News   Apr 24, 2024
 246     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 331     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 664     1 

Emerald City/Parkway Forest: New Rental Buildings (ELAD Canada, various, WZMH)

Nice to see these older, bleak suburbs finally getting some proper streetwall action.

I'm all for urbanization, but I'm feeling very ambivalent about these projects going up along Sheppard (this and Legacy). I'm no longer convinced that simply building condos right up along a car-chocked, 6-lane street will really make the area any less bleak. I wonder if we're making a mistake by trying to impose an urban built form on a suburban streetscape, rather than just working on improving the built form that already exists.

^How exactly do you improve on the existing built form otherwise? I wouldn't call this intensification of late 1960s towers-in-a-park development urban in the sense of" downtown Toronto urban" as you will still a fairly low percentage of lot coverage with a lot of the extra space devoted to driveways. The reasoning behind the new buildings hugging the street probably has alot to do with the limitations in building around an existing apartment block.

The mechanical boxes on top look silly. Buildings that actually front Sheppard with a bit of streetwall will seem less out of place once there are more of them. It's not really a streetwall if there's nothing beside it or across the street...it may seem more pathetic in the interim.

The mechanical boxes on top look silly. Buildings that actually front Sheppard with a bit of streetwall will seem less out of place once there are more of them. It's not really a streetwall if there's nothing beside it or across the street...it may seem more pathetic in the interim.

It's sad to see an interesting midrise intensification effort flawed because of those huge stretches of featureless brick walls. If such ugliness can be built, then I suppose we might just see a development that builds a long block eight entire storeys of nothing but brick wall facing an arterial. Seriously, glass cladding would have looked so much better for those sections.

Giant addresss numbers could look quirky. Heck, why no go full out and back light them with coloured LED.

Here's an up-to-date selection of photos of the rental buildings:

EmeraldCityRentals1.jpg

EmeraldCityRentals2.jpg

EmeraldCityRentals3.jpg

EmeraldCityRentals4.jpg

EmeraldCityRentals5.jpg

EmeraldCityRentals6.jpg

EmeraldCityRentals7.jpg

EmeraldCityRentals8.jpg

I know those large walls of brick up top came in for some criticism when photos were posted of them before... but I like the monumentality they bring to the entrance to the project. I'm not sure I'd want that much blank wall everywhere... but they're placed up high here, not creating dead spaces at ground level, and they help the viewer identify the mirror image arrangement of the buildings lining either side of the road, which turns them into the gates of Emerald City.

I know those large walls of brick up top came in for some criticism when photos were posted of them before... but I like the monumentality they bring to the entrance to the project. I'm not sure I'd want that much blank wall everywhere... but they're placed up high here, not creating dead spaces at ground level, and they help the viewer identify the mirror image arrangement of the buildings lining either side of the road, which turns them into the gates of Emerald City.

I agree strongly.

There are some windows on the rear side of both buildings, but not too many of them. I believe they are windows for the hallways.

Three cheers for the gaping maw of Emerald City! Three cheers for clunky massing and crappy masonry! Follow the yellow brick groan!

Back