News   Jun 28, 2024
 3.9K     5 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.9K     2 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 655     1 

Fare evasion on the TTC...

If nobody's going to stop you for not paying, then paying is optional... that's irrefutable. You can't say it's required when there are no consequences for not doing something. If it's optional, it's a donation

So when you see that unattended vegetable cart on the side of the rural road, you think "I don't have to pay, they only want an optional donation. These vegetables are free."?

33476006_91d6300214.jpg

Last edited:
POP = You pay an entrance fee entering museum (an admission booth, but no turnstiles), and required to wear a sticker or tag or carry the ticket so security can see you paid visually or upon request.

Honour system = A box at the front of the museum has a sign saying "pay what you can" and/or "suggested admission fee = $8".

"suggested admission fee" means it's optional... it's not an honour system, it's a donation, because they're not even setting a price (it's only "a suggestion").

Those watermelons, it's actually honour system because if it suddenly becomes attended, then you'd get caught taking one without dropping $2, so there is enforcement on that one. It's comparable to GO Train inspectors. Not the same thing as an absence of enforcement as you were suggesting earlier.

What do you mean? There's no attendant, you can see anyone coming. You think they suddenly jump out at people and go "BOO! I didn't see you pay for that!". There is NO enforcement, it's in no way comprable to GO. You have no fear of being checked to see if you've actually paid.

Quoting the OED:
Honour system: a system of payment or examinations which relies on the honesty of those concerned.

If it doesn't rely on honesty, but instead on inspections, then it's not on your honour.

This discussion depresses me. The idea that people will only do something because they fear punishment is very sad. Maybe we've lost the meaning of honour in our society?

This discussion depresses me. The idea that people will only do something because they fear punishment is very sad. Maybe we've lost the meaning of honour in our society?
No, I don't think 99% of people are like that. Stand in subway station where there is no attendant ... everyone keeps paying.

There's some f**k-ups out there ... but ignore them.

Last edited by a moderator:
people pay imo due to the fact others would look at them in shame if they did not...

However on GO if you do not pay and go on a rush hour train, who would know and who checks...

I’m really not interested in exploring increased enforcement until Metrolinx and the TTC figure out how to implement a reliable payment system. There’s nothing to be enforced as long as the fare system cannot distinguish someone that’s attempted to pay a fare, from somebody who is a genuine fare evader.

In the meanwhile the TTC should go after Metrolinx for compensation due to their incomplete Presto implementation

What are the chances that a fare inspector would get shot soon. In response they arm the inspectors and have a gun fight on the streetcar next.

Vid:
He sprayed the mace all over his partner's back.

AoD

They look like nothing more than a bunch of amateur thugs on a power trip. There's no way a $3.25 fare dispute should lead to this. Could you imagine if Toronto Police (who are also sworn peace officers) were involved in a similar dispute in a Green P lot over an unpaid parking ticket? They'd be a laughingstock.

Back