News   Mar 28, 2024
 176     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 605     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 368     0 

Fairview Mall

Fairview has definitely improved over the last 5-10 years. The renovations also help a bit more. The tenants are the real reason for a mall to become "upscale", which Fairview doesn't have. They have got some better stores than what used to be there, but in order to achieve a higher status the renovations help to potentially attract them. The food court imo is now better than Yorkdale's.

I was briefly in Fairview recently, and I agree with you, the food court is better than Yorkdale's.

That's not saying much though: Yorkdale's food court is really poor. For such a successful mall, you'd think they'd have a roomier, brighter food court, but in reality it is incredibly noisy and crowded and the selection is not up to scratch.

Heck, even STC's food court has gotten worse over the years...the selection is pretty much the same but the recent renovations killed its previously rather nice aesthetics. The new wing and altered escalators also turn their back on the entrance near the RT and generate substantial crowding. It's hard to believe STC had one of the best food courts, anywhere.

Yorkdale will renovate or build a new food court at some point - Fairview has a temporary edge. Yorkdale's food court is surprisingly small...one wonders if it was a strategic move to discourage mallrats years ago.

I was briefly in Fairview recently, and I agree with you, the food court is better than Yorkdale's.

That's not saying much though: Yorkdale's food court is really poor. For such a successful mall, you'd think they'd have a roomier, brighter food court, but in reality it is incredibly noisy and crowded and the selection is not up to scratch.

Got to Moxies instead. I went there for the first time this past Sunday and it was pretty good food. Very generous portions and the waitress Abby was very nice (the first time my mom was ever impressed with service in about 10 years). I recommend the Crispy Tuna Ahi, that was really good.

Got to Moxies instead. I went there for the first time this past Sunday and it was pretty good food. Very generous portions and the waitress Abby was very nice (the first time my mom was ever impressed with service in about 10 years). I recommend the Crispy Tuna Ahi, that was really good.

I haven't been to the renovated Moxie's yet. Before they relocated it, it wasn't all that great. The whole chain has really gotten better, and I'm sure the revamped Moxie's at Fairview must be pretty good.

Good point, MisterF. A new theatre in downtown St. Catharines would undoubtedly provide some great help to the neighbourhood, and I think the same would hold true for a lot of Ontario downtowns.
Too bad that hasn't happened. Of all the big theatres with stadium seating built since the 90s, the Galaxy in Peterborough is the only one I can think of only one outside Toronto that was built in a downtown with pedestrians in mind. Not even Ottawa has any. Supposedly Galaxy wanted to locate in downtowns around the country, but they all ended up in power centres and malls surrounded by parking. The Galaxy in Waterloo was going to be part of the Waterloo Town Square redevelopment but they ended up going to Conestoga Mall because of neighbourhood opposition. I guess the chain just took the path of least resistence after that.

Major retailers coming soon to Fairview Mall: Apple, Bath & Body Works and Mappins

Bayview village is in a different leage still but that might be changing.

hmm, were these tenats previously located at the current location.

For some on that list you'd think two locations at Farview and here is overkill.

I don't really see why anyone would want to leave Farview now anyway. it's pretty well used particularly after the renovation and quite a few higher end stores (relative to the older state of the mall) have moved in.

Fairview only went more moderate in the 90s and 2000s. Before Rainbow Cinemas, its theatre was a regular Cineplex. Also, there was a Holts at Fairview (maybe it was a Last Call??) until the mid 80s (based on old ads I've seen. I was too young to remember)

The Lego store at Fairview is open on the lower level. It looks very similar to the Sherway location.

The official grand opening is still a little over a week away but you can have a look!

I was at Fairview last week and noticed and popped in for a quick look...also noticed that the space next to it which was Tommy Hilfiger was boarded up and TH had moved upstairs next to the Sears..I wonder what will take the old spot...

I just got an email from them saying that J.Crew is opening a store there. Fairview's website doesn't appear to mention this, however.

I was just at Fairview today and saw the construction hoarding. The sign on the outside said it was opening at the end of October.

Back