, there wouldn't be a delay because of it. Define the scope at the start, and stick to it.

From the upcoming June 29th, TTC meeting, at this link, you can download a PDF on OPPORTUNITIES FOR IMPROVED BUS SERVICE ON FINCH AVENUE - FOLLOW-UP REPORT #2.

It is recommended:
  • the frequency of service on the 36 FINCH WEST bus route will be improved during four off-peak periods of operation currently experiencing overcrowding, beginning in September, 2012;
  • as soon as the TTC receives its initial fleet of articulated buses in 2014, the standard buses which are now operated on the 36 FINCH WEST bus route will be replaced with articulated buses, which provide greater ability to accommodate surge or uneven passenger demand and which will reduce the annual cost of operating this route by $1 million;
  • there are 12 candidate locations for queue-jump lanes on Finch Avenue West, east of Keele Street, which, if implemented, would improve the speed and reliability of transit service on Finch Avenue, and would cost approximately $8 million to construct;
  • queue-jump lanes are a proven way to achieve significant reductions in delays to buses at congested intersections, and there are many locations throughout the city where queue-jump lanes would provide measurable and perceptible improvements; most of these locations would achieve greater benefits than would be achieved at the 12 locations identified on Finch Avenue West;
  • if funds were made available for queue-jump lanes, then such lanes should be implemented starting where the greatest benefits could be achieved, and this reports contains a short-list of 25 potential strong candidate locations in the TTC bus system, including two of the twelve locations on Finch Avenue West;
  • queue-jump lanes were one of the initiatives identified by City Council, in 2007, as a means of improving transit operations in Toronto, as discussed in the Council-approved report entitled, “Climate Change, Clean Air, and Sustainable Energy Action Planâ€; Council directed City staff to consult with the TTC to identify opportunities and locations to implement queue-jump lanes;
  • in May, 2012, City Transportation Services and City Planning issued a letter stating that they are opposed to the implementation of queue-jump lanes in areas of intensification (major arterial roads designated as “Avenues†downtown, the centres, secondary plans areas) where congestion affects transit operations, thus creating a roadblock to the implementation of queue-jump lanes in Toronto; and
  • any interest in pursuing queue-jump lanes in Toronto will likely require support and direction from City Council to supersede the position adopted by City Transportation Services and City Planning.

Articulated Buses are planned for delivery by 2014-2015 for the following bus routes:
29 Dufferin: 24
7 Bathurst: 15
116 Morningside: 13
25 Don Mills: 25
36 Finch West: 25
85A Sheppard East: 19

The queue-jump lanes for 36 Finch West would be at:
Twelve potential queue-jump lanes were identified at these seven intersections:
  • in both directions at Bathurst, Goldfinch/Torresdale, Wilmington, Dufferin, Champagne/Alness; and
  • in the westbound direction only at Chesswood and at Tangiers

Shortlist of 25 intersections, citywide:
shortlist of 25 intersections with high bus volumes and significant delays due to traffic congestion. All but five of these were previously listed in the 2009 TTC report entitled, “Transit City Bus Planâ€.
  • Dufferin at Lawrence, both directions
  • Finch East in both directions at Bayview, Warden, Victoria Park
  • Finch East, westbound at Don Mills and at Kennedy
  • Finch West, eastbound at Dufferin
  • Finch West, westbound at Tangiers
  • Lawrence at Dufferin, both directions
  • Lawrence at Caledonia, westbound
  • York Mills at Leslie, eastbound
  • York Mills at Bayview, westbound
  • Steeles East, eastbound at Woodbine and at Don Mills
  • Steeles West, westbound at Bathurst
  • Steeles West, eastbound at Jane
  • Ellesmere, westbound at McCowan
  • Wilson, westbound at Wilson Heights (first street east of Wilson Subway Station)
  • Markham at Lawrence, both directions

There is a however. In the summary:
City of Toronto staff have issued a formal position statement which opposes the implementation of queue-jump lanes in most areas planned for intensification. Therefore, if there is interest in implementing queue-jump lanes, it may become necessary for City Council to provide support and direction for queue-jump lanes, in order to supersede the City staff position on this matter.

Last edited:
This drives me nuts!

The report makes complete sense, and in fact I was nodding my head throughout 90% of that, until that very last line... WTF?! Aren't areas targeted for intensification EXACTLY WHERE you would want queue jump lanes, because of the increased pressure that added density will place on the road network?! Put the queue jump lane in now BEFORE the area is densified, at which point widening the road will be next to impossible.

Nodding my head in agreement, followed by a facepalm at the end...

Back