News   Apr 19, 2024
 997     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 686     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.1K     3 

News on retail chains (was: New Mall Retail)

How could the structure not be there? Does 1 Dundas W not sit on top of that space?

That's the roof, innit? Only part of the roof at that.

Basically what I'm saying is that it's taking so long because, for all intents and purposes, they're starting from scratch.

How could the structure not be there? Does 1 Dundas W not sit on top of that space?

It rises over the back of the restaurant space, but JJ Muggs used to stick out from under it somewhat. There's a very wide sidewalk/plaza area there, and I imagine the new restaurant may extend out beyond where Muggs did.

good point! Pretty surprising when you think about it.

I swear I recall a new location around Bloor was in the works but maybe that was just an add ...

The best part about Moxies is their broccoli cheese soup! Just make sure you have a gallon of water to drink with/after it. It's very salty.

Toronto's getting a lot of chain stores from other parts of the world. There are some I'd *LIKE* to see here, though, including J.Crew and Ann Taylor (where they actually sell decent-looking petites. I'm short and if I try to buy petite sizes when available so I won't have to get them altered. Right now, my only option is Banana Republic!)

^^^ I have the same problem with Banana Republic's menswear (and most other North American chains). Even their small sizes seem to be geared toward big firefighters and hockey players. I'm about 5'10 and 150 lbs. I don't think I'm far below average size, but their clothing is extremely frumpy without severe alterations.

The European chains (Zara, H&M, Sisley) are a lot better.

^^^ I have the same problem with Banana Republic's menswear (and most other North American chains). Even their small sizes seem to be geared toward big firefighters and hockey players. I'm about 5'10 and 150 lbs. I don't think I'm far below average size, but their clothing is extremely frumpy without severe alterations.

The European chains (Zara, H&M, Sisley) are a lot better.

You're average height, but clothes are cut slightly taller (while the average woman in North America is probably around the 5'4"-5'5" range, clothes are generally cut for someone close to 5'8" while guys' clothes are 6'-ish) and are made roomier. European sizes are generally similar in length, but are definitely a slimmer cut. I do ok with some European clothes, but they're on the long side. US brands are better with the whole length thing. I don't fare all that well with Asian brands because they're not really my style. I'm sort of a hippie/preppy/artsy mix. Very unusual for a CBC (Canadian Born Chinese).

More new tenants announced for the Shops at Don Mills outdoor mall. Most of the tenants already have a location in either Fairview or Bayview Village:
- Anthropologie
- Aritzia (fairview)
- BCBG (fairview)
- Mendocino (bayview village)
- Melanie Lyne (fairview)
- Spanner
- Your Choice (bayview village)
- Barbuti Menswear (bayview village)
- New Balance (bayview village)
- Saloman
- Banana Republic (bayview village)
- Calvin Klein
- Eddie Bauer (fairview)
- Mexx (fairview)
- Guess (fairview\bayview)
- Aldo (fairview)
- Browns (bayview)
- First
- Madison
- Town Shoes (fairview)

Bayview village is in a different leage still but that might be changing.

hmm, were these tenats previously located at the current location.

For some on that list you'd think two locations at Farview and here is overkill.

I don't really see why anyone would want to leave Farview now anyway. it's pretty well used particularly after the renovation and quite a few higher end stores (relative to the older state of the mall) have moved in.

I believe Franco Mirabelli is closing his shop in Yorkdale, it said lease expired on its window front.

There goes the 100% leased :)

Back