News   Jun 18, 2024
 115     0 
News   Jun 18, 2024
 329     0 
News   Jun 17, 2024
 1.2K     4 

Feather Factory Lofts (Roncesvalles/Dundas, Plazacorp)

The building from today showing the sales signs removed

good to see the building is pulling the plug on this project ... and thankfully this 'scam attempt' was stopped it in time with all the publicity

shame on the developer :(

The Website actually says "Opening Sept. 27 & 28" so looks like they are still continuing to try and sell them.

An older advertisement ... but it says Fall 2008 move in ?? do they expect people to move in and live in a office unit ??

and yeah you are right monty ... Plazacorp even has a 'opening countdown' on the http://www.featherfactorylofts.com/ website too ... this project certainly changes my view of Plazacorp

6929fb7152f7638a87b779900714b8e4--1--C0304225jpg--large.jpg

Update

I had some time and decided to try calling the phone number shown above ... just for fun haha :cool:

TorontoLofts rep tells me that sales office for this project will not be opening due to some 'difficulties' and will be relaunching in Spring 2009, website will be revised with this info soon

I had some time and decided to try calling the phone number shown above ... just for fun haha :cool:

TorontoLofts rep tells me that sales office for this project will not be opening due to some 'difficulties' and will be relaunching in Spring 2009, website will be revised with this info soon

So there you have it. Is this a realistic timescale to get all the permits and zoning sorted?

I feel for the original purchasers who have been messed around; I wonder if they voided all contracts in the end?
Does anyone think the original purchasers will be given first refusal on the relaunched project or will it be a free-for-all?

I still don't get how they thought they could possibly have pulled this off!

Thanks for the info Solaris...

now its just a matter of seeing what changes they are going to make for the relaunch in Spring 2009...

1) Increased Price

Not in the current market condition.
However, if they get the final approvals and permits, and since the units will be 'move-in' ready that may help sell them.
There is a market for hard lofts, mostly yuppies and not the true artists that originated the concepts.

Not in the current market condition.
However, if they get the final approvals and permits, and since the units will be 'move-in' ready that may help sell them.
There is a market for hard lofts, mostly yuppies and not the true artists that originated the concepts.

Time will tell... Plazacorp will have to deal with increased overhead (quoted at 6k per unit for zoning alone), the prospect of a new marketing campaign and at least 6 months lost return on their investment - assuming no delays down at city hall.

The project seemed to be well-received in the sales office, the current real estate climate is not that great yet the "yuppies" were quick to snap them up. Hard lofts with decent transit access, sized for the first time buyer and downsizer will always prove popular.

Why wouldn't they try to pass that cost on to the purchaser? It's the least i'd expect from any business, never mind a developer :D
I would at least expect them to try, who knows if it will work.

feather factory lofts a scam to people who think they can live in them...

this is an email i got from gord perks

Good afternoon,

You are receiving this email because you have contacted my office regarding the development at 2154 Dundas St. either as a concerned resident or prospective buyer.

I believe there has been a lot of misinformation circulating in the community regarding the permitted use of this building. Since I was first notified by residents of their concerns regarding parking and occupancy I have been working very closely with staff in Building, Municipal Licensing and Standards and City Planning to ensure that the developers create clear communication tools to confirm the commercial use of 2154 Dundas.

A bit of history: this building was originally constructed in 1919 as a 5-storey light manufacturing building. It appeared to be used as such up to 1981 when permits were issued for uses described as light manufacturing and "artist and photographers studio". It's important to note here that the "artists and photographers studio" is still an industrial-type use within the zoning bylaw and it does not allow spaces to be used as residences, including "live/work" or apartments.

Currently the Property is zoned MCR. Under this zoning the City allows a wide range of commercial and residential uses, however, the building is currently classified as a commercial building which means that the loft must be used exclusively for commercial purposes.

Should a property owner want to use their loft for residential purposes, they must apply and obtain a building permit from the City of Toronto for the proposed change of use prior to commencing such residential use. Applying for such a permit would involve payment of application fees, the obtaining of planning approval(s), an application for a building permit for a change of use and the payment of a number of levies and charges.

I have provided this information to you because while a conversion from commercial to residential may be permitted, any alteration could result in planning approvals necessary for parking and loading among other things. I will stress that an approval of this kind can be a lengthy, costly undertaking, and may require site plan approvals and a traffic study (residential use would require provision of parking). As many of you have stated, the neighbourhood is strained for parking as is.

Finally, I have confirmed with staff in the City's Transportation/permit parking department that this is a commercial building and that no permits are to be issued to this address. Transportation's computer system will be updated to ensure parking permits are not issued to anyone at 2154 Dundas St W.

I hope that this email has sufficiently addressed all of your concerns.

Please don't hesitate to contact my assistant Amy Johnston ,ajohnston@toronto..ca, if you have further questions.

Gord

Gord Perks
City Councillor
Ward 14, Parkdale-High Park

Toronto City Hall
100 Queen Street West
2nd Floor, Suite A14
Toronto, Ontario M5H 2N2
416-392-7919
councillor_perks@toronto.ca

I applaud sharky for his attention to this big scam...

I for one applaud sharky and his efforts, he wasnt the only one to draw attention to the scam the plaza corp was trying to pull off on unsuspecting buyers. There is alot of people in this area of the feather lofts disgusted with the lies and scam the corp was trying to pull off knowing full well there was no parking or living in the lofts allowed. they were trying to make their money at the expense of people not knowing the situation in this area, parking etc...the zoning of the building. Why didnt they get the building properly zoned and sort out the parking issue before they tried to sell them off??? that is the big question...that i want to ask.....if it wasnt for sharky and some other concerned residents in the area, alot of people stood to lose alot of money ........cheers ! Sidhe

you should never put someones address on this forum ...you must live in the area too ..that's invasion of sharkys privacy you would'nt want your private info put on here... just saying...

I have been following this thread and have to say I'm really shocked and appalled at the developer's behaviour. Did purchasers that may not have been aware of the problem received that letter from builder? No one should be stuck with one of these properties they can't live in. I hope no one got screwed. Teh developer should be sued for misrepresentation ("Move in this Fall!"). I'd be very interested to hear another update from any of the people who were involved in this. They should go to the Globe or the Star and get them to report on this outrage...that would be a nice public slap to the builder.

Was there not a time (in the last 10-20 years?) when the city was open to mixed zoning, or almost no zoning?

I ask because I rent a live/work studio that is (as far as I recall) not at all zoned residential, though *everyone* lives here. I realize renting is different than owning - but is it not a similar thing?

Back