News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 455     0 

Family Sized Condos

Well, some tend to be less pompous, but not Dougie.

Speaking for myself, I am really pleased to hear that the cost of home-owning never goes up, that all homeowners are equipped with Bobcats and concrete mixers, and they never contribute to climate change via urban sprawl or bumper-to-bumper traffic or while driving to power centers where they can pick up aluminum siding at Home Depot which they will, of course, install themselves.

that all homeowners are equipped with Bobcats and concrete mixers,

Yes indeed, all homeowners MUST have a bobcat and a concrete mixer in order to maintain their environment destroying house. Don't forget trenching equipment, well drilling and a small oil refinery or coal mine in order to generate electricity and heat, only the richest of us have nuclear reactors in our backyards for that.
Of course, condo dwellers are actually saving the planet, their glass boxes absorb carbon dioxide and turn it into puppies and vegetables, which they sell to offset their maintenance fees and feed the poor house owners who are struggling to pay their monthly basement waterproofing bills.

I've already said to each their own, there are benefits to house ownership just as there are benefits to condo ownership, but there are some people in this thread who don't seem to be able to wrap their heads around that and constantly belittle those who chose to live in a house. I live in a house downtown, it didn't contribute to any sprawl, as you insist, unless you think that Toronto should never have expanded east of Church street.

By the way, I don't own a car, don't need one....but wasn't it you who complained about driving in bumper to bumper traffic recently?

Nothing like listening to people claim superiority over others due to their lifestyle decisions.

Some people like houses. Some people like condos. Live and let live. No need to critique how other people choose to live their lives.

Anyhoo... the cost of commercial snow removal in the city city is now so high that it can actually be more cost effective to buy a bobcat if one has reasonably substantial snow clearing requirements (say, the equivalent of 20 parking spots). You pay through the nose to have someone else on call.

Of course, the average homeowner can easily get by with a mere shovel or small snow blower that will last for years and cost almost nothing to operate. Aside from a few bags of mulch and soil each spring, our ongoing landscaping expenses are essentially zero. It is nice to have someone else deal with it, but I'd rather pay myself instead. I'm going to hire someone to repaint the front of our house, but since no scaffolding is required (unlike a condo) it will only cost a couple hundred bucks.

I store my snow blower, along with an ancient electric lawn mower (which came with the house) and other basic gardening tools, winter tires, bikes, etc. in the resin shed which I purchased from a big box store for less than the equivalent of one month of your condo fees and assembled on a nice summer weekend with a few friends and a few beers. An equivalent unit at a self-storage facility would cost around $200 a month. If you can use the space that a house offers, there's no contest between that and a large condo.

I've been a homeowner (SFH) and now I rent a condo. I much prefer the condo lifestyle, but I also sometimes miss having my own little "patch" of property. But not enough to want to own a home again. :)

It is definitely a personal lifestyle choice. That being said, I think there is a disproportionate amount of house-lust going on in this city. Maybe even Canada in general. It is a lot of work running a home, and many do not seem to grasp this concept (especially the first-timers) and reconcile it with how busy they actually are and how motivated or interested they are to do the actual work. They are buying into a "dream", and seem oblivious to the staggering debt (numbers just don't seem "real" to people anymore) and the time and money that it will consume. Must. Own. House. It is a frenzy that leaves me scratching my head.

I am not against real estate by any stretch. I think that eventually we will purchase another home, but for now it seems more practical to rent, live in a few different places, and see where we want to settle. The focus now, in our 40's, is on saving money for our retirement, not dumping thousands into a home. Renting allows us to do that. Plenty of working years left for both of us; it is great to be able to move whenever we want or need to.

But to circle back to the topic, I do think that larger condos will be the new hot ticket, but I also think the prices will be constrained by the often much-higher condo fees. I also think renting will lose it's stigma and be accepted as a more respectable option. Yes, home ownership has been a traditional and typically rock-solid strategy, but almost always over the long-term, and many people these days live much more transient lives than our boomer parents did. The times, they are indeed a-changing.

^^I agree.^^

This is not a contest. All I want to do is dispel the myth that condos are disproportionately more costly than houses once one considers the services provided and the time/hassle spared. Not everybody is Handy Andy, ready to scale a 12 foot ladder with a chainsaw in hand when a tree branch threatens to land on your neighbour's kids' swing set. You get what you pay for.

Also, when one hits retirement age, as we have, and we want to travel worry-free (i.e. no pipes bursting, no break-ins, no arranging for somebody to shovel etc.), and we have done with years and years of house maintenance and dealing with contractors, then NOTHING compares to a spacious, solid condo close to transit, restaurants, entertainment etc.

A well-run condo, with a board that keeps an eye on the reserve fund and things that must be repaired and replaced down the road, is not the special assessment money pit that some people seem to think it is.

This is not a contest.......

.... NOTHING compares to a spacious, solid condo close to transit, restaurants, entertainment etc.

Nothing except a well maintained, well built spacious house, close to transit, restaurants, entertainment etc. owned by someone who is decades away from retirement age and has already 'done time' in a condo.

But, this isn't a contest ;)

Again, what she said ^^^ :)

Been there, done that when it comes to a large house. 26 years worth. Maybe one day I will get a small house but for now, the downtown condo lifestyle works for me. And if I go back to a house, it might well be one run as a condominium so I still wouldn't have to shovel or mow

Some of us ex house owners are actually quite handy and still do some of that type of thing inside our condos. However, after over twenty years of house ownership sometimes the effects of aging can have an impact on some of us and our abilities to do certain house related chores. For us, having the convenience of living in a condo where the heavy stuff is taken care of and paid for with our condo fees is not only worth it, but also necessary.

As I said before, I think that having a largish sized condo my monthly costs are a bit higher than the averaged out monthly costs of my much larger house. However, that extra cost is very worth the extra free time living in the condo affords me so I'm happy with it. When I was younger I loved our houses and gardens and didn't mind doing all the stuff related to maintenance of the houses, but that time has past.

I have seen tenants who don't know how to change a light-bulb, much less buy one. A toilet that won't stop flowing, call 9-1-1.

Tell me about it. I've had tenants call me about some of the most ridiculous things. "microwave doesn't work". Microwave was unplugged. true story.

There's a lot of development potential in our low-rise neighbourhoods, but it can be difficult to get approvals. Just severing a lot to build two narrower detached homes can require an OMB hearing because of NIMBY opposition.

The Star ran an interesting story about raising kids in Liberty Village.

Liberty Village has plenty of bars, but there is no school, library, or community centre, something Hofley says needs to be on the agenda at city hall and the school boards sooner rather than later.

“These aren’t things that need to be planned for in 15 or 20 years. These are things that are going to be needed in five,” he said.

In the meantime, some young families can’t wait.

Michael Camber is a realtor with The Sutton Group working in Liberty Village. He acknowledges families are staying longer, but they still leave.

“I’m not so much moving families in. What I tend to be doing is moving them out,” he said.

Camber himself left the village six months after his second child was born, citing a lack of parks and “not the right amenities.”

“They’re staying a little bit longer than they used to five or 10 years ago,” he said, but ultimately Camber sees families go far afield to get what they need, in their price range.

According to Shim, that move to the suburbs will become increasingly difficult as people acclimatize to urban life.

“I think people are trying to make it work,” Shim said. “They’ll stay downtown in the cramped two-bedroom and den because it allows them to walk to work.

“It’s a lifestyle. It’s the ‘I can spend more time with my children because I’m not sitting on the Gardiner or DVP for hours and hours a day.’ ”

Back